Will My Cakes Be Ok In The Refrigerator?????????

Decorating By angelfallenhere Updated 20 Feb 2006 , 4:16pm by dsoutherngirl

angelfallenhere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelfallenhere Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 7

I baked my cakes yesterday. Pooh 1 and Darth Vader head. I crumb coated then then after a little while I put them in an oversized Ziploc Bag and they are in the refrigerator. Im decorating Pooh starting Wed. and finishing Thur. and starting Pooh Thur. and finishing Friday. Then doing smash cake Friday too. Well they be ok for parties Saturday. The bags are air tight.

Please Let Me Know I have alot to get done also family coming up for the weekend.

Thanks,
Melanie

6 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 7

I don't know if a cake will stay fresh that long. They will be 5 or 6 days old by the time you serve them, I know keeping baked goods refrigerated sometimes makes them dry out.

I am not one for freezing cakes but in this case I think that would be your best case scenario. There are lots of folks on here that swear by that method, I am sure they will chime in.

dsoutherngirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsoutherngirl Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 2:49pm
post #3 of 7

I would definitely freeze them if it's going to be more than a day to retain mositure. I usually bake and freeze and then decorate several days later. I use those extra large ziploc bags too. They are wonderful for cakes!

angelfallenhere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelfallenhere Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 7

Ok There in the freezer now how about I take out Pooh Thursday Morning Decorate him Thursday Night then leave in the refigerator till Saturday for the party?? And take out Darth Vader Friday morning and decorate Friday Night for party Saturday and leave in the refrigerator will that be ok?? Also my icing already mixed up is in the refrigerator it will be ok right??
Please let me know if this will be ok??

Thanks,
Melanie

They are crumb coated.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 7

I'm with Quad on this one. Refrigerating cakes tends to dry them out. I would freeze. Frozen cakes DO tend to get moister after thawing.

dtmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dtmc Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 4:02pm
post #6 of 7

I almost always make my cakes well ahead of time and freeze. I love the freezer. It is the way to go especially if you have little ones running around the house to take care of. I usually freeze and then the day before I take out and defrost in the refrig. If your frosting is BC with water, then it is okay in the refrig. in an air tight container. BC will do pretty well in the frig. for a couple of weeks in an air tight container.

I hope this helps and good luck. I have been in this situation before too!
thumbs_up.gif

dsoutherngirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsoutherngirl Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 4:16pm
post #7 of 7

I too think buttercream will be just fine in the fridge and your cakes after being frozen, should hold up that long in the fridge until you can decorate. Sounds like a plan to me. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%