Fondant Wrap Cakes - What Do You Think? (Link Included)

Decorating By emmascakes Updated 17 Jun 2007 , 9:38pm by cakeatopia

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 1:01pm
post #1 of 16

In search of ideas for a very irritating bride I came across 'wrap cakes' on Sweetarts web-site, here is a link to one of her cakes in this style:
http://www.sweetart.com.au/view.php?pos=64

The bride in question wants a three tiered cake, but with each tier being double height and I think this kind of style might be the answer! Have any of you tried this? What do you think? Do you think t's normal fondant or mixed with gum paste to help it keep the shape?

15 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 16

Wow...the cakes are very beautiful and intricate on the site!!Boy that would be one thick cake...double tiers..Hmmmm.I wouldn't use gumpaste as it will get to hard to cut and tends to cracks.Fondant should be fine!!

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 2:04pm
post #3 of 16

Woweeeee! Those are so gorgeous! She is amazingly artistic!!!!! My mouth stayed dropped open with every cake I viewed (just like I do with yours Emma icon_surprised.gif )

It may be fondant or it may be chocolate wraps. I'm not sure. But what I am sure of is that you of all people can do this thumbs_up.gif

emmascakes Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 16

It's definitely not chocolate - it has the whiteness of fondant, or some sugarpaste and they normally say if it's chocolate. I think it would actually be easier than smooth coating a cake with fondant as the creases and folds of the fabric effect will hide a multitude of sins. I'm so lazy!

emmascakes Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 8:20pm
post #5 of 16

A VERY VERY long time after I posted this initial query I have finally made the cake in question. I based the idea on the fondant wrap cakes in the link above, but mine turned out really different looking (more by accident than design!)

I covered the cake in normal fondant and let that dry a bit. Then I tipped the cake up so that it was at an angle (I don't have a tilting turntable so just propped it up on a book edge.) Then I rolled sausages of petal paste and fondant mix (half of each) through my pasta machine (hand cranked) and draped the fondant around the cake, arranged it in pleats and folds as I went. I used sugar glue to paste the cake with before draping the petal paste on. I then covered any dodgy looking bits with flowers that I punched out and finished with a bead of royal icing in the centre of each one. The paste was all ivory and I finished it off with a spray of PME pearl lustre spray.

The cake was very high and very big and I built it so that it faced the top table at the wedding and then found out it was the present table so I had it facing the wrong way. Fortunately the stand its on was easily swivelled round. The caterers made this stand out of a huge disc of glass set on top of shot glasses - it looked really clean, simple and stylish - I will definitely steal this idea as my cakes can look odd on traditional silver cake stands.

So, anyone now thinking of making a fondant wraped cake - I've tested it out now and it wasn't too hard, but not for the faint hearted!
LL

mdsquared Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdsquared Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 10:47pm
post #6 of 16

That is incredible, Emma!!!

kuki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kuki Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 2:34am
post #7 of 16

I love all the work that you do!! You are a master!! Someday I want to make cakes like yours")

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 3:02am
post #8 of 16

AMAZING!!!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 3:20am
post #9 of 16

Very sophisticated and glamorous Emma. The stand was a brilliant idea, I may steal that one myself.

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 3:44am
post #10 of 16

i did a fondant wrap, although mine was using dummy cakes, i love the look of these cakes..

Mine is no way near as big and detailed as your gorgeous one...

here is mine from a few months ago..

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=279223

cheers

kylie

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 5:46am
post #11 of 16

Wonderful cakes....both of you!!

emmascakes Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 5:57am
post #12 of 16

Thanks for posting your wrap cake Kylie - it looks much neater than mine! Also the folds seem to be thicker than mine which gives it a softer feel. Maybe I was being too stingy with the sugarpaste?

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 2:51pm
post #13 of 16

Ohhhh, Emma - gorgeous cake! Yours, too, Kylie. In a recent class with Nicholas Lodge, he gave us a 70% fondant/30% gumpaste mix to use for drapes - said it gave enough strength to hold but enough elasticity to drape nicely. I love this look - you did an excellent job.

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 9:07pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmascakes

Thanks for posting your wrap cake Kylie - it looks much neater than mine! Also the folds seem to be thicker than mine which gives it a softer feel. Maybe I was being too stingy with the sugarpaste?

thanks emma

my fondant probably was a little thicker, i used strips aswell and just folded them over to give it that soft look... Not sure if it was a real cake, what cutting it would be like with all that fondant on it......lol.

cheers

kylie

Martina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Martina Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 9:30pm
post #15 of 16

Awesome! Both cakes are stunning!

cakeatopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatopia Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 9:38pm
post #16 of 16

Oh WOW, both of you! Gorgeous cakes. Thanks for sharing--I love looking at other's work, but can only dream of doing that someday. I will admit, I do get a bit jealous of all the talent(in a good way, though icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%