Refrigerating Satin Ice???

Decorating By ps3884 Updated 18 Nov 2006 , 4:06pm by ps3884

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 12:12am
post #1 of 28

Has anyone ever refrigerated a cake with Satin Ice? I was planning on covering one layer of a cake with this but, the fillings I have in the cake require refrigeration. I didn't even think about it until now. icon_cry.gif The cakes are already filled and crumbcoated, except for the tier that I was going to cover in fondant. I browsed the forums looking for info but didn't see anything particular to this brand. I know in general, refrigeration is not recommended.

If I don't use fondant, it will change the whole design of the cake. I was going to use the diamond impression mat on this tier and fondant strip accents on the bottom tier. (A design I've seen on several cakes in the gallery). This cake is for a baptism tomorrow.

Can anyone offer any insight?

TIA
-Penny

27 replies
ps3884 Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 12:48am
post #2 of 28

Anyone?? I was hoping to get going on this tonight so I'm not stressed trying to finish at the last minute tomorrow.

Thanks.

daranaco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daranaco Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 12:58am
post #3 of 28

I have refrigerated a cake with Satin Ice. Everything seemed fine. The cake was a practice cake and not intended to give away so I didn't really pay attention to see if there were any problems. However, I don't remember anything being "off" about the cake.

Good luck!

doc_farms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doc_farms Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 12:59am
post #4 of 28

Just bumping you......

AshleyLogan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AshleyLogan Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 1:01am
post #5 of 28

Most people say they refrigerating fondant isn't a good idea.
I made the mistake of doing it once, it got very moist and slimy.
I wouldn't recommend it.

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 1:47am
post #6 of 28

Go to satinice.com and ask them. I have some of the litrature but it doesn't say. Sorry.

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 1:54am
post #7 of 28

The one and only fondant cake I ever refrigerated was a disaster..I dont reccomend it.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 2:02am
post #8 of 28

i believe the only fondant that will refrigerate well is fondx. I would not put the satin ice in the refrigerator. I think I would change your design. You can still use your impression mat on buttercream. Just wait until it crusts a little and ise some cornstarch.

good luck! icon_smile.gif

gotcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gotcake Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 2:22am
post #9 of 28

My daughter has refrgerated "Satin Ice" brand fondant overnite on a wedding cake in she did in Florida. Everything was fine. The cakes did not sweat or turn slimey at all. She just lets the cake sit a few minutes after removal from the fridge before decorating. Here is a link to some of her photos of Satin Ice covered cakes. She only uses Satin Ice brand.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=pastrypuffgirl&cat=0&pos=77

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=pastrypuffgirl&cat=0&pos=76

This one was even airbrushed!
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=pastrypuffgirl&cat=0&pos=75

And this pocketbook cake.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=pastrypuffgirl&cat=0&pos=67

and this tea party cake... All were refridgerated and decorated the next day.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=pastrypuffgirl&cat=0&pos=62

dsoutherngirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsoutherngirl Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 2:28am
post #10 of 28

I use Satin ice and refrigerate it with no problems at all.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 2:38am
post #11 of 28

gotcake,

Her cakes are amazing! thumbs_up.gif I think it also depends on the climate. Here in ver humid Houston, Texas...my experience is the fondant get very slimey! icon_smile.gif

ps3884 Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 3:23am
post #12 of 28

gotcake - Wow!! Her cakes are amazing. Thanks for sharing.

traci - thanks, my next question was going to be if I could use the impression mats on bc.

Thanks everyone for all of your advice. I'm going nuts!! I'm still not sure what I'm going to do. I may stick with buttercream. It seems to be a split decision as to whether Satin Ice can be refrigerated well. Maybe it does depend on local. I'll post a pic when I'm done and let you know what I ended up doing.

Thanks again,
Penny

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 3:07pm
post #13 of 28

I'm going to have to try this with Satin Ice. I tried w/ MMF and it was a disaster. I made a fondant piece for a cake yesterday out of SatinIce and it's nearly dry and not yet 24 hrs. MMF took days to dry, even in the winter. I live in NY but near the water, so the air is always kind of humid. I had MMF pieces last summer that didn't dry even after a week!

ps3884 Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 3:23pm
post #14 of 28

Well, the opinions on this seemed to be split, so I did both. icon_confused.gif For the middle tier I used bc and the bottom tier I used fondant (satin ice) accents. So far so good. Except for the fact that I screwed up with the impression mat. Of course, the area where I had problems I figured I would just make sure that was the back of the cake. Easy right? I completely forgot about that when I placed the fondant "plaque" on the top tier. So, now the error is front and center! icon_cry.gif Oh well, overall I am happy with how it turned out. This was my first time using an impression mat and I have only used fondant one other time (and I wasn't happy with the results).

Just wanted to add that I got the idea for this cake from CC member mari. Thanks for the inspiration!! I loved her design and couldn't wait to make this cake. Maybe next time I'll even try the gumpaste roses.
LL

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 3:33pm
post #15 of 28

Beautiful cake!!! thumbs_up.gif It turned out great! I need to get me one of those impression mats!!

dsoutherngirl Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 6:12pm
post #16 of 28

well it turned out absolutely beautiful!!!! thumbs_up.gif

ps3884 Posted 21 Feb 2006 , 1:08pm
post #17 of 28

I just wanted to post to say that there wasn't a problem with the satin ice strips that were on the bottom tier after refrigeration. Actually, I had the cake in the garage over night so it was more like a freezer. However, this was only strip accents not a whole covered cake. I may try a practice cake and see how it fairs in the refrigerator. I'll keep you updated. I also asked this question directly to satin ice, I will let you know their response.

