Just Starting To Make Cookies And Decorate Them

Baking By cparkman Updated 22 Feb 2006 , 7:54pm by MaraCarter

cparkman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cparkman Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone,
We are just starting to make cookies and try and decorate them.
We like to use large cookies like 3inches or largers and use some in
cookie bouquets.
I dont have any tools yet for applying frosting or any tips for outlining,
I like any help like which tips I need and a good cookie recipe.
Also is it more economical to make our icing or use something i saw in wiltons book called ice.a.cookie.
Thanks any help or suggestions where to look will be appreciated.

Crystal

6 replies
Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 7

I have a great cookie recipe. It is an almond butter cookie. Has a wonderful flavor and holds up very well to decorating and bouqueting. I used it on my Valentine bouquets you can see in my photos. The cookies are not too sweet so they pair nicely with royal icing. My favorite icing is Antonia74's cookie icing that you can find in the recipe section on CC.

Here is the cookie recipe:
Almond Butter Cookies

1C butter (softened)
8oz. cream cheese (softened)
1 1/2 C sugar
1 large egg
1tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. almond extract
3 1/2 C flour
1 tsp. baking powder

Cream butter and cream cheese until combined. Add sugar and beat until fluffy. Add egg, vanilla and almondextract and beat until combined.

In another bowl stir together flour and baking powder. Add and mix until combined. Divide into 2 balls and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Chill until firm.

Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thick, cut into cookies and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 fo 9-12 minutes or until edges are slightly browned.

jmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmcakes Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 7

I tried the No Fail Sugar cookies but didn't have much luck...I think I used to much flour so I am gonna try agian. You will need royal icing for the icing of the cookie. I am not sure about the ice-a-cookie by wilton. But let me know how it turns out. I might make some cookies tonight and try to post the..Good Luck and keep me posted on how it turns out for you .~MELISSA~

parismom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
parismom Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 6:06pm
post #4 of 7

I never used ice-a-cookie but I have decorated alot of cookies. I would think making the icing yourself would be alot cheaper and you could make more for less than anything you'd buy pre-made for convenience.

jmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmcakes Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 6:09pm
post #5 of 7

I will have to try the almond cookies..those sound good. I will let you know how I did.

cparkman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cparkman Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 7:42pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks so much I will try the almond recipe and get the icing from the recipe file.
Thanks so much, for everyones help. we make our first cookie this weekend, just to try and see if we have it in us.
Thanks again and oh I have been looking at the post and information and photos, your a very talented group, hope we can get there.

crystal

MaraCarter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaraCarter Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 7:54pm
post #7 of 7

Hi Crystal,
Go to kitchen collectables website. I believe it is kitchengifts.com. The lady that owns it her name is Lesley. She has put alot of usefull info together on the website for decorating cookies. Plus they have a ton of cookie cutters and other supplies.
They have plastic decorating bottles that you can put your wilton cake decorating tips on it and it works great for decorating sugar cookies.
Mara

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%