Egg conversion?

Decorating By tanyascakes Updated 12 Apr 2005 , 5:21pm by tanyascakes

tanyascakes Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 12

Help!! I was going to try making my first tiered cake tonight when I discovered that I only had 2 large eggs in my carton-even after I told my family that I needed these eggs for some cakes I wanted to do tonight. I was so mad!! icon_mad.gifTanya

11 replies
flayvurdfun Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 12

Well here is a conversion/substitute webpage that helps with substitutions, maybe this will help!
http://crisco.com/basics/sub_table.asp

Lisa Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 8:59pm
post #3 of 12

I've used medium eggs in place of large and large in place of medium. I use the same # either way. Large and medium are so close in size that I don't think it makes a difference which you use.

flayvurdfun Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 9:02pm
post #4 of 12

We dont get large eggs here often, I always use medium eggs...never seen a problem! I am sure you will be ok

p106_peppy Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 9:04pm
post #5 of 12

one larg egg = 1/4 a cup, so 3 large would equal 3/4 a cup od medium

msmeg Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 9:07pm
post #6 of 12

I could be wrong but I think I heard to use 4 medium in place of 3 large.

but sometimes our large eggs seem smaller and work and sometimes the seem larger and work so it must not be critical

Lisa Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 9:12pm
post #7 of 12

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Eggs/EggEquivalent.htm

It looks like you'd only have to change the # of eggs used if you're using Jumbo or Small.

tanyascakes Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 9:16pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks for the quick help, you guys. Sorry i took a minute to get back to you. I had to go upstairs to change into my PJs!! Almost bedtime for me!!

tanyascakes Posted 12 Apr 2005 , 5:40am
post #9 of 12

Okay guys, I baked a cake this morning using the medium eggs. I have to let them cool while I am at owrk. I will let you know how they come out later. They look fins for now. Take care and thanks again!!
Tanya

elin Posted 12 Apr 2005 , 6:40am
post #10 of 12

I think it will come just fine.
Normally I will weight my eggs. And I use gram.
In that case I never have to wonder what to use or do. icon_smile.gif

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 12 Apr 2005 , 5:10pm
post #11 of 12

I always measure my eggs.... because they do vary in size. In most recipes, (as p106_peppy stated) one egg = 1/4 cup. So if you measure, you'll be fine regardless of the the size.

tanyascakes Posted 12 Apr 2005 , 5:21pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks for all the help. I tried it and the 1st cakes were completely worthless! I think I needed to vary the time. And then when I tried again and added 5 more minutes they came out fine. At least until I tried to decorate. I made a mess of trying the cornelli lace-my 1st time. Bag blew up on me. So I just kept sueezing out little twisty lines. I'd call it sotas, but would be too embarrassed to say that. Anyway, I finished what little I could stand to do on them. I am going to post them now. i did have one that came out okay, but it was a basic 6" cake for my son to nibble on.
Tanya

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%