What Am I Doing Wrong???

Baking By twinsline7 Updated 20 Feb 2006 , 10:13pm by PinkPanther

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 10:49pm
post #1 of 20

I have never unless I buy the prepackaged stuff....been able to make oatmeal or choc chip cookies that look like they do in a pic!!!

I made oatmeal cookies today and they look NOTHING like the cookies on the Quaker Oatmeal site!!!

WHY??? icon_sad.gif

19 replies
twinsline7 Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 12:43am
post #2 of 20

nobody icon_sad.gif

I called my grandma...she said maybe my eggs are too big.......I guess I will try medium ones next time.

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 12:49am
post #3 of 20

What is wrong with them? Are they too puffy?

If so, you are beating too much after you add the eggs in. When you make cookies, you want to cream your butter or shortening, sugars and flavorings really well. However, once you add in eggs, you only want to mix until you incorporate them. If you beat too much or too fast, you whip in a bunch of air and mess up the texture of the cookie.

When I do cookies, after I add eggs in and incorporate them, I switch to the dough hook so as not to over-work the dough.

Not sure if this was your problem or not--but it's a pretty common one. HTH!!

Lisa

monstersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monstersmom Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 1:01am
post #4 of 20

The important question is, do they taste good?Keep in mind, that there are food stylists and professional photographers involved with the cookies in the pictures. The food in magazines or on the packaging isn't always edible, it's been treated to make it shiny or whatever else to make it look more appealing. I'm sure your cookies are fantastic! icon_smile.gif

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 1:09am
post #5 of 20

Maybe its the kind of oats you use. Are you using quick oats or regular. I have found that I like regular (old-fashioned) oats best. They hold up better.

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 1:10am
post #6 of 20

Try this recipe for Chocolate chip cookies. I sell these so they have to look good! Also make sure you are using pure cane sugar and not beet sugar. Many generic brands sell beet sugar and it does not carmelize the same as pure cane.

Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chip Cookies or
White Chocolate Macadamia nut

2 ½ C flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 C butter softened
¾ C granulated sugar
¾ C packed brown sugar
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 C (12oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 C chopped nuts (optional)

Combine flour, baking soda and salt, set aside. Cream butter, sugars and vanilla. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in Chocolate chips and nuts. Drop by teaspoonful onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 9-11 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and let rest on hot cookies sheet for 2 minutes. Remove cookies and place on a cooling rack until completely cooled. Makes about 2 ½ dozen large cookies.

Variation: add white chocolate chips and macadamia nuts instead of semi sweet chips and nuts.

twinsline7 Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 1:43am
post #7 of 20

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! All of you!!!!!!!

Lisa, I think you may be right....I think I mix too much! I will try it differently next time..........great tip thumbs_up.gif !!

monstersmom.....yes they are yummy!! icon_biggrin.gif ....but they look like oatmeal puffs!!! icon_cry.gif ........I have tried to tell myself its just the picture but these are pretty darn clumpy!! icon_wink.gif All in all my kids love them puffy flat or even doughy!!! But I would still like to get them to look good thumbs_up.gif

subaru....I used quick..I like the smaller texture to the oats....I will see what my husband prefers when he gets home icon_confused.gif may be old fashion!!

Euphoria....THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU....my next batch was going to be white choc....I can't wait to try this recipe!!!

what do you guys think about the egg thing...should I also try a smaller egg or is large about normal?

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 1:47am
post #8 of 20

In most recipes, unless it otherwise states a size, you should be using large eggs.

Euphoriabakery Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 2:28am
post #9 of 20

Yes, large eggs are the norm.

Cakeman66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeman66 Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 2:45am
post #10 of 20

do you wnat them to look a certain way for a customer? or because of the way they lok on the website? I don't trust ANY food being advertised in comercials or whatever, even pictures on a website. It never looks real or natural, and as pointed out, it might not even be real food. Stylists use mashed potatoes to advertise ice cream, so no telling if the cookie on the website isn't plastic or something.

