I Am So Embarassed

Decorating By hlaw97 Updated 20 Feb 2006 , 5:19pm by Smoochiefrog

hlaw97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hlaw97 Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 35

This is my 1st cake order! I made my blues clues cake but my handwriting is HORRIBLE! How do you ladies do it so neat! Im going to have to apologize to the lady for my sloppyness icon_sad.gif
LL

34 replies
Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 35

I think you did a great job! It looks fantastic. Nothing wrong with it that I can see and nothing to apologize for icon_smile.gif

Lazy_Susan icon_wink.gif

smashcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashcakes Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 35

i don't think she'll think you're handwriting is sloppy. the "trick" to handwriting (for me) is first, practice. also, icing consistency(thin), and finding a style that works, whether it's printing or cursive. some people will "write" first with a toothpick, then follow those lines. did you do blue freehand- you did a great job

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 35

I think it looks great.Handwriting is very difficult to achieve nice results and I admit mine isn't that great either!! Keep practicing..it will come!!

bjcakebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjcakebaker Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 3:53pm
post #5 of 35

It's easy to do the writing if you buy stencils. Just get the alphabet and make the impressions on the cake and then write over it with icing! My daughter has the neatest handwriting I have ever seen, so, I let her do mine!

hlaw97 Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 3:54pm
post #6 of 35

Actually Blue is a Chocolate transfer! And i filled in his spots, tounge, eyes with iciing icon_smile.gif

Darstus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darstus Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 3:55pm
post #7 of 35

The harder I try, the worse it always look so just relax and write!! If you really have a hard time, Wilton has message imprints you can use and then pipe over them. I do this when I am limited to space and want to be sure I get the letters all on!!

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 3:59pm
post #8 of 35

That cake is so cute!! I wouldn't apologize to the lady at all. I can't give you advice on handwriting - mine is terrible on cakes, but the letter impressions might help.

Sherry0565 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherry0565 Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 4:04pm
post #9 of 35

Writing is one of my trouble areas too! I usually use a small Star tip (#13), and I find I have better control. I am just not steady enough to pull it off with the small round tips. I've even tried the wilton stencils, but the outline of the letters doesn't do me any good if I'm not steady enough to do it smoothly. I always DREAD the writing part of decorating!

swoboda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swoboda Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 4:09pm
post #10 of 35

I think your writing looks great. And besides, even if it was a little messy (which it truly isn't!) it's for a little kids birthday so it may just look like you tried to match the writing to a little kid.... thumbs_up.gif

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 4:13pm
post #11 of 35

I personally think your cake looks very nice. And as everyone says handwriting takes time.

I was watching a wilton blurb on FoodTv and I paid particular attention to the lady wehn she talked about writing. She said the most common mistake (I was TOTALLY doing this) is to do the icing writing like handwriting. she said when you write in cursive with icing do not go back over the letter when you make a loop. Let's see if I can illustrate with words...

If you are making a cursive word HAPPY. Normally when writing you make one continuos line to form the letter. She said to make each part of the letter separate. Stop and start to make the rest. So make the circle of the "a" pick up the icing and start again at the top to make the straight backside of the "a". then continue the backside of the "a' into the straight part of the "p", but pick up the tip and start a new line when making the round part of the 'P'. that way the letters are connected, but you do not have the cross over lines that tend to blur the letters. The lines of cursive just keep building an eventually they are not looking as crisp as you want.

Another option is to start with block letters, then when you get those down go on to cursive.

I hope my explanation wasn't too confusing...it made sense on the show and really improved my writing.

Also, make sure your bag is not too full because then your hand will shake...I find just larger than the palm of my hand works best for writing.

Good luck and WAY TO GO!

edited to correct spelling...apparently not enough coffee today!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 4:20pm
post #12 of 35

Your cake is great..the colors are just perfect!

acookieobsession...your explanation is excellent, not confusing at all!

