May Never Shop Wal-Mart Again!

Lounge By Mac Updated 28 Feb 2006 , 3:58pm by Tiramisu

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 60

You know Wal-mart always promotes how much they do for the community and giving back, well, I think it's a farce. I went in today to BUY 12 donut boxes for a project with special education kids and was told that Wal-mart does not sell their supplies. Now I know they don't sell the cake kits anymore, but, c'mon, boxes???

I just as soon pay higher prices than return to Wal-Mart!!!

Sorry just had to vent!

59 replies
TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 60

I saw a Frontline episode on Wal-Mart and my opinion about them changed drastically... It's not a good change either!! I haven't been shopping there since seeing the show!!

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 60

I had that problem too. I needed cupcake containers, but they wouldn't budge. The bakeries won't sell them either, like I'm REALLY going to take away their business! PLEASE!! icon_rolleyes.gif So, I have to go online or drive an hour to get boxes, what a pain!!!

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 3:34pm
post #4 of 60

POWER CORRUPTS!!!!!!! icon_smile.gif

Twins5485 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Twins5485 Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 3:40pm
post #5 of 60

I don't know where any of you are located. But Kroger and Food Lion give them away if you need them... I'm actually in Tennesse so this may not work for some. I ran into the same thing with Walmart. Also our local donut shop was more than happy to give me a few. Just food for thought... Good Luck!

ayost43 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayost43 Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 3:55pm
post #6 of 60

I apologize in advance if this offends anyone. It is not meant to.

Actually Wal-Mart has some major issues with who they give their money to. I don't know peoples back grounds so I won't say who they are giving the money to, so I don't offend anyone, but trust me it made many people very angry around the area where they gave it out. My DH use to work as a pharmacist for them and we couldn't even afford there good health insurance it was over $300 every 2 weeks for 2 people. He left Wal-Mart very recently and when he was they told him that Wal-Mart may not carry any insurance other than the Wal-Mart insurance soon. Which trust doesn't cover anything.

Add as far as their prices being better...in most cases they aren't. If you just clip a few coupons and buy a few items on sale you can save a lot more money. Don't get me wrong some things are very cheap there but most items can found cheaper elsewhere. And for many of they cheaper items quality is definitely compromised.

As far as customer service goes I am never happy when I am in there. No one will help you with anything. I wanted for 35 minutes one day just to have someone get something down from a top shelf (if it wasn't something my mom had asked me to pick up I would have left), they kept calling and calling people and no one would come. Some employees are helpful but the majority are not. I can't blame them for what they are paid and what they are asked to do I wouldn't be happy either. You have to be employee oriented to be customer oriented and Wal-Mart is neither. They are money oriented and they don't care who they crush on the way to being the richest.

In conclusion I HATE WAL-MART!! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif I think the world could be a better place without it.

jmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmcakes Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 4:02pm
post #7 of 60

Just wanted to say my Grandpa feels the same way..lol..but an older lady in my course 2 class works at a wal mart near me and she says they pay very well...She is no management postiotn or anything but I thought what kind of jobs have you had if you think walmart pays good?" Just wanted to get in on the conversation.

Twins5485 Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 4:03pm
post #8 of 60

I didn't think you were passing judgement nor was I offended. You are actually right on the money with Walmart. I cut coupons all the time and have a harder time using them at Walmart than anywhere else. But guess what ? Walmart is the closest grocery store to me so I just wheel right in the parking lot. I spend a ton of money and come home with nothing. They have a Monopoly and don't care if anyone is unhappy with what they have to offer. Think about it.. They aren't losing anything. Which is sad in a sense. Hope you have a good day!

Cassandra

frstech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frstech Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 4:07pm
post #9 of 60

I Love shoppng at Albertsons and Brookshires here because they make me feel like a person not as a source of money. I only go to Walmart if they have something these two don't have (which is usually clothing). I have always been a supporter of the "little man" and have always seen Walmart as "death to the "little man" I never buy cake decorating stuff in there, I go to Hobby Lobby, Michaels or online. I here there are excellent sources for boxes on line and when I really get going on decorating for others other than family and friends, I will look to those sources.

stylishbite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stylishbite Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 4:09pm
post #10 of 60

I ask them for a big box (cake) so I could buy/put a large amount of donuts in, which they gave me with a smile... to which I used to put 5 donuts in for my family icon_lol.gif the girl at the check out looked at my huge box funny with only 5 small donuts in it, but said nothing icon_biggrin.gif ask for 5 donut (cake) boxes and put one in each box icon_biggrin.gif that will fix'em!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 4:12pm
post #11 of 60

I go to Walmart alot but its never alot of fun. One time I had a clerk who seemed to want to insist that I couldn't use any of my coupons. I had fully read the coupons, they were within their dates, I had purchased the items on the coupons, but she had some reason she didn't want to take every last one of them. Finally she asked a manager and gave me most of them but still didn't allow one or two. Probably because they were larger coupons. I usually am very kind and never argue...its the first time I ever got in an argument with a store clerk! icon_redface.gif

