Help Please!!!!! Im Going To Cry.

Decorating By Lejla Updated 17 Mar 2007 , 2:42pm by cakes21

Lejla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lejla Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 12:31am
post #1 of 28

I spent the whole entire day today baking and decorating this little buger. The lady wanted it done with cake mix and store bought icing.I used 8 cake mixes and 9 containers of icing,the thing weights a ton.It was all OK until it was time to do the cars.Which yoy can see look like the first grader made them.I don't know if I was really tired by this point or what.But they sure did not co-operate.Something is missing,please tell me what.It just looks sooooooo ugly icon_cry.gif .I told the lady I would charge her $50 for it,but Im not sure if it is worth that now.I can't think,my mind is absolutely exausted, so is my body.Please,please pretty please tell me your honest opinions.I won't get offended, I promise.Just tell me if I should be charging that much for it or not.Thank you guys. icon_redface.gif
LL

27 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 12:35am
post #2 of 28

there's your answer...

you are exhausted.

the only thing I see missing is the message and I would carry the green border all the way around the top.

a border at bottom would be nice too.

BUT not now.....go get some rest -- a long soak in the tub -- a double shot of (fill in fav. beverage for when need calming soothing)....a nice backrub.

and then finish it up later, like tomorrow morning.

you did a great job -- especially on his face!

----

oh and $50 is a steal!

milal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milal Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 12:41am
post #3 of 28

Your are suffering from sleep deprevation! The cake looks great. I agree that I would continue the green border. Ohterwise, dont think that cake is not worth $50. You will see it different tomorrow.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 12:45am
post #4 of 28

I scrolled down thinking I was going to see something awful.... icon_eek.gif

Your cake is GREAT. And if it didn't go as well as you wanted, well that's what your customer gets for demanding canned frosting. I'm amazed you did so well with it! It is easily worth more than $50. Take a nap, hot bath, drink some hot cocoa, and then come back and look at it later. I know exactly how you're feeling, but it will seem different after you get a break.

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 12:54am
post #5 of 28

Woman, for what you are able to do with canned frosting, you deserve a Big O Tip. I echo the others, "what problem?" Go relax and carry on the green border later.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 1:17am
post #6 of 28

Let me duplicate the "what problem?" echo here. Here's my standard answer when someone feels pitiful about a creation (and it may be 'standard' but it's true!): The people at the party have NO IDEA how to create something like this so whatever you do, they will think it's awesome!!!

They are not going to notice whatever problems you see. They are going to be in awe of this magnificent piece of work you've done!

You're way underpriced at $50. 8 mixes? I only use 7 for a 3-tier wedding cake to serve 100, so if this serves 100 people, you're only getting 50 cents a serving. It's worth WAY more.

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 1:49am
post #7 of 28

I agree with continuing the border and the only other thing I see is that the icing on the bottom cake is a little thin in a spot or two, but this is one amazing cake and well worth $50.00!!

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 1:53am
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcake412

I agree with continuing the border and the only other thing I see is that the icing on the bottom cake is a little thin in a spot or two, but this is one amazing cake and well worth $50.00!!

I agree completely, maybe cover up the thin spots a bit and whip out an easy boarder, maybe even use the grass tip to make it fun and you are good to go. 50 for this..wow once again I will take 3, because I could probably resale it for 75 lol just kidding. Great job, deep breath, and a smile!!!

~Alicia

SophieBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SophieBelle Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 2:00am
post #9 of 28

Please don't cry. It's a wonderful cake and you can do the finishing touches tomorrow when you've gotten some rest and a new perspective on the whole thing.

You've done great so far. Don't worry. It's just a cake and a great one at that. When you're done with it, it will be fantastic.

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 2:00am
post #10 of 28

it looks great!! i love his face, it's perfect. and have i told you how much i love your cakes?! icon_wink.gif
specially that skateboard one?! lol icon_lol.gif

Pearl70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl70 Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 2:01am
post #11 of 28

I agree it looks great. go get some rest...I would give $50.00 for it "NO WAY I WOULD DO THAT FOR $50.00" That got a steal on this one....

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 2:06am
post #12 of 28

first GO TO SLEEP.
tomorow, cover the rest of the top with greenry and put little flowers in diferent colors. Then a botton border.
Then, you will charge her at least $100, be fear to your self, for your time and trouble, and also for your talent.
And never let a client tell you how to bake your cakes, you know what works best for you.