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 4:24pm
post #13 of 35

acookieobsession what a fabulous explanation! I haven't tried writing yet but now I think I will. I love CC!!! I learn more and moer every day icon_biggrin.gif

Lazy_Susan icon_wink.gif

denise2434 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise2434 Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 4:30pm
post #14 of 35

I think your handwriting looks very nice...you should see mine! icon_redface.gif I can't write on paper very well...let alone a cake!! icon_lol.gif

Your cake is great! Hugs, ~Denise

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 4:44pm
post #15 of 35

I to agree your cake is really great, and the writing just takes time and pratice. One thing my Wilton instructor told us is if you have a shakey hand to tuck your elbows into your side. Don't be so hard on yourself I think the lady will love iticon_smile.gif

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 4:53pm
post #16 of 35

Your writing is very good! Don't be so hard on yourself!

steph95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steph95 Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 6:57pm
post #17 of 35

If I do 2 cakes like I did last night, the handwriting on one looks great, the other, well?!?!?! You did a great job!! I don't think anyone here is perfect, especially in their own eyes!! With every cake, you'll feel more comfortable.

PinkPanther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkPanther Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 8:48pm
post #18 of 35

I think you did a great job! A couple of things that I do when writing on a cake which seem to help me are: 1) move your whole arm, not just your hand and 2) hold your breath. I know it sounds weird, but it works! icon_biggrin.gif

mpaigew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpaigew Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 8:53pm
post #19 of 35

I wouldn't apologize to her at all! We are always so much more critical of ourselves than others are. Chances are that your client will think it looks great, and will wonder why you aren't more confident in your work!

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 9:46pm
post #20 of 35

Your Blues Clues is wonderful.

I have found that I do better with a larger open round, #4 is best for me.

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 9:49pm
post #21 of 35

I have found that I write better if I let my hands and arms rest a bit after decorating the cake. Just a suggestion.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 9:56pm
post #22 of 35

Your cake decorating and handwritting look great!

Some tips I usually share with people (sometimes it helps sometimes it doesn't)

1) When writting most people try to write like they do with a pen or pencil, by only moving their hand from their wrist. Most people write better when they stand above their cake and can move their entire arm from their shoulder down. Does this make sense?

2) When first starting out I thought my writting looked bad because my round tips had little squiggles in them sometimes through out the word. To help "fix" (ok hide) this I would use different size star tips. They tend to hide these little mistakes better b/c of the texture on them.

Hope these give you some more ideas so you are happy with your writting.

Leily

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 11:31pm
post #23 of 35

Do you have a practice board? If not, cover a piece of styrofoam with plastic wrap and just practice writing with the icing for awhile until you feel more confident. You can just scrape the icing back into your bowl and reuse it to practice some more.

I tend to write with my letters different sizes and not even on purpose, it looks cute and then any mishaps look like they were intended!

If you really hate your writing, you could always print out your words and trace over them on wax paper with royal icing. Let them dry, and put them on the cake. A bit more work, but it is always an option. icon_smile.gif

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 11:45pm
post #24 of 35

I really like your cake and find that your handwriting is fine. I hate printing on cakes and buy lots of candy letters!

Recently I have been trying to write more on my cakes though. I like to practice on a piece of wax paper first. I also like writing with thinned icing. I think I get better results.

The cake is really precious...no need to apologize! icon_smile.gif

sweet_honesty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_honesty Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 11:50pm
post #25 of 35

I think the writing looks fine. I find that it is easier to stand over the cake and holding your breath does work. Don't go over lines like when you are writing with a pen or pencil. And the most important is not to let the tip touch the surface of the cake. Let the strings of icing that make the letters fall onto the cake. Kinda like when you are doing cornelli lace ot lattice work. I hope I haven'e confused anybody.

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 11:51pm
post #26 of 35
Quote:
Quote:

hold your breath. I know it sounds weird, but it works!

HA! I have to remind myself to breathe. Good to know someone else does that!

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 11:56pm
post #27 of 35

I think it looks great too!! No need to apologize...

by the way I love the paper you used to cover the board!!

steph95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steph95 Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 3:14am
post #28 of 35

so you all hold your breath too? Funny. I thought it was just me. I do the whole arm thing too.

hlaw97 Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 3:55am
post #29 of 35

the lady LOVED the cake and now i have an order for next weekend from it! They said it was the best cake they EVER tasted!

klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 12:43pm
post #30 of 35

Yippie you see you stressed for nothing - just goes to prove we are our own worst critics. There are lots of great tips in this tread, the two that I use the most are using a bigger tip for writing (I hate the #1tip too difficult to get the pressure right so it doesnt' come out all squiggly) and making sure you don't loop over your letters, take one letter at a time and try not to cross over.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%