What Is Best To Make A Batch Of Royal Icing?

Baking By Monica0271 Updated 15 Feb 2006 , 1:27am by Phoov

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 10

I have to make my first batch of Royal Icing & Color flow on Saturday for my Wilton course II class. My question is would it be best to use my Sunbeam Stand mixer or my hand mixer. I am just wondering if it will burn up my Sunbeam mixer.

9 replies
ncnewson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncnewson Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 10

your stand mixer is the best because you have beat it 7-10 mins. I burnt up 2 hand mixers before I got my kitchenaide. Good luck. hope this helps alittle.

sparkleshine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparkleshine Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 10

To add to the question -

Which attachment do I want to use on my KA?
I am making it for the first time tonight and wasn't sure if I should use the paddle or the whip attachment.

I am thinking the paddle but wanted to make sure! Thanks in Advance!

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 7:22pm
post #4 of 10

I use the paddle icon_smile.gif

sparkleshine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparkleshine Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 7:29pm
post #5 of 10

Monica0271 ~ I forgot to add - our instructor was using a hand mixer in class to try to demonstrate and you could smell it burning up already so I would definitely use a stand mixer!

Thank you Phoov!

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 7:36pm
post #6 of 10

Thank you all so much!!

Phoov Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 8:15pm
post #7 of 10

......oooohhhh....bummer!

On the Royal icing~ make sure that your mixing bowl, paddle, and measuring utensils are squeaky clean and free of any grease (butter or crisco).....because they will break down the Royal and make it unuseable. I did this with my first batch when I took that class. It was a bummer! I even use a little vineager in the water I'm washing the untensils in. Just a FYI!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 10:34pm
post #8 of 10

I'd use your stand mixer. It will be easier on your hands and your mixer, unless you have a really good hand mixer.

I usually use my whip when doing royal icing.

cakecre8tor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecre8tor Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 10:47pm
post #9 of 10

I thought you use the whip for royal and the paddle for buttercream...Royal needs to be fluffy right? That is what we were taught anyway...could be wrong though...I did make royal last night and turned out great...

Phoov Posted 15 Feb 2006 , 1:27am
post #10 of 10

Must not matter....as I've always used paddle and had great results. Maybe I'll try the whisk next time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%