Air Bubbles In Icing....

Decorating By golfgirl1227 Updated 18 Feb 2016 , 6:49pm by lisajcake

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 17

Please help me get rid of these air bubbles. They are driving me nuts. They always come at the worst time too, like when piping on the decoration of the cake. I don't use the whip attachment for the mixer.

Other than that, I have no clue.

TIA,
Suz

16 replies
thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 17

bump!

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 4:01pm
post #3 of 17

In buttercream????

Wandootie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wandootie Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 4:06pm
post #4 of 17

I get airbubbles in by buttercream, too. But mine are when I spead the icing on the cake...just makes it harder to smooth.

Any advise?

Wanda

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 17

I bumped because I want to know too! I made a batch of bc Sunday for a cake for this weekend and I can tell it's going to be a problem by looking at it. I was hoping that a hot spatula might melt it together but any suggestions would be great! I'm not sure what happeded - i've never had that problem before.

Debbie

Phoov Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 17

Sometimes, I think my BC is not thinned enough for spreading. My personal opinion is to smooth to my best ability...and then get over it! It seems that good decorating draws one's eye away from little imperfections in the icing layer anyway. This is why God made basketweave, sotas, fondant, and cornelli lace!!!! LOL!

golfgirl1227 Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 5:43pm
post #7 of 17

Yes, it's BC. But they are coming out of the decorating bag- when I'm piping it. Not the icing layer on the cake. Well, they are there too, but I can generally smooth those. I can't smooth a piped swirl on the side of the cake.

Phoov Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 5:52pm
post #8 of 17

Wierd....what BC receipe are you using? I use half crisco/half butter usually and don't have a problem with this. Are you using meringue powder in the icing? I DO....but have heard that it doesn't really help. I don't ever "whip" it........ I don't know it that would matter or not. I just cream it until it's well mixed and smooth with the paddle attachment.

What sugar do you use? I just use CH powdered sugar, so certainly nothing fancy there.

Wish I could be more help. Could it be too dry????? Now that's a thought. How about adding a little more liquid. I use whipping cream when I have it and I really think it makes a creamier BC. This might just be the problem.....

Good Luck.

(I was in KC last weekend...played on the Plaza with my sis and nieces....fun!)

golfgirl1227 Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 6:21pm
post #9 of 17

In all actuality, we were using the bucket o' icing from Wilton because it was on a dummy cake. We tinted the icing, mixing it in the KA, and there are air bubbles everywhere.

Normally, I don't use the bucket icing. Just didn't want to mess with making a bunch of icing on this dummy cake.

Maybe that's the problem.

Phoov Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 6:24pm
post #10 of 17

.....could be. I've never tried that stuff. Why can't you try thinning the bucket stuff just to see if that might be the problem. Might be worth knowing for future reference??????

golfgirl1227 Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 6:32pm
post #11 of 17

Definitely. Thanks for the ideas!

I love the Plaza! All the fountains, people, everything. Glad you had a good time!

PinkPanther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkPanther Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 9:32pm
post #12 of 17

I believe air bubbles can be caused by overbeating. I have read that on this site, and also it happened to me the last time I used a mixer to add color. HTH! icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 1:01am
post #13 of 17

Airbubbles in icing can come from mixing at too high of a speed and/or for mixing too long.

MeloMiMi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeloMiMi Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 1:23am
post #14 of 17

I thought the air bubbles are from not burping after you refill your icing bag and start piping again. I also have a problem with this . I thought I was not pushing the icing often enough toward the tip.

mami2sweeties Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mami2sweeties Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 4:13am
post #15 of 17

I have read on other posts about letting your buttercream sit a few minutes and then mixing it by hand with a scraper type spatula and it should deflate it some. I tried it and it seems to get quite a bit of the bubbles out. I only have a whisk attachment to I have to do this.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 7:45am
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgirl1227

Please help me get rid of these air bubbles. They are driving me nuts. They always come at the worst time too, like when piping on the decoration of the cake. I don't use the whip attachment for the mixer.

Other than that, I have no clue.

TIA,
Suz

The odd time when I get bubbles in my icing I take my spatula and I fold the icing over on itself and pull the flat side of spatula through the icing and up the side of the bowl.

I usually do this when I am mixing the colour in to my icing. I find that pressing the icing on the side of the bowl gets rid of any troublesome bubbles.

My friend told me it reminded her of an artist mixing paint on his palette.

Well I hope this helps a bit.

lisajcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisajcake Posted 18 Feb 2016 , 6:49pm
post #17 of 17

I usually find that I get more air bobbles if I beat the buttercream too long. I stir with a flat wide spatula and that does help to deflate the icing somewhat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%