Finding Cake Platters

Decorating By LanaC Updated 4 Jan 2014 , 2:41am by shanter

LanaC Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 1:05pm
post #1 of 19

Where do you guys get your cake plates and platforms? I'm not talking about the plastic-going-to-turn-yellow-one-day Wilton stuff, but the beautiful cake platters that so many of you have. I look at some of the pictures and think that you people must have a bunch of rich old aunts handing you down antique platters. Do most people here ebay or yard sale? I saw a platform I wanted the other day, but turned the tag and about dropped my teeth.

18 replies
cocorum21 Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 1:49pm
post #2 of 19

I've have my eye on one on ebay. (don't even think about it icon_confused.gif ) You should try there. ShirleyW told me to search "pedestal cake stand" HTH

LanaC Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 1:53pm
post #3 of 19

ebay gives me hives, so I try to avoid the place lol. I don't have the patience for yard sales. Since I don't have any wealthy maiden aunts, I guess I need to cough up the bucks for a platter.

Another thing... a lot of the decorative pedestals have "not to be used for food" stamped on them because of whatever paint or process is used. Tell me why? Why make a cake plate if you can't use it for cake?

bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 1:55pm
post #4 of 19

I just purchased a silver cake plateau with a scrollwork design on the side from Ebay because the cake stores online were so phenominally expensive! I needed one with scrollwork to match the design of the cake (per customer's request) and Ebay is the only place I could find one.

cocorum21 Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 2:19pm
post #5 of 19

I think it they say not made for food it would still be ok for a cake because you would have the cake board under the cake. Maybe they mean to put for right ontop of it?

LanaC Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 2:23pm
post #6 of 19

I see the warning and walk away. I know it's silly, but I fear poisoning my guests with the lead based paints lol. I first saw a warning of that type when I was in my teens and it freaked me out. Now I can't get over it. I'm sure it's one of those "dont stand on the top rung of the ladder" type warnings, but sheesh.

bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 2:26pm
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocorum21

I think it they say not made for food it would still be ok for a cake because you would have the cake board under the cake. Maybe they mean to put for right ontop of it?

Right, you always have a "plate" under food and in this case it's a cake board under a cake. They are saying don't use the cake plateau as the cake board.

LanaC Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 2:29pm
post #8 of 19

Oh, my opinion on "not food safe" is completely irrational - but at least I'm rationally aware of my irrationality icon_biggrin.gif

angelas2babies Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 2:40pm
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanaC

ebay gives me hives, so I try to avoid the place lol. I don't have the patience for yard sales. Since I don't have any wealthy maiden aunts, I guess I need to cough up the bucks for a platter.

Another thing... a lot of the decorative pedestals have "not to be used for food" stamped on them because of whatever paint or process is used. Tell me why? Why make a cake plate if you can't use it for cake?

You are SO funny!!!! I don't have any wealthy aunts that have great antiques, either. icon_smile.gif

http://www.trulythefinest.com/products.cfm/Cake-Plateaus.660

http://www.jafgifts.com/frmItem.aspx?ItemCode=106002

http://www.cakesbysam.com/store/cart.php?target=category&category_id=248

The are on the pricey side. I am going to have to find out a way to justify buying one....Hives or not, unfortunately Ebay might be my only hope!!

Does anyone have any great links they can add in our search for a cake plauteau/stand?

Angie

tincanbaby Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 3:18am
post #11 of 19

I just bought 5 matching glass 13" platters for $2.00 for all. Also I
got a 16"stainless steel platter another $2.00.

revel Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 5:27am
post #12 of 19

I've been looking at the sliver cake stands on EBay as well..i'm wondering what is the difference between the stainless steel and sliver plated? Which is best?

antonia74 Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 4:56am
post #13 of 19

I thought the prices at www.weddingcakestands.com were pretty reasonable. They delivered really really quickly (2 days to Toronto??) and the $$$ was way below what I found on eBay. I was very wary of getting a "cheap" lightweight knockoff, but I was so happy when it arrived!! I got the 18" round and it's just gorgeous!!
LL

joycetyler Posted 2 Jan 2014 , 4:32pm
post #14 of 19

AI am looking for a platter that will fit a 1/2 sheet cake. I use the cardboard trays, but would really like something pretty and reuseable for a 16" X 24" cake with about 4 inches of perimeter. Ideas?

-K8memphis Posted 2 Jan 2014 , 4:53pm
post #15 of 19

i know the 18" plateau picture is 5 years old but---just to be a little gripey-- i hate a tripod plateau--i've had cakes nearly topple off--an 18" plateau on three feet is a crime and an accident waiting to happen--plus the feet can break off too--

feel much better now--

joycetyler--i make my plateaus and boards--i'd recommend cutting out a foam core board covered with a food safe foil like wilton's--both can be purchased from craft stores in the u.s.--not sure about where to get this overseas from here--

if i use quarter inch foam core for the bottom board--i'd place the cake on it's own board first then glue them together--if i used half inch it could rest right on the covered board--

but if you want to re-use you gotta fetch it back too--lotsa hassle--

plywood is too d--- heavy

you could get a masonite board cut for you at the hardware store

asianyoushi Posted 3 Jan 2014 , 3:29pm
post #16 of 19

home goods, ross,tjmaxx, bed bath and beyond. i have two sets of three stands from target--8 inch,10 inch and 13inch glass stands... i am going to look at target today and see if they just have a rectangle platter i could use for a non round cake

-K8memphis Posted 3 Jan 2014 , 7:46pm
post #17 of 19

20 x 28 inch platters are a rare find--and the bigger problem is they are not flat--usually the rim is higher than the base and the cake comes out looking shortened within there--but finding one those dimensions is gonna be a job--

joycetyler Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 12:19am
post #18 of 19

Thanks for the advice!

shanter Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 2:41am
post #19 of 19

Look in the housewares sections of thrift stores. You can find platters, vases, stemmed glasses, sugar bowls, etc. I have one I made from a platter and matching sugar bowl and another made from a clear microwave turntable (and I didn't have to buy the microwave) blued to an upside-down vase. Just be sure to use the correct adhesive.

I also found a 16-inch platter at a party supply store. It's plastic but it's pretty and my family doesn't care. I glued sherbet glasses on for feet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%