Can You Share Some Creative Ideas On What To Do Cookie-Wise?

Baking By Joshsmom Updated 17 Apr 2008 , 5:02am by goal4me

Joshsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshsmom Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 24

Every year I do a 6 mile walk for Cystic Fibrosis as my niece who is soon to be 6 was diagnosed 3 years ago. Usually I just ask for pledges but this year I wanted to bake some cookies, package them and all the money that I hopefully make will be what I turn in. I kind of figured too that for contributing the person also gets something in return.

What kind of cookie design would you suggest to tie in with the walk?

I was thinking of a flip flop (since I have a large flip flop cutter) or a heart (have large heart too). I'm pretty much a beginner at cookies and love working with the RBC and since I'm trying to make as many possible I wanted a pretty easy design.

If I have more than 1 size cookie I was thinking $5.00 for a large cookie and maybe $3.50 for 2 smaller cookies in 1 package ~ would this be out of line?

Thanks for any and all ideas. thumbs_up.gif I'll be starting these next week.

23 replies
freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 24

I think that five dollars for a large cookie isn't unheard of, especially since the proceeds are going to charity. I think the flip flop sounds cute since it is for a walk-a-thon. Does cystic fibrosis have a ribbon (like breast cancer is a pink ribbon)? Maybe you could do that as well.

ruralepicure Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruralepicure Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 24

I like the idea of a large heart. People are doing this walk because they have large hearts and they are wanting to help.

I think that $5 is a great price since this is going to a great cause.

You should feel very good about doing this for such a great cause, too. Good luck!

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 4:49pm
post #4 of 24

It just pop into my mind, a cookie in the shape of a tennis shoe, but maybe it's hard if you don't have the cutter, so I thought, the flip flop cutter can be used as the tennis shoe sole, just put icing on it and make wavy lines to simulate the markins.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 4:51pm
post #5 of 24

I think both sound cute and not out of line for charity. I have seen the chocolate breast cancer suckers go for as high as $3 each at walks, so a large cookie is a bargain at $5. icon_smile.gif Good luck to you and your little niece.

cookiecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiecreations Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 4:54pm
post #6 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecito

It just pop into my mind, a cookie in the shape of a tennis shoe, but maybe it's hard if you don't have the cutter, so I thought, the flip flop cutter can be used as the tennis shoe sole, just put icing on it and make wavy lines to simulate the markins.

I was thinking the same thing, sneaker cookies. Or maybe a combination of sneakers and hearts. Maybe put a few little hearts on the sneaker cookie. HTH

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 4:57pm
post #7 of 24

i was thinking of the ribbon too. i think your ideas are cute!!
sneaker and heart sounds good too.

Joshsmom Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 4:58pm
post #8 of 24

Actually, I just found out that a rose is the Cystic Fibrosis' symbol ~ I could do that though I don't have a cutter I can try to find one.

Thanks for the suggestion about the ribbon, forgot all about their symbol

Joshsmom Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 5:05pm
post #9 of 24

Solicito ~
Oh, that sounds too cute to do the tennis shoe sole and put like suggested little hearts on the bottom. I'll tie the large heart cookies into it as well.

Love it, love it, love it. Like that better than the flip flop.

You guys are great!!!!!

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 5:14pm
post #10 of 24

Glad I could help

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 5:29pm
post #11 of 24

OMG thank you soooo much for posting this! I'm doing the walk in Ohio in May. My son doesn't have CF, but when I was pregnant they had concerns because of some spots on his bowels, and then I found out I was a carrier of the CF gene. Boy was that a long pregnancy to wait for a definitive diagnosis. For the last 9 years, I have wanted to do something for the CFF and I finally got the nerve to sign up for the walk and collect pledges. I think the cookie idea is wonderful! Now that will keep me busy the rest of the day trying to put together something for my website.

I almost forgot about the rose and its story. I'm so excited! I hope it's okay if I steal your idea for fundraising! icon_smile.gif

I hope your niece is doing well. I'm sure she is a blessing to her family!

Joshsmom Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 12:31am
post #12 of 24

Michelle, Steal away, all this will be going to a wonderful cause so I don't care who takes the idea. My DH actually came up with it, I was so impressed. icon_lol.gif

It was actually a big shock. My brother and SIL are both gene carriers. Neither side had any idea. My nephew was tested and fortunately he is negative. They have come so far with CF treatments we just pray that my niece continues to do well.

My whole family and lots of our friends walk so its like a big get together where we walk and catch up on things plus we are doing this for a great cause since there is no known cure.