Carlachef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carlachef Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 2:06am
post #13 of 28

Girl please, I'd charge $75.00 for that .It looks great. Get some rest you'll see how cool it looks in the morning. Finish the border then. Pat your self on the back, hold your head high, they are going to love it.

thecupcakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecupcakemom Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 2:15am
post #14 of 28

It looks great. I agree to add bottom border. I would have charged a minimum of $75 for that bad boy.

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 2:16am
post #15 of 28

I go through this with every cake. I constantly have to ask myself: Could she go into her kitchen and create that?? Pay yourself what you're worth. $50 (if you go with that price) is a steal for her...not a favor to you. You did great.

carabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carabear Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 2:19am
post #16 of 28

It is a wonderful cake! I will echo the others as well! Raise the price and get a good nights sleep. The face is incredible and I think the cars look really good! thumbs_up.gif

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 2:22am
post #17 of 28

icon_eek.gif I am in awe of your abilities with canned frosting! I really think it looks great! Ditto about the border and message. $50 is a steal! You can't even buy these anywhere. They'd be a special order, and they'd probably charge $100 minimum.

I've completely been there with feeling like you're at the end. Take a break and look at it with fresh eyes. But don't be harsh on yourself. It looks great -- and she made you use that gross canned icing.

You did a great job! thumbs_up.gif

Sarah

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 2:23am
post #18 of 28

it looks really good.

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 2:27am
post #19 of 28

Honestly, I was scared to look at it once I read that you used canned icing. It is amazing. DO NOT charge her lass that the $50 you told her. It is worth more!!!

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 2:29am
post #20 of 28

As I scrolled down to look at your "problem"; I just went, "Aw..., how cute." You are just too tired to see clearly. The price is cheap.

crimsonhair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crimsonhair Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 4:36am
post #21 of 28

You did a fantastic job on this cake.. She is getting it for a steal at $50.00.. Thats alot of work for that price..
Don't sell yourself short..
icon_smile.gificon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif
Liz

arianna123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arianna123 Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 4:40am
post #22 of 28

I think it looks awesome and I bet the lady will be thrilled!!!!!!!!!

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 7:43am
post #23 of 28

Couldn't see a disaster , but that thomas cake of yours looks great thumbs_up.gif

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 7:45am
post #24 of 28

I agree with everyone here - it looks good. Finish of your border and you're done. They will be delighted.

Lejla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lejla Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 12:52pm
post #25 of 28

O thank you guys.Thank you.I did get good night of sleep and after having a dreams of being in prison,woke up all fresh(just kidding).Yeah I did give it a rest and this morning just put some finishing touches. It was soooooooo frustrating yesterday,because nothing seemed to want to stay in place,I guess it was that dang caned icing.Then to make matters worse,the only grass tip I had went down the garbage disposal(just my luck).So here I was without a grass tip,all out of the dang canned icing and completely snowed in.And the cake is due the next morning.Well,what I did is. I just gave up on it,took nice long shower and watched a TV for rest of the night.But I guess my guilt of sitting there and working on it caought up with me and gave me a nightmares about being in the prison,lol.
But you know I tought to myself,if she doesn't like it she can always go and try to buy it somwhere else,right?
So thank you guys,thank you for being there for me.I knew you'd help me get my head screwed back on right.And thats why I love you all.
I'll let you know what they say.

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 1:08pm
post #26 of 28

I just can't get over the fact that someone wanted a boxed mix with canned frosting for a custom cake... go figure!!!

That you could work with canned frosting is a miracle!!! That stuff is AWFUL to work with! I would have crumbs EVERYWHERE!!!

I'm sure they loved it and next time, CHARGE MORE!!! I would charge $75 to $100 for that cake.

melissa

Mae1118 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mae1118 Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 1:29pm
post #27 of 28

Your cake is adorable! My nephew loves Thomas and he would just LOVE your cake. I know I am not saying anything here that has not already been said, but I can't believe you did this all in one day with canned frosting!! I am glad you got a good night's rest, and I hope your cake looks better to you now, because it really is amazing. I agree with the others that $50 is a bargain!

cakes21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes21 Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 2:42pm
post #28 of 28

I think it looks good, i agree with finishing the border.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%