Twins5485 Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 4:13pm
post #12 of 60

I wish we had an Albertson's but the closest is in Nashville. We've had alot of smaller grocery store close do the Walmart coming in. They had the freshest of everything and now we are having to deal with all the prepackaged meats Walmart carries now..Which clearly aren't good for your health. I need to stop cause the more I think about it the more upset I get. I think I need to start driving farther for better quality.

cakecrazymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecrazymom Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 4:30pm
post #13 of 60

Well, I have to admit...I LOVE WAL-MART! You can have bad customer service anywhere. I haven't experienced any worse service at wal-mart than any other store. Infact I would say it's pretty good. When it comes to coupons and price matching it has never been a problem. Their prices are great. I have to admit that sometimes (especially when it comes to clothing) you get what you pay for (not a good thing). They are always willing to take things back even without a reciept. To me that shows that they want me to be happy with what I purchase. I have 5 children and the convenience of a one stop shop is wonderful! It has been especially good for us because we live in a small town. We used to have to drive and hour for everything but now we have Wal Mart! And it has brought alot more jobs to our area. Just my two cents.

-Happy Wal-Mart Shopper!

Twins5485 Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 4:36pm
post #14 of 60

You have made a good point in regards to Walmart. I can sum it up as we aren't going to be happy with everything and everyone.. Thanks for making your point and bringing a light to my eyes which I failed to realize. I will eat my words and agree they overall are a good thing for many.

monstersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monstersmom Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 4:41pm
post #15 of 60

When I needed cupcake holders and cake boxes, I asked my local grocery store bakery(Shaw's), and they were happy to help. The bakery manager gave me 15 cupcake holders for free. I did have to pay for the cake boxes, but they were the nice plastic trays with the clear plastic domes, but they only charged me $1.00 a piece.
As far as Wal-Mart goes, I'm finding that it's going down hill fast. No matter which one I go into, I get frustrated thumbsdown.gif . I really can't wait until Target is openednear by. thumbs_up.gif

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 4:46pm
post #16 of 60

I am torn when it comes to Walmart. I try to get groceries elsewhere but sometimes the convenience is too much to pass up. I only go there when I have a lot to do and no time to run all over the place. I try spread my money around town when I can.

There are a lot of good and bad points to any shopping experience. Customer service is pretty low everywhere. Many people just don't understand (or care) how to treat customers.

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 4:51pm
post #17 of 60

WAL-MART SUCKS.

But that's just my 2 cents.

BayouGatorFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BayouGatorFan Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 4:53pm
post #18 of 60

I was A LOT happier with Wal-Mart in the early days when they sold a lot more items made in the USA and spent a lot of money advertising it. They certainly didn't create as much fanfare when they started replacing USA made items with cheaper, foriegn ones. I too have found that I can get equal or better prices on most of the things I need at other locations. On other items and services, the small savings Wal-Mart might give isn't enough incentive for me to spend my money there. I look for ANY store other than Wal-Mart for my needs. I didn't see the Frontline piece, but I know people that WORKED for Wal-Mart and have drawn my own conclusion that I can't spend my money there with peace of mind.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 4:56pm
post #19 of 60

Well, the bad thing is I used to work for Wal-Mart. Did this when I was going through college. And I KNOW they are money-oriented. They treated the employees like s*** unless you had been there umteen years. I can't imagine staying there any longer than I had to.

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 5:02pm
post #20 of 60

I don't know about how they treat their employees, but I live on an island with limited shopping and I love walmart. It is a lot cheaper than the mom & pop shops in the area. We have no target, albertsons, fred meyer, sears, I could keep going. Walmart is the only place within an hour that has cake decorating supplies and the two other stores on the island one that is an hour away and the other is 2 1/2 hours away (ben franklins), don't have anymore selection than the walmart that is 15 minutes from my house. As far as walmart not selling their boxes/supplies, It's not just walmart. I've been to my local KTA and another local grocery store and they both told me no. Without Walmart, I wouldn't be able to afford the household items that I need.

Lemondrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemondrop Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 5:05pm
post #21 of 60

I live in the East of Canada, and I go to Walmart often, and the people are always nice. Never had a problem. Now, if we were talking about Michael's icon_rolleyes.gif

alise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alise Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 5:10pm
post #22 of 60

I normally get the birds bedding there and that is about it, I think I look around the store and end up walking out with nothing, because I know I can go to target and the same stuff for almost the same price and not have to fight the long lines or the parking lot! Cake mixes are the same price at target, also our Michaels is in the same complex as Target, very convenient!

lotsoftots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lotsoftots Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 5:11pm
post #23 of 60

You got upset because they wouldn't sell you something they don't sell? That doesn't make much sense to me. I would have called around to see if someone could help me out before I just walked in assuming they would sell me something that isn't normal merchandise. Or just bought them online.

