? About Using Marzipan

Decorating By grgapch Updated 16 Mar 2007 , 10:43pm by playingwithsugar

grgapch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grgapch Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 4

I have a June bride with a 4 tier wedding cake to feed 100 that wants her cake to be covered in a layer of marzipan and then fondant. I have never worked with the stuff so I don't know a lot about it. She asked for marzipan because she liked the almond flavor. I suggested to her that if she wanted the almond flavor that I could ice the cake in an almond buttercream before applying the fondant. What about mixing the marzipan and fondant together?

What types of cake (other than fruit cake) work well with it? Any recipes to share? I am supposed to be making her a couple of small sample cakes to try out

I made sure she was well-aware that using the marzipan would greatly increase the price of the cake.

3 replies
Melonie1005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melonie1005 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 4

Wish I could help you. Here's a BUMP for ya! icon_biggrin.gif

caryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caryl Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 10:27pm
post #3 of 4

Don't have any experience with it- but yes it is expensive! Be sure to carefully price the marzipan out- and let the bride know how much extra that is going to cost her- she may change her mind.
I think you work it just as you would fondant.
If you do use it, I would suggest a very dense cake because of the weight. Marzipan you roll to about 1/4' thick, then fondant over that.
I think any flavor that goes with almond would be fine for the cake: chocolate, WASC, etc. Maybe a cherry filling- I love almond and cherries!
Don't think I'd mix the marzipan and fondant together, but you could always flavor the fondant almond. Maybe she'd go for that.
I have one book that demonstrates working with Marzipan- even has a recipe to make your own: The Essentials of Cake Decorating. Got he book out of the library many times before I got it as a gift- it is no longer in print, but Amazon might have it.
Hope you get an answer from someone that has used it.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 10:43pm
post #4 of 4

Marzipan is very, very expensive. I know there are plenty of pecan and walnut groves down your way, but do you know of any groves that sell almonds? There are lots of recipes online for marzipan, which is a mixture of almond paste, sugar, and sometimes egg whites (depends upon your recipe). If you can obtain shelled almonds in bulk, it may be worth your while to make your own almond paste, then your own marzipan.

Marzipan tastes wonderful in combination with almost every flavor cake. It can be used as a base covering for a cake, as your client requested (they do this a lot in UK), or it can be modeled into characters and flowers.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%