How Does This Taste?

Decorating By AgentCakeBaker Updated 12 Apr 2005 , 5:02pm by GHOST_USER_NAME

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 10 Apr 2005 , 2:00pm
post #1 of 20

I've been reading a lot of posts from this site and other sites about Ganache. It looks so good on cakes that I want to try it. I was wondering how it tastes. It looks shiny and thinner than most icings. So does it taste as good as it looks?

19 replies
flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 10 Apr 2005 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 20

I bet your answer will be YES, DEVINE...something like that...thats all I hear about it.... the German bakery 'ganache' tastes like the candybar
'special dark' I dont like it at all...but I am very very apted to wanting to try the ganache too......

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 10 Apr 2005 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 20

of course this is my personal opinion but I LOVE IT!!!!! It is so wonderful. You must try it!

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 10 Apr 2005 , 2:15pm
post #4 of 20

It's delicious--for serious chocolate fans especially. It is unlike a buttercream in that it does not crust, but gets shiny as it dries. And it will always stay tacky to the touch, so you have to be careful when decorating. But it is oh-so decadent and tasty!

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 10 Apr 2005 , 3:17pm
post #5 of 20

I LOVE ganache! And--when you make it, you can either used it poured for a really smooth surface, or you can let it set up a bit and spread it like icing. I have a recipe for "Inside Out German Chocolate Cake" that I use it like regular icing.

Of course--if you spread it, there is absolutely no way to get that really smooth surface that I know of. It looks really "homey" when you do it
that way and you can make a pretty design in the top with your spatula.

Lisa

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 4:09am
post #6 of 20

Have you ganached today?? icon_smile.gif It is soooo delicious!!! Not to mention very pretty! Different people who have made it on CC said they put BC on the cake first & then ganache the cake. I have made it 3 times I haven't used BC yet. It has turned out so pretty everytime! I haven't decorated on it yet though. The cakes look so pretty & shiny with ganache & roses on them. thumbs_up.gif If you haven't tried it yet you should & you'll love it!!

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 4:24am
post #7 of 20

Ganache is so yummy. I dont really make it a lot because when I do the hubby will eat the whole thing and lose all self control. So i guess by his reaction, I can say he thinks it is yummy too.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 5:09am
post #8 of 20

How funny cakeconfections! My hubby doesn't have a sweet tooth but my son does! Me & my son were eating semi-sweet choc chips out of the bag last night!!! I need to stop stocking up on ingredients for cakes & icings... we seem to go nuts when all them sweets are in the house!

suzyqqq27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzyqqq27 Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 5:13am
post #9 of 20

Love the ganache. I always pour it...makes such a nice shiny glaze. Here is a pic of my turtle cake (choc cake with caramel filling and pecans on the outside) that I cover in ganache...chocolate lover's dream.

You'll have to excuse the spiderweb pattern as it was my first time trying it...I know it is very uneven.

Suzanne M.
LL

PureShugga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PureShugga Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 5:36am
post #10 of 20

Oh My goodness suzy!!!! I tried to lick the screen when I was looking at your cake!!!! I have not tried ganache yet but am definately going to soon! Now when you pour it how do you know when is enough? Like I would not want a whole pool of it at the bottom of my cake because I didn't know when to stop. So when is enough? And your spiderweb looks oh so good - I don't know what your talking about - how do you spiderweb and what did you use for this spiderweb?

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 6:35am
post #11 of 20

That looks like a beautiful design to me Suzyq! Sounds sinfully delicious too.
pureShugga, had to laugh at your post as I had this mental picture of some lady licking her computer screen!!! LOL!

PureShugga Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 6:42am
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscakes

pureShugga, had to laugh at your post as I had this mental picture of some lady licking her computer screen!!! LOL!

HAHA - yes that would be me - just call me a windowlicker! icon_lol.gif

suzyqqq27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzyqqq27 Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 6:19pm
post #13 of 20

When you pour the ganache you put your cake on a cooling rack and put that over a cookie sheet...then, pour away. Whatever runs off the cake lands in the cookie sheet. You can even scoop it up and use it again. You know you are done when all the sides are covered and the top is smooth. I never use a spatula 'cause if you don't do it quickly enough, you leave marks...I've never had trouble with the pour method.

As for the spiderweb, I take melted white chocolate and make a small circle on the middle of the cake, then make bigger concentric circles until you reach within an inch of the outside of the cake. Take a dull knife and run it from the middle of the cake to the outside as if you were slicing a piece but barely put any pressure on it at all. Then several inches over, start from the outside and draw the knife to the centre. Then from the inside again and so on all the way around the cake until you come back to your original line. It isn't difficult at all except that I kept getting too much or not enough chocolate while piping the circles and that's why I ended up with crooked lines.

Thanks for the compliments...I hope this helps,
Suzanne M.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 6:28pm
post #14 of 20

Suzanne...I think I could eat that cake all by myself it looks so yummy! Shugga--you so funny! Windowlicker--LOL

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 6:32pm
post #15 of 20

This looks really good to me! I love your website too, your cakes are beautiful! Janice

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 6:33pm
post #16 of 20

Suzanne

Your cake looks so good!

Thanks to all who answered my question. Now I'm ready to try ganache since everyone is raving about it.

Thanks again!

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 9:35pm
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentCakeBaker

Suzanne

Your cake looks so good!

Thanks to all who answered my question. Now I'm ready to try ganache since everyone is raving about it.

Thanks again!

OK OK!! I THINK IM READY TO GANACHE TOO!!! LOL!!1
CAN I HAVE THE GANCHE RECIPE icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

PureShugga Posted 12 Apr 2005 , 8:58am
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyqqq27

Thanks for the compliments...I hope this helps,
Suzanne M.

Thanks for the info! Sounds like something I can definately do!!!!!!!

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 12 Apr 2005 , 5:01pm
post #19 of 20

I like the way I pour ganache. Some where on this site is the instructions. Most people have had success with it. I wish we could save our favorite threads so we would not have to search for the same thing over and over again.

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 12 Apr 2005 , 5:02pm
post #20 of 20

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%