Questions/need Help With Penny's Cookie Recipe

Baking By CakesByEllen Updated 21 Mar 2007 , 2:46pm by mccakegal

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 2:06am
post #1 of 11

Hi Everyone,

I need some help with Penny's Cookie Recipe. I made the recipe tonight, but in
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-159661-pennys.html
it says to use 2 TABLESPOONS of vanilla extract. I assumed this was a mistake and it should be 2 teaspoons. Can someone confirm that, or just re-post the recipe?

The recipe also says there is no need to refrigerate the dough. I found the dough soft, and ended up rolling out sheets between saran wrap, and refrigerating the sheets before cutting. Did I do something wrong? Should I have added more flour or something? I weighed the flour to get the correct amount.

I have to say the taste is awesome. Much better than my first attempt at cookies using the NFSC recipe. They really didn't spread much, if at all. I rolled the first batch a little thick, and they did spread a little, but the second batch was thinner and I don't think they spread at all.

I covered them in MMF, and they taste great! Thanks for the recipe!

10 replies
nattyk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nattyk Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 2:33am
post #2 of 11

Here is the original copy of the recipe

http://www.texasmonthly.com/mag/issues/2000-12-01/statefare.php

I've used it and I rolled mine out between parchment, cut them and then set in fridge, took out and removed excess dough and then baked.
They turned out great. I have never tried the NFSC recipe, but read where some were having trouble with it being dry when they worked with it, etc. So I tried this and was very happy. The recipes are pretty much the same except for the liquid in Penneys. I am going to substitute coffee creamer for the cream next time I try them. Good luck!

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 2:04pm
post #3 of 11

nattyk - Thanks for the info. I can't believe it uses 2 TABLESPOONS of vanilla.

Does anyone that uses this recipe add extra flour to make it more workable? It just seemed too soft to cut/work with (without refrigerating)?

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 2:15pm
post #4 of 11

I agree that it's absolutely too soft to work with without refrigerating for a while. I think popping it into the fridge for a bit is a perfectly good solution!!

alibugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alibugs Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 2:21pm
post #5 of 11

I made them last night also. I think it was too soft also. I stuck it on parchment paper. The Penny's Cookies are really soft. I'm not sure if I like them. I have made NFSC before. I think I may like them a tad bit more. They were dryer but I don't think they were hard to work with at all.
Does anyone use this recipe for bouquets.

amiegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amiegirl Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 7:50pm
post #6 of 11

I just used Penny's for the Dora cookies (see my photos) and ended up adding an extra cup of flour AND chilling before I could handle them easily. NFSC has a better texture to handle but not nearly as good tasting!! I'm making some more today for 2 bouquets I need so I will see if it works out the same. Good luck!!!

littlelovebugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlelovebugs Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 2:55pm
post #7 of 11

I found penny's easier to work with after I chilled the dough in the refridge, too. To me the dough is easier to work with then the nfsc
Sharon

mccakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccakegal Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 8:00am
post #8 of 11

I'm really surprised by all the trouble with Penny's dough. I have made hundreds (possibly thousands at this point) of cookies with it and not once have I had to refrigerate it.

The recipe that I have talks a lot about not overmixing it at any one step. Also don't over soften the butter. It works much better if it is still pretty solid.

My version of Penny's recipe is off the Food network website. It is the same recipe that was posted above, just double. But the important part is the directions about mixing.

Here's the link: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_21352,00.html?rsrc=search

I hope this helps.

Joshsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshsmom Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 10:48am
post #9 of 11

I love Penny's recipe and find it tastes much better than the NFS and it much easier to work with. With the NFSC I had a hard time with it as it was very crumbly in the mixer and my taste testers (DH and DS) didn't like it.

I only chilled the dough after I rolled and cut it out and then popped it into the oven after that.

Sunshine93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshine93 Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 1:50pm
post #10 of 11

The recipe on the Food Network site is double ...but it says 4 teaspoons vanilla. Shouldn't it be 4 Tablespoons? Now I'm confused...

mccakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccakegal Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 2:46pm
post #11 of 11

Yes it should be 4 TBS, not teaspoons.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%