I have a love/hate relationship with WalMart. Still, I would miss it something terrible if they were to close up shop.

Jill-o Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jill-o Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 5:14pm
post #24 of 60

think that's bad I use to work for Wal-Mart, and unless you are salary you don't make s#!@, and the management acted like you are sub human or something, and don't even think of mentioning the word Union! In training you have to watch a video on the dangers of union and how to aviod unions. There was a woman who had been 7years in the same deptmartment and only made $6+ an hour!! And they wouldn't let her move to another department. thumbsdown.gif

sgmaluv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgmaluv Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 5:15pm
post #25 of 60

I am not a Wal-Mart fan. I much prefer Target, who donates money to local schools. The stores are cleaner and more organized, and the help friendlier. I know not everyone is in a position to do so, but I don't mind paying a few cents more for a more pleasant shopping experience. The last time I went to Wal-Mart was to return a gift after Christmas. They had one register open and a line of people out the door. It took well over an hour. And both my husband and I ended up catching a bug there and were sick for the rest of our Christmas vacation!

just my 2 cents! I have many friends who still shop at Wal-Mart and I don't judge them at all.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 5:22pm
post #26 of 60

I hate Walmart! Once we got the Super Walmart my feelings changed. I liked it until about a year after it opened. Service is horrible, the shelves are always empty. I do shop there for somethings but food is not one of them.

The biggest thing that turned me away from Walmart was this.. FireFighters do the "Shake the Boot" drive to raise money for MS (Jerry's kids). We used to be allowed to stand at the doors of Walmart & "shake the boot's". Walmart won't allow us to do that any longer. So now FireFighters have to stand at the busy intersections while cars are going back & forth to shake the boot. Then we also found out that Walmart won't let the Salvation Army stand there either! I'm not a fan of soliciting but Jerry's Kids & Salvation Army have helped out a lot of people! Fine organizations! Each organization only does these fund raisers 1 time a year. No big deal to Walmart. They are just un-American!

I shop at Brookshires or the base commissary. My goodness I sure miss Food Lion! We used to live in Hampton, VA. Is it still a great place? I loved it!!

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 5:29pm
post #27 of 60

I knew I forgot something....

Another reason why I don't shop Walmart is that they have their "smiley" people at that door. Well... on several occasions after I have shopped & paid for my stuff I have gotten to the doors & the "smiley" people tell me that they need to check my bags! NOT! I am an honest person, I pay for everything I have & I have the receipt in hand when I walk out the door. I refuse to allow them to look into my bags! They have camera's & detectives all over that store, they have no right to look into anyones bags! I refuse, they told me I can't just walk out the door. I then tell them to call the police! Cause I'm not stopping. Police have never been called on me but if they do I will be sueing the hell out of Walmart. Walmart is a money grubbing place. Sam Walton must be turning over in his grave!

Now if the alarm goes off when I'm walking out the door I do stop & let them check my bags. It's because the cashier forgot to take those electric tags off of items. That doesn't happen much but it has happened to me.

gottacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottacake Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 5:35pm
post #28 of 60

Do you think that Wal-mart should provide to any group needing something at a given time because it's a charity? Did you ask other stores? I'm sure TARGET has the same policy too. How about letting us know which stores did give and which didn't. Please don't single out and slander Wal-mart just because you didn't get what you wanted. Be fair. And when people respond by saying that Wal-mart isn't interested in giving, I know for a fact that Wal-mart is an extremely charitable organization. At my college in Arkasas they have provided FREE college education for over 700 poor students. Read it for yourself...

http://www.jbu.edu/international/walton/index.asp

Walton International Scholars Program (WISP)

The Walton International Scholarship Program provides a quality education for the brightest and most capable students from Central America and Mexico. After studying in a democratic environment and being exposed to the principles of free enterprise at work, students are required to return to their home countries.

The goal of the Walton International Scholarship Program is to provide the leadership necessary to strengthen democracy and improve living conditions throughout the region.

Now in the 19th year, the program is a resounding success. More than 700 students have completed bachelors degrees and returned home, where the value of an American education is unmistakable. We are privileged at JBU to be one of the three Arkansas schools to be chosen to host the Walton International Scholarship Program.

alise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alise Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 5:35pm
post #29 of 60

For some reason I beep when I walk in or out the doors at most stores, there is something in my purse that sets it off! I have dumped the damn thing out and found nothing that would do it! So last week I go to Wal-Mart and I beeped walking in, the smiley guy says what do you have!" I'm like I just walked in and you say me! Oh I was so mad! I almost just left!

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 5:40pm
post #30 of 60

We will all hate Wal-mart when they run all the other smaller stores out of business, then raise their prices higher than ever! In my opinion, That is what is ahead. That is one reason that I try to stick with the smaller stores, other than the fact that like everyone else has said, customer service at Wal-Mart is lousey.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%