Shipping Cookies???

Baking By prettycakes Updated 1 Mar 2006 , 3:58am by golfgirl1227

prettycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycakes Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 6:37pm
post #1 of 13

I would like to ship some sugar cookies to a dear friend of mine whose baby is in desperate need of a liver transplant. They are spending so much time in and out of the hospital and doctors office, that I thought I would send extra to share with nurses and such.

My question...is there a special way to package decorated sugar cookies to ship or should I just get a big box and stuff it with tissue paper, then fill it with cookies?

12 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 13

The most careful way is to wrap them in small packages and box them in a tight fitting box, the put that box inside another with paper or peanuts or bubble wrap, something to cushion the inside box.

A packaging store will do it for you.

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 6:41pm
post #3 of 13

You will want to seal the cookies somehow. I would suggest shrink wrapping them or placing them into a ziplock type bag inside of the box. Also make sure they fit nice and tight in the box so they will not shift around too much.

Here are the two issues I have had with shipping cookies.

1. They get broken due to too much movement in shipping. Or get stale by the time they reach destination if not sealed up.
2. If not sealed tightly I have had ants get into the packaging if left outside once it reaches the destination.

Good luck!

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 13

We used to ship cookies down to Florida every year at Christmas. What my mom came up with was to wrap them well and then we would "pad" the box with air-popped popcorn! It worked really well--none were ever broken.

OR--you could always take them to a shipping place and pack them in those packing peanuts. I would just make sure they are cushioned very well or they will break. I don't think tissue will be enough, but that's JMO.

HTH!

Lisa

Cakeman66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeman66 Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by llj68

We used to ship cookies down to Florida every year at Christmas. What my mom came up with was to wrap them well and then we would "pad" the box with air-popped popcorn! It worked really well--none were ever broken.

OR--you could always take them to a shipping place and pack them in those packing peanuts. I would just make sure they are cushioned very well or they will break. I don't think tissue will be enough, but that's JMO.

HTH!

Lisa

Here's a thought. If you are going to make popcorn, practically everyone loves some form of it. Except of course those who can't stand it. Anyway, How about putting the popcorn salted or wahtever maybe even Carmel Corn or cheese corn in plastic bags, and then they not only get packing, they get popcorn they can enjoy later too.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 10:33pm
post #6 of 13

I would put the cookies in plastic bags. Put thin layer of faom peanuts in bottom of box. Get some foam sheeting and line the box with it. Layer cookies and a piece of foam sheet between each one. Add more foam peanuts to ensure there is no movement but don't over-stuff the box. You could also make them smaller and put all the cookies in a tin. Pack them tightly but don't force them in. Bury the tin in foam peanuts.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 10:34pm
post #7 of 13

Just what I need to know about.....well, let me read on!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Amy

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 10:40pm
post #8 of 13

Thank you all for the packaging information.

I am so sorry to hear about your friends baby!!!

Amy

Sherryb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherryb Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 2:35am
post #9 of 13

I shipped cookies to my nephew in Iraq. I wrapped them in cookies bags and used airpopped popcorn. I don't bag the popcorn because it will absorb any moisture. I just layer the cookies and popcorn (I use alot of popcorn.
I have done this several times will all kinds of cookies and they always get there unbroken. My nephew and all of his ship mates say they are still delicious....and they usually eat the popcorn, too icon_biggrin.gif
It takes 2 weeks or longer for a package to get to him.

Sherry

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 3:09am
post #10 of 13

I wrapped my in plastic then wrapped them in bubble wrap filled the box with those crinkley colored basket filler thingys ( icon_lol.gif ) ..........don't know if it worked they should arrive tomorrow ...I will let you know icon_biggrin.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 3:17am
post #11 of 13

Here is a link from Karens Cookies on how to ship cookies.

http://www.karenscakes.com/cookies/howto_shipstore.htm

Hope this helps!!

Laurel icon_smile.gif

prettycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycakes Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 11:20pm
post #12 of 13

You guys are great!!! Thanks for all of the great ideas. I will definatly put some to use for this one.

Kerri

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 3:58am
post #13 of 13

I ordered some cookies for shower favors once and this is how they came- each cookie was in a clear bag tied with ribbon. That was placed in a little "pouch" made from bubble wrap (small bubble). There was a layer of bubble wrap (the big bubbles) inside the box, then some packing peanuts, then a layer of cookies, then a layer of packing peanuts, then a layer of cookies......etc. then a layer of bubble wrap with large bubbles on the top- probably a couple of layers actually. They arrived perfectly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%