The Fondant Is Cracking!!

Decorating By tporbz Updated 18 Mar 2007 , 2:32pm by tporbz

tporbz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tporbz Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 4:32pm
post #1 of 9

I stacked this cake on Wednesday - it's due for this evening. While I was packing it up, I noticed the fondant on the bottom layer is cracked in two places - I am sooo nervous that the cake is going to collapse. Is there anything I can do? Please help!
LL

8 replies
emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 4:39pm
post #2 of 9

THere's nothing you can do to stop it falling apart short of taking it apart and dowelling the bottom layer better. It's unlikely to fall apart now though, it has had enough time to settle. If the cracks are visible (I can't see them in the photo) then they can be filled with coloured royal icing, smoothed over with a damp paintbrush and they won't show. I hope it works out for you - I know the heart sink when you're worrying about your cake cracking.

p.s. it's a gorgeous cake!

Beezaly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beezaly Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 4:44pm
post #3 of 9

If it's just the fondant and not the cake you can take some white shortening and smooth over the cracks-this helps to restore the fondant back to a solid piece. Hope this helps!

tporbz Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 4:44pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you Emma & Beezaly - I'll go and do some damage control. I have shortening, but no royal icing.

Beezaly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beezaly Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 9

...Oh, and that is a BEAUTIFUL cake!!! icon_smile.gif

PaulaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PaulaT Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 4:54pm
post #6 of 9

Ohhh - my heart goes out to you but yes, you can do a little damage control (I've been there done that@!!). A tiny big of shortening on your finger should do the trick. No one will even see it. My last cake in my photos I had to repair a bit!!! BTW Your cake is absolutely stunning!!!

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 4:57pm
post #7 of 9

Just wanted to say that your cake looks amazing! It is going to make some girl very happy=) Jen

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 5:07pm
post #8 of 9

You've probably "fixed" it by now...but just wanted to say how lovely I think your cake is!!! icon_biggrin.gif

tporbz Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 2:32pm
post #9 of 9

Ladies, just to say a big thank you for your kind comments and helpful suggestions. It went well in the end - not the disaster I imagined - the cake was a hit and I was really pleased.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%