Question From A Dutch Cookie-Baker!

Baking By Roos88 Updated 2 May 2006 , 2:09pm by ashianadotkom

Roos88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roos88 Posted 15 Feb 2006 , 11:11am
post #1 of 18

I'm so glad I found this forum, here in the Netherland we don't have a very rich decorated cookies-history, so it's hard to gain information on this subject. And as a consequence it's also very hard to get my hands on
'special' ingredients such as cream of tarter, meringue powder and Crisco over here. Can anyone tell me what I could use as a substitute for these products?

17 replies
hn87519 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hn87519 Posted 15 Feb 2006 , 2:43pm
post #2 of 18

cream of tarter - I would look for a sugar cookie recipe and royal icing recipe without any cream of tarter
http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=recipe4811&contentGroup=EDF&layout=edf

meringue powder - use egg whites, like they used to do before all the fancy stuff came out for your royal icing, or powdered egg whites

Powdered Egg White Recipe
http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=recipe2330044&contentGroup=MSW&site=weddings

Real Egg White Recipe
http://www.baking911.com/recipes/royalicing/raw_eggs.htm

Crisco - butter (it's better to use butter, shortening is not tasty, and there is no reason why you'd need it for a cookie)

Tuggy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tuggy Posted 15 Feb 2006 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 18

Hello Roos88,

welcome to CC, it´s always nice to see some "neighbours". For the cream of tartar you may try a translation. In german it´s called "Weinsteinsäure" and is availabel in any pharmacy store (and pretty cheap as well icon_biggrin.gif ). So you should be able to get it near you.
B

Roos88 Posted 15 Feb 2006 , 2:58pm
post #4 of 18

Thank you so much for your replies and Tuggy, thanx for the German translation, now I know what it should be in dutch, 'wijnsteenzuur'. Kinda looks similar to eachother icon_biggrin.gif

BalloonWhisk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BalloonWhisk Posted 15 Feb 2006 , 8:13pm
post #5 of 18

How interesting. It's sold in the pharmacy? What is it used for other than making beaten egg whites stay beaten?

ashianadotkom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashianadotkom Posted 15 Feb 2006 , 9:28pm
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos88

Thank you so much for your replies and Tuggy, thanx for the German translation, now I know what it should be in dutch, 'wijnsteenzuur'. Kinda looks similar to eachother icon_biggrin.gif

Welkom Roos88.
I never knew what cream of tarter was called in dutch.
Glad to see another dutch speaking here.
Wherer in holland are you from??/ My family live in Breda.

Roos88 Posted 15 Feb 2006 , 9:43pm
post #7 of 18

Hi Ashiana,
Are you from the Netherlands yourself? Leuk om een nederlandstalige hier op dit forum tegen te komen! Did you get that? LOL!
I'm actually from Tilburg, a 20-minute train ride from Breda!

ashianadotkom Posted 15 Feb 2006 , 9:53pm
post #8 of 18

Nee ik ben van Suriname en ben nog nooit naar holland geweest.
Ik heb ook families in Tilburg. Ik heb families die al over 20 jaren in holland wonen . Mijn moeder en broertje wonen in Breda en ze logeren hier elk jaar.
Jij bent de tweede nederlander hier denk ik.
Je gaat van deze site houwen .Hoe lang al bak je taarten??

Roos88 Posted 15 Feb 2006 , 10:07pm
post #9 of 18

Vinden mensen het niet vervelend als wij in het Nederlands praten? Ik ben hier natuurlijk nog maar net, dus ik weet niet goed wat hier gebruikelijk is icon_redface.gif
Ik bak nog niet zo heel lang taarten, ik denk ongeveer een half jaar. En mijn specialiteit op dit moment is eigenlijk vooral cupcakes en cookies, maar ik hoop hier veel te leren!

Perogers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Perogers Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 2:36am
post #10 of 18

Hey guys! I just found this site myself and then found the baker from NL. I have been living in the states since August 1985. So I have been living in the states longer then I lived in NL. Although I still consider myself a Nederlander. I used to live in Halfweg, which is right in between Amsterdam and Haarlem. I still have family living in NL. My sister lives in Delft. Great to see some other Dutch.

Have a great day!
Pauline thumbs_up.gif

ashianadotkom Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 5:00am
post #11 of 18

Hey Pauline

Welkom to cake central.
The dutch speaking group is getting there .
So far i think we have 4 of us.

Roos88 Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 6:13am
post #12 of 18

Hey Pauline!
Leuk, nog een Nederlander, welkom!
I have already learned a lot from everyone here, I'm sure you will enjoy it here!

Val40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Val40 Posted 30 Apr 2006 , 4:11pm
post #13 of 18

Hallo allemaal,

Ik ben ook sinds kort verslaafd aan deze site! In Amsterdam/Amstelveen kun je bij enkele zaken aan die speciale spullen komen (wel duur $$$$).
Ook de site http://deleukstetaarten.citywebz.com/index.php

Groetjes allemaal!! icon_biggrin.gif

cande Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cande Posted 1 May 2006 , 8:23am
post #14 of 18

Just wanted to let you know for Crisco you can use any solid vegetable fat (Pflanzenfett) that comes in a 'brick'.

I can't speak Dutch, but it is so interesting to read or hear it spoken...I can understand most of it because it sounds so familiar to German icon_biggrin.gif

Welcome to the boards, neighbors!!

kalico Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kalico Posted 1 May 2006 , 8:36am
post #15 of 18

Oh no, people! We better learn Dutch - can't understand what they're saying about us! Ha ha ha

ashianadotkom Posted 1 May 2006 , 2:47pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Val40

Hallo allemaal,

Ik ben ook sinds kort verslaafd aan deze site! In Amsterdam/Amstelveen kun je bij enkele zaken aan die speciale spullen komen (wel duur $$$$).
Ook de site www.deleukstetaartenmaakjezelf.nl heeft heel veel.

Groetjes allemaal!! icon_biggrin.gif

Hallo VAl,

Welkom hier.......je kan zoveel op deze site leren.
Waarin holland be je?

AShiana

Val40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Val40 Posted 2 May 2006 , 12:27pm
post #17 of 18

Hi guys!

I'm from Amsterdam, the capital! It's got a terrible reputation, but it's not that bad!
I've been baking cakes for a while, but they were usually good-tasting, but not very good-looking..... icon_eek.gif
I'm sometimes in awe to see what some of you ladies make; it's artwork, amazing....
I'm going to visit a friend in Arlington, VA for a few days next friday (I work for KLM) and hope to bring back some good pans or other stuff they don't sell here!!

O, and dutch fellow bakers, could you let me know if and where you can do cake-decorating courses in the Randstad?! TIA and best regards from sunny (well today, that is icon_cool.gif ) Amsterdam,
Valerie

ashianadotkom Posted 2 May 2006 , 2:09pm
post #18 of 18

Aaahhh klm.... familiar with that one. My parents live in breda and fly that when they come visit us in houston.

Happy baking

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%