Thanks for the compliments beachcakes and dsoutherngirl.

The cake went over extremely well at the baptism. I received a lot of compliments which of course made me feel really good since this was my first real tiered cake. icon_lol.gif It would probably help too, if I stopped pointing out all of the things I thought were wrong with the cake. icon_rolleyes.gif Everyone loved the flavor combos. (french vanilla with banana mousse and chocolate with raspberry cream). One person even asked which bakery it was purchased from!

ps3884 Posted 21 Feb 2006 , 11:09pm
post #18 of 28

Here is the answer I received directly from Satin Ice in response to the question of refrigeration -

"You can refrigerate the cake but you would have to cover it. Do not cover it tightly. You can also keep the cake in a cool room if you do not want to refrigerate. Just keep it covered."

Good to know. But, I think I'll still try it for myself. Call me a skeptic or just cautious. I'd hate to have a problem when it's a cake for someone else.

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 21 Feb 2006 , 11:11pm
post #19 of 28

I live in Arizona and I have never had a problem with putting cakes covered with satin ice in the fridge...I chill all my cakes and I don't cover them!! I always tell people to experiment beause it all depends on the climate you live in. People in the south would probably have a problem with sweating cakes!!

dsoutherngirl Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 11:59am
post #20 of 28

I live in Alabama. The temp is kind of mild right now..in the 70's. I refrigerated overnight the red hat cake I made yesterday. It is covered in Satin Ice fondant. It looks just fine this morning. I do refrigerate Satin-Ice if I'm using a filling like cream cheese or such. icon_smile.gif

ps3884 Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 2:16pm
post #21 of 28

dsoutherngirl - Your red hat cake is beautiful!! I live in CT so it is a lot cooler here. I guess I won't have to worry about the heat/humidity affecting a satin ice covered cake if I refrigerate it. I'm going to give it a try just to see how it comes out. I need lots more practice with fondant anyway. icon_confused.gif The strips on the baptism cake were easy and fun. But, I 've only tried fondant one other time and it was to cover a cake (white rose top cake in my gallery). I wasn't too happy with the results. Practice, practice, practice.

dsoutherngirl Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 3:44pm
post #22 of 28

Thank you for saying that, ps. The only thing I worry about with refrigeration is leaving the cake out at room temperature long enough so that the fondant isn't too chewy when serving.

ps3884 Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 4:00pm
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsoutherngirl

Thank you for saying that, ps. The only thing I worry about with refrigeration is leaving the cake out at room temperature long enough so that the fondant isn't too chewy when serving.

I'm glad you pointed that out. Being so new to this, I wouldn't have thought of that. Thanks.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 4:40pm
post #24 of 28

Just an FYI ~ the pea and carrot cupcakes I made were covered with or topped with Satin Ice fondant. They were all refrigerated for almost 2 days and the Satin Ice was fine. No problems with refrigeration.

Debbie

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 18 Nov 2006 , 2:29pm
post #25 of 28

I am hoping my cake turns ok... at work we always refrigerate every cake whether fondant or not. However we do not deliver so do not see the cake set up. I know we've had a couple problems with a few large items that droop but never any other complaints.

I made a Hello Kitty 3D cake last night and stuck it in the fridge because I didnt' want any problems during the 40 minute delivery time. (The last time I used fondant it was on a large wedding cake and I decided not to refrigerate and the entire bottom layer cracked during transport due to the cake jiggling). Now I"m worried that her big bow (I added tylose, which is like gumtex and it was pretty stiff when I added it) will droop or that the black eyes will run. icon_sad.gif Nothing I can do about it now I guess.

I know that last night while I was working on it, I refrigerated her when it was just covered in white fondant (Pettinice, its what I could get last minute) and noticed when I took her out after like 20 minutes the fondant got mildly tacky but dried right out. I am REALLY hoping that's all that happens again. ......

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 18 Nov 2006 , 3:09pm
post #26 of 28

Well everyone will have different results do to our climates. If it is hot and humid the cake will sweat in my experience. It is quite cold right now and I love this because all my cakes stay matte. I refridgerate all my fondant cakes. Satin Ice, MMF and Fondx. I never cover them and they have never becaome slimey!

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 18 Nov 2006 , 3:22pm
post #27 of 28

ps3884,

When you use the diamond impression mat on buttercream it's importaant to have a rather thick coat of buttercream so that you won't see the cake in the lines pressed into the cake. Your cake is gorgeous!!

ps3884 Posted 18 Nov 2006 , 4:06pm
post #28 of 28

Thanks for the compliment christeena.

kitagrl - I absolutely love your Hello Kitty cake. My daughter would go nuts over it. I made her a Hello Kitty cake for her birthday but, it wasn't 3D. Maybe next year!

I haven't done as many as others, but I have not had a problem with refrigerating Satin Ice. It just needs a little time to adjust to room temperature, then it has always dried right out for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%