Licensed Characters? Okay?

Business By marthajo1 Updated 23 Mar 2007 , 1:51pm by marthajo1

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 11:53pm
post #1 of 48

So I go to Walmart and buy some figurines from Sesame street or Cars Hotwheels and use them to decorate a cake to sell.... Legal or illegal?

47 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 11:56pm
post #2 of 48

As long as you use the toy as a decoration, there shouldn't be a legal issue. It is when you try to duplicate/replicate the image.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 1:46am
post #3 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnnB

As long as you use the toy as a decoration, there shouldn't be a legal issue. It is when you try to duplicate/replicate the image.

Agree, they got their money for the toys so they're happy

Sugarbean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbean Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 2:17am
post #4 of 48

I was under the impression that you can't as the decorator buy the item, and then sell it on a cake (therefore re-selling it).

You can however, have the person ordering the cake buy it and give it to you to put on the cake.

Anyone know if I'm right in this understanding?

marthajo1 Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 5:11am
post #5 of 48

That does kind of make sense. What a pain. I was just thinking that the CARS on the roads are such cute cakes it would make a good option to offer a customer who wanted a CARS cake.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 10:49pm
post #6 of 48

i do it all the time.

i figure after you buy it it's yours, right?

the company already got thier money.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 10:52pm
post #7 of 48

As long as someone purchased the toy, I don't think there is problem. The companies don't like others trying to copy or replicate their characters

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 10:53pm
post #8 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

i do it all the time.

do you mean using the pan? if so, not really. you can do whatever you like of course, but it is still techinically illegal to sell cakes made from those pans - they are even stamped "for home use only"

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 10:56pm
post #9 of 48

i believe it doesn't matter who buys the figurines they can be used.

just no duplication of licensed characters to sell

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 11:01pm
post #10 of 48

Cake pans are for home use only. Littlecake means the cake toppers that she can buy from certain companies that are licienced to sell them.

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 11:20pm
post #11 of 48

I believe that it's all about their royalties. As long as they get their money from each and every sale, they are happy and it's legal.
eg. If you buy the toys for every single cars cake you make, then they aren't losing any money as they would if you did a cars fbct instead. That's why licensed images are the way a lot of people go (the reason they are expensive is because there is a royalty amount of money in there for the company like disney.) So I don't think it matters whether you or they buy the toys.

littlecake Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 11:30pm
post #12 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt1714

Quote:

i do it all the time.

do you mean using the pan? if so, not really. you can do whatever you like of course, but it is still techinically illegal to sell cakes made from those pans - they are even stamped "for home use only"

no i don't own any wilton cake pans....i was talking about the figures.

i personally wouldn't use those pans even if they were legal...i don't like them.

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 11:33pm
post #13 of 48

In order to sell a licensed character (doesn't matter what form-drawn, figure, fbct, etc) you must have a license agreement with the owners of that character. The grocery store bakeries pay a fee to be able to use the figures/likeness on their cakes as well as the price they pay just to purchase the figure. Just because you buy the character figure at the store you don't have a licensing agreement with the owner of that character to sell their image/character.

littlecake Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 11:34pm
post #14 of 48

ps. jmt1714....

that basketball cake you made really rox!

littlecake Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 11:38pm
post #15 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodibug

In order to sell a licensed character (doesn't matter what form-drawn, figure, fbct, etc) you must have a license agreement with the owners of that character. The grocery store bakeries pay a fee to be able to use the figures/likeness on their cakes as well as the price they pay just to purchase the figure. Just because you buy the character figure at the store you don't have a licensing agreement with the owner of that character to sell their image/character.

i worked at albertsons for a few years...they don't have to pay a fee...they just buy the kits from decopac or bakerycrafts.

i have my own legal shop....i buy kits from decopac ...not as often as i used to...but that's it...no fee...it's included in the price of the cake set ups....

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 11:49pm
post #16 of 48

I am suprised that a store would pay a fee. The've already bought the pans.

It doesn't make much sense to by a pan and only be able to use it maybe once for your family.

