Icing On Cookies

Baking By ashley87 Updated 17 Mar 2007 , 1:42pm by Janette

brea1026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brea1026 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:19am
post #31 of 41

Just thought I would throw my two cents in here: I tried just about everything there is to try to ice my cookies and here is what I discovered. The NFSC recipe is very tried and true. I tried using almond extract but in the end found that good old vanilla tastes better. At first I was flooding my cookies and doing the details in Antionia 74's RI, until I was told that they tasted horrible and that some children I made them for wouldn't eat them. I think that some people do not like the taste of the meringue powder in the RI. So next I tried MMF and RBC- the overwhelming response I got was that they looked great, and even tasted okay, but not a single person who tried them could get over the weird texture. So finally I tried Toba glace icing and...TADA! I have gotten only great responses using this to flood. I still use Antionia's RI to do the detail because it has such great consistency and hold up under pressure.

Anyways, I hope that helps.

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:32am
post #32 of 41

I also use Toba glace icing and it turns out great and tastes good too. I thicken a small bowl of icing with extra powdered sugar for outlining so it won't run off the cookie. I let that dry then fill in with the thinned icing.

heavensgaits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavensgaits Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:32am
post #33 of 41

I made Antonia74's RI and added 2 Tablespoons of Vanilla extract to it. I had my friends 8 year old try it and he said it tasted great!

Phyllis52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phyllis52 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:09pm
post #34 of 41

nefgaby - your cookies are beautiful!

What did you use to ice them? RBC or RI?

Thanks.

charman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charman Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:20pm
post #35 of 41

I would bet my life on Antonio74's icing...it is the best! I have had so much fun making the NFSC w/ this icing...check out my pictures!

It does take practice and getting the icing consistency right, but the end results are worth it!

I strongly recommend the squeeze bottles that you can put your icing tips on...makes life so much easier when working with this icing. I prefer the smaller bottles for better control. Now when I am doing the detailing on the cookies, I use icing bags w/ tips and a stiffer icing.

Thumbs up to Antonio74...she's the greatest, and a great helper when you have questions...especially with cookies!

cookiecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiecreations Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:24pm
post #36 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by brea1026

At first I was flooding my cookies and doing the details in Antionia 74's RI, until I was told that they tasted horrible and that some children I made them for wouldn't eat them. I think that some people do not like the taste of the in the RI.

So finally I tried Toba glace icing and...TADA! I have gotten only great responses using this to flood. I still use Antionia's RI to do the detail because it has such great consistency and hold up under pressure.

Anyways, I hope that helps.

brea1026, did you add some vanilla extract to Antonia74's RI? Antonia74 is in Canada and the meringue powder there is vanilla flavored. Might explain why your RI didn't taste good. Just thought you should know in case you wanted to try it again. HTH

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 2:35pm
post #37 of 41

Where did you find the bottle that you can attach the decorating tip?

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 5:00pm
post #38 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyllis52

nefgaby - your cookies are beautiful!

What did you use to ice them? RBC or RI?

Thanks.

Hi, thanks so much!! icon_biggrin.gif
I used a little bit of everything to tell you the truth. Some are RI, some are MMF and some are chocolate. Let me know if there is one in specific you would like to know about.
Thanks again!!

tayesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tayesmama Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 6:54pm
post #39 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janette

Where did you find the bottle that you can attach the decorating tip?

I got several from www.kitchengifts.com

Here's a link:

http://kitchengifts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=KCI&Category_Code=kitchen-gadgets

It's the Squeezit Mold Painter.

charman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charman Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 7:00pm
post #40 of 41

Honestly, I think it is a personal preference. One of my co-workers does not like my cookies with icing on them, but I have way more that do!

I just don't bring any in for her when I make them.
Course she's one that if Grandma didn't make them, they aren't any good, so oh well! To each their own!

icon_wink.gif

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 1:42pm
post #41 of 41

It never bothers me if someone don't like what I make. Because, for the one that don't like it I have 99 that love it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%