Vic

PS Wear good walking shoes ~ my feet don't usually hurt, my legs are what hurt days after icon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

MichelleM77 Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 1:06am
post #13 of 24

It was such a big shock for us too, just knowing that I carry the gene. Mom and dad can't think of anyone who has ever been afflicted with CF, so not sure which side of the family the gene came from. My sister had a baby this past December and went through genetic testing just to be sure. She isn't even a carrier! Crazy how genes work.

So far I'm on my own with the walk, but I've got to recruit someone to walk with me. You aren't in Ohio, are you? LOL! I have $50 towards my goal of $150 and I think this cookie idea will help me reach my goal.

Yes, I've read about the treatment improvements for CF. We just have to pray that they keep making improvements because life expectancy just keeps on rising! Woohoo!

So how long is the walk? I couldn't find any info on the website or any info that was sent to me about exactly how long the walk is! LOL! I did the breast cancer walk a few years ago with my mom and my aunt who is a cancer survivor. It was so much fun, I can't wait for the CF walk!

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 11:50pm
post #14 of 24

You could also do feet shaped cookies and maybe package with a heart cookie.

If you are putting labels on the cookie packages maybe you could say something like
'I AM USING MY FEET, PLEASE SHOW YOUR HEART AND SUPPORT THIS WORTHY CAUSE'

tricia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tricia Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 12:37am
post #15 of 24

Love the feet idea!

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 12:09pm
post #16 of 24

Joshsmum - What did you decide on?

Joshsmom Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 4:14pm
post #17 of 24

I'm definitely going to be doing the bottom of the shoe cookie idea, I thought it sounded way to cute!

I'll begin working on them this coming weekend as I had to finish decorating and packaging some cookies for a bake sale Wed and got started on my first tiara that I'm making for my friends little girl. I also got the cake for my first pillow baked and its in the freezer for when I get ready to carve. I still need to make the pillow tassles which I want to try making them out of RBC instead of fondant, but don't know if that will work. Unfortuantely I have to do all this after I get out of my 9-5 job ~ just not enough hours in the day icon_cry.gif

cakeatopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatopia Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 9:39pm
post #18 of 24

I have not read the entire thread--

tennis show with a rose
ribbon with a rose
heart with a rose (hmmm see where I am going with this! lol)

Nice idea--everyone loves a cookie!

sissydeb1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sissydeb1 Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 9:53pm
post #19 of 24

i had a niece that passed with cf at age of 21, and we do the walks and i thinks something with roses would really be cute since it is 65 roses is the trade mark. and i think your super for doing this.

MichelleM77 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:20pm
post #20 of 24

Old post, I know.......but are you doing cookies again this year? I didn't get to do them last year like I had planned and the guilt all year has just about killed me! I just did a CFF fundraiser (wine opener) on Friday (samples for 400) and also donated a cookie basket with rose cookies and a gift cert. I'm thinking of doing a 10% to CF fundraiser on any purchase now through the end of May. I'm also signed up for the walk on May 18. Can't wait!

sicookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sicookie Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:05pm
post #21 of 24

Also, if there's a table at the begijning of the walk where everyone meets up,you could sell them there. I'm doing this for a breast cancer walk in my area next month. Donating breast cancer ribbon cookies--they can sell them for whatever they want and keep the proceeds. Your idea is a great one!!

MichelleM77 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 12:12pm
post #22 of 24

I don't want to sell at the event (most things at the event are donated, I believe, and I'm also participating in the walk), but I would like to sell them beforehand to add to my fundraiser goal for the walk. I did have someone inquire at the wine opener about ordering a lot of cookies to put in the survivor tent for the ACS Relay For Life.

kwdonlon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwdonlon Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 12:34am
post #23 of 24

I'm assuming you're going to want to do a ton of cookies, so the easier the better.

My suggestion sort of incorporates a lot of the above ideas:

The flip flop cookie, dipped in white glaze, so it looks like a sneaker. Pipe on fast white laces. End of lace has a heart. If you really have time, pipe a white "C" and "F" in each heart. That way you don't have to worry about outlining and multiple colors.

HTH...huge success on your walk.
Kim

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 5:02am
post #24 of 24

If 65 roses i the symbol for Cystic Fibrosis....what about having 65 rose cookies made up and a tag on each about the walk and organization and the 65 roses.... People may connect with your goal of selling that group of 65 cookies if you have each one numbered on the information card attached... It would give you something else to talk about no matter how many you had sold. Telling a potential customer... "you purchased # 12 #13 and #14 of my Cystic Fibrosis bouquet...only 51 more to go!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%