Anyone Used Toba Garrett's Cake Spackle Recipe??

Decorating By peacockplace Updated 3 Jul 2010 , 2:25am by livforcake

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 13 Feb 2006 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 15

Just wondering if anyone has done this, and how it turned out. I'm just wondering if it is really noticable when eating or cutting the cake... does it get really stiff? Thought I might try it, but was wondering if anyone else has done it first.

14 replies
Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 13 Feb 2006 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 15

I have used this and didn't really see the purpose, but it did taste really good. It was not noticible in the final cake. But I have been able to get the same results using buttercream. It kind of tasted simular to a cakeball inside, if you have ever made those.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 13 Feb 2006 , 9:02pm
post #3 of 15

I saw it recently on another site. It was used to give a sand appearance to a beach-themed cake. It looked very nice and probably alot tastier than all that brown sugar or graham cracker crumbs!

Euphoriabakery Posted 13 Feb 2006 , 9:06pm
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

I saw it recently on another site. It was used to give a sand appearance to a beach-themed cake. It looked very nice and probably alot tastier than all that brown sugar or graham cracker crumbs!

That would be an excelent application for it! That would look really cool.

In Toba's book she uses it to make the cake sturdier and more perfect underneath fondant. But I haven't really needed it for that, I just use buttercream alone. It also makes a great filling. I actually sat and ate a bunch of it with a spoon when I made it.

kenyatta4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kenyatta4 Posted 13 Feb 2006 , 9:58pm
post #5 of 15

I love Toba Garrett's recipes and use many of them frequently so I thought the cake spackle idea would be awesome...but I attempted it on two cakes and it really didn't work out for me! I'm assuming I did something wrong but I generally don't have recipe issues...I really can't think of a time when following a recipe has bombed for me.

The first time I tried it was last year and following the recipe to the letter, the spackle was too mushy to really spread evenly and ended up gouging my cake. I VERY gradually thinned it out but it ended up very messy and it was more like molding play dough than spreading anything. I finally got it on the cake and froze it for a while - more than overnight. The fondant went on just fine but as the spackle warmed up it made the fondant very greasy and mushy looking. Trying to smooth the fondant after that was a joke, it just slid around and got worse.

The second time was the same. Ever since then I just go with two layers of fondant.

peacockplace Posted 13 Feb 2006 , 11:27pm
post #6 of 15

Good to know! Thanks for your replies. icon_biggrin.gif

peacockplace Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 7:19pm
post #7 of 15

Just wondering if anyone has had good results using this? I know I read in someone's pics in the gallery that they used it to make the cake ready for fondant.

Euphoriabakery Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 7:44pm
post #8 of 15

I used it underneath this cake. It worked fine, however I think I would have had the same result had I used buttercream. I just don't think it makes a ton of difference unless your cake underneath needs a lot of fixing. It is kind of like a cake paste. So if your cake is falling apart you can kind of push it back together and build it up using this. Also it tastes really good underneath the fondant, kind of covers up the awefulness of the Wilton fondant I used.
LL

rainbowz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbowz Posted 15 Feb 2006 , 6:08am
post #9 of 15

I've used it and it's AWSOME.

kenyatta4 Posted 15 Feb 2006 , 3:02pm
post #10 of 15

How did you get it to work? I don't like to use marzipan, and I don't feel comfortable using it with all the nut allergies abounding. I like the idea of cake spackle but so far, it's bombed for me (hence my comment about using two layers of mm fondant)

Euphoriabakery Posted 15 Feb 2006 , 3:19pm
post #11 of 15

I think it may work better if teh cake crumbs you use are from a denser cake. This might be why yours got real mushy. If you have ever made Toba's cakes they are very dense. When I used the spackle I used crumbs from her moist yellow cake. This cake is like a pound cake texture. Her cakes are really yummy, just really dense.

kenyatta4 Posted 15 Feb 2006 , 5:07pm
post #12 of 15

Thanks for the tip. I definitely used cake crumbs/pieces from a cake made with Toba's moist yellow cake recipe (delicious!!!), but I was just impossible to spread. I mean, I got it on the cake but even with leaving it out to set up AND freezing it, it just got mushy under the fondant.

Question for those who have been successful with the spackle - do you err on the side of making it thin, like a buttercream thin consistency? Or do you keep it very thick and just smash it on your cake, lol?

Euphoriabakery Posted 15 Feb 2006 , 5:16pm
post #13 of 15

I used it very thick, like a paste, and just kind of shaped it on the cake with my hands until I had the shape I was looking for.

abbystepmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbystepmum Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 10:01pm
post #14 of 15

I'm having a hard time with it. I used Toba's Decorator Buttercream and Spackle paste for the first time on a six inch cake, and although I loved the taste of them both much better than wilton, what seems like air pockets are now appearing in places on my cake. Poking a pin into the fondant (which would usually fix the problem) is not helping.

I don't know if its because when the paste returns to room temperature, it is not sticking, and sliding down? There is a crumb coat underneath the paste, and a coat of buttercream on top of the refrigerated, spackled cake.

Although the taste is great, I will not used the paste again. icon_sad.gif

livforcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
livforcake Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 2:25am
post #15 of 15

I've used spackle once so far and will definitely use it again. I loved how smooth it made the cake pre-icing! I first found out about it from Toba Garrett's book, but I'll admit, I didn't follow the recipe. I didn't have lemon curd and didn't feel like measuring out the cake crumbs and icing so I just added enough icing so that made a thick, spreadable paste. It worked really well! You can take a look at the third pic down here:

http://livforcake.blogspot.com/2010/06/chocolate-chocolate-chocolate.html

Unfortunately, it wasn't that good a base for the ganache I poured over the cake. I thought this would give it a nice, smooth appearance, but it all just kinda sagged. Though this may be because the ganache was too warm when I poured it.

Overall though, I thought it would give a great base for fondant and would work really well as a crumb coat before covering with buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%