It's all comfusing

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 12:27am
post #17 of 48

Thanks for the info, you all. I had always wondered the same thing. I figured just as someone else did- after I pay for it , it's mine and I can put it where I please so long as I've paid them thier part for their liscensing

jmt1714 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 12:38am
post #18 of 48

thanks littlecakes. and I agree with you - I think the pans are odd. . . lol.

marthajo1 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 12:47am
post #19 of 48

I love the pans because kids like them sooo much! The look on my son's face when I brought out his McQueen cake was priceless!! I would show you but I would have to black out his face!! icon_lol.gif

SOOOO- No on figures from the toy department because they are not royaltied (sp.) But okay if mom buys the toys and places them on the little red x's I draw on the cake!!~ie. place mcQueen matchbox here?

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:00am
post #20 of 48
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodibug

i worked at albertsons for a few years...they don't have to pay a fee...they just buy the kits from decopac or bakerycrafts.

i have my own legal shop....i buy kits from decopac ...not as often as i used to...but that's it...no fee...it's included in the price of the cake set ups....

i agree i can by from deco pac and they built in the royalty price to the kit..... once you buy it thats it...and its not anymore than a toy from the store........

dodibug Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:12am
post #21 of 48

Ok! I see what you guys are saying about the decopac. I didn't think about those! Those are specifically designed to be used on an item that they know will be re-sold but I still think they would take issue with the toys or other likenesses. Like the character pans (which I hate too!), it says on the packaging that it is for personal use only.

When I've been cruising cake business website I see alot that they indicate they will decorate the cake in the complimentary colors of a character and the customer can provide the figures. Maybe they are just being more conservative and I usually fall on being too conservative with stuff like that! icon_lol.gif

Janette Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:18am
post #22 of 48

Yea, I fogot that is written on the pan

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:20am
post #23 of 48

i think the character cake pans and sculpted cakes are a diffrent story on there own because they dont get money from those at all.....or you buy the pan once and thats it...........I think buying a toy is okay because usually they arent reused.....the birthday child gets to keep them for a them......i agree as well i hate the charachter pans......sculpted cakes hmmmm i love to do them but i think those are illeagal without consent because they dont get anything.....but i think the initial poster was asking about the toys more than anything......am i wrong????

marthajo1 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:28am
post #24 of 48

No you are right lasting moments. I know the character pans are illegal to sell. but it seems like every little kid wants a disney whatever cake and I was wondering how to do that. Okay-- So can I make a doll cake that looks like Cinderella if I buy a Cinderella Barbie to use in as the torso/head?

littlecake Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 3:53am
post #25 of 48

you know what's odd?

a couple of the bakeries i worked at...albertsons for 1....a big chainstore...

they had us making cookie monster and elmo look alikes.

they just called them something else, like cookie monster was called "cookie eater".

the cakes were even in the stores "cake book"...so it wasn't just a rogue bakery manager.

Janette Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 4:05am
post #26 of 48

Clever

jmt1714 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:04pm
post #27 of 48
Quote:

you know what's odd?

a couple of the bakeries i worked at...albertsons for 1....a big chainstore...

they had us making cookie monster and elmo look alikes.

they just called them something else, like cookie monster was called "cookie eater".

the cakes were even in the stores "cake book"...so it wasn't just a rogue bakery manager.

still illegal - calling a donkey a racehorse doesn't change what it is. but unless they draw the attention of disney, there is no one to enforce it. once they DO draw the attention, though . . .

Janette Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:14pm
post #28 of 48

I could see them coming down on a big bakery selling the items. But, someone selling one every six months or so I can't see. It wouldn't be worth their time.

dodibug Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:39pm
post #29 of 48

Disney makes it worth their time. There are several companies/owners that fiercely protect their brands and image: Disney, Sesame Street, Curious George, Peanuts are just some that I have read stories about. Disney is a big one to send the good ol' cease and desist letters.

shannonfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonfl Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:55pm
post #30 of 48

K so I used to work in Publix and as I was taught the decopac kits you can use them as long as put them on the cake they put them on same design, colors etc. If someone didn't like the design we could make a different cake but they had to buy the kit seperate and put it together at home. The same went if they wanted to put a licensed toy on the cake they had bought at like the toy store. It is illegal to copy, replicate or reproduce in any way a licensed character or copyrighted anything for sale. But I imagine there is a process by which you can get a cake approved for sale. Same goes for pictures taken by professional photographers you can't scan them on to edible images to place on cakes unless you have the photographers permission.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%