Euphoriabakery Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 3:48am
post #11 of 20

Here is alink to a picture of the cookies that I make and sell http://www.freewebs.com/euphoriabakery/customcookies.htm

The cookies are not altered in any way to make them look better for the photo. The Chocolate chip and white chocolate chip cookies pictured are made from the recipe above.

llj68 Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 1:10pm
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoriabakery

Here is alink to a picture of the cookies that I make and sell http://www.freewebs.com/euphoriabakery/customcookies.htm

The cookies are not altered in any way to make them look better for the photo. The Chocolate chip and white chocolate chip cookies pictured are made from the recipe above.

Ummmmm--yeah-----so I'm about to lick my monitor over those white chocolate chip cookies!! Man---being on Weight Watchers really stinks sometimes! I can't tell you the last time I've made cookies. Unfortunately for my waistline--I make good cookies and I eat them. Hence, I don't make them--I can't eat them!!

Your recipe is almost exactly the same as mine and it's delish!!

Lisa

llj68 Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 1:12pm
post #13 of 20

Twinsline----

If they are puffy, you are mixing in the egg too much and at too high of a speed. I put the eggs in all at once and then incorporate and that's IT--no mixing in, no beating in the dry ingredients. It's a very common problem--but some people like puffy cookies. I, personally, don't--I actuallyl like them kind of doughy--believe it or not! lol!! Of course, I LOVE cookie dough, too (just don't tell anyone! lol!)

Just don't mix so much the next time. And, no, I would not use anything smaller than "large" eggs. Those are pretty much standard in baking.

Lisa

dsoutherngirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsoutherngirl Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 1:22pm
post #14 of 20

I ALWAYS had puffy and soft chocolate chip cookies when I wanted chewy ones, and couldn't figure out why until someone pointed out that I was using margarine instead of real butter.

daranaco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daranaco Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 2:01pm
post #15 of 20

I assume you're trying to make the Quaker Best Oatmeal cookies. I make them all of the time and they usually turn out like the photo (not puffy). I've always used large eggs for the recipe. I think the tip of not overbeating your eggs is correct. Are you using a KA or hand mixer to make the recipe? I use my hand mixer.

This recipe is one of my favorite. The cookies are so yummy and people are always impressed!!

I cannot wait to try the chocolate chip cookie recipe!

Euphoriabakery Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 3:12pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by llj68

Quote:

Ummmmm--yeah-----so I'm about to lick my monitor over those white chocolate chip cookies!! Man---being on Weight Watchers really stinks sometimes! I can't tell you the last time I've made cookies. Unfortunately for my waistline--I make good cookies and I eat them. Hence, I don't make them--I can't eat them!!

Lisa

Thanks! The White Chocolate Macadamia Nut cookies are what I sell the most of. I really have been trying to get into selling cakes, but people keep buying cookies instead! At least I can use the money to feed my cake habit until they catch on that my cakes are good too!

llj68 Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 3:57pm
post #17 of 20
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llj68

Quote:

Lisa

Thanks! The White Chocolate Macadamia Nut cookies are what I sell the most of. I really have been trying to get into selling cakes, but people keep buying cookies instead! At least I can use the money to feed my cake habit until they catch on that my cakes are good too!

Maybe you should run a promotion. Something like for every 2 dozen cookies bought--you get a free 6" cake. You could do a single layer and very simple shell border. Or a free cupcake with every dozen cookies. Or offer free tastings in your store. Just something to get your cakes out there.

Lisa

Euphoriabakery Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 4:00pm
post #18 of 20

Thanks for the ideas! I don't have a store front, just work out of my home and rent kitchen space from a local caterer, but the free cupcakes and 6 inch sound like a great idea! Thanks

dsoutherngirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsoutherngirl Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 4:21pm
post #19 of 20

I tend to have that problem too. I won our local National peanut Festival recipe contest in the candy division so now everyone asks me to make dozens of Nutter Butter Bon Bons when I wanna do cakes! icon_rolleyes.gif

PinkPanther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkPanther Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 10:13pm
post #20 of 20

Dsoutherngirl,

Those sound delicious! Would you be interested in sharing the recipe?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%