Can I Color Fondant If I Already Made It?

Decorating By ilovelaina Updated 17 Mar 2007 , 6:46am by Sugarbunz

ilovelaina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilovelaina Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 3:33am
post #1 of 6

making a last minute cake for my daughter b-day tomorrow and i need to color my fondant. Will wilton coloring work?

5 replies
GIAcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIAcakes Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 3:59am
post #2 of 6

sure. I color the white premade wilton fondant all the time. Your hands are just going to get a workout! Wilton color will work.

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 4:06am
post #3 of 6

Oh, yes...I always make mine white so I can use different colors and not get stuck with one batch all one color.

I like to put the fondant in the microwave for about 10 seconds (for a full batch of fondant) at a time until it is soft, then I take a toothpick and put the coloring on my fondant, then crisco my hands and knead. It doesn't take too much kneading if your fondant is soft. Just be careful not to over heat it because the fondant gets hot!

MelZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelZ Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 4:12am
post #4 of 6

I always make mine white and then color it later. If you are going to make it a dark color, make sure you wear gloves. I was doing a dark purple and just used crisco on my hands and had to use a bleach pen on my hands to get the color back to normal. lol.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 6:36am
post #5 of 6

I second the gloves for dark colors suggestion. On Monday night, I made some black fondant for a Black Belt cake, and didn't want to bother with gloves. After washing two loads of dishes and taking a shower, the tint was gone from most of my skin, but it took until today for the fuschia-ish tint to finally fade away from around my cuticles. (I can't come in contact with bleach, or I would have tried that.)

RedPanda

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 6:46am
post #6 of 6

Absolutely. I actually consider coloring fondant as part of my exercise routine for my arm workout icon_wink.gif It's tough, but it will get done! I usually don't color until it is made because I never know what I'm going to be doing! More work? Yes. But look at the benefits. I can tell the doctor I *do* workout!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%