Freezing Fondant

Decorating By mimi Updated 13 Feb 2006 , 4:20pm by Sparklycake

mimi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimi Posted 13 Feb 2006 , 1:16pm
post #1 of 7

Hi, I know a cake that is covered in fondant should not be frozen; however, has anyone froze a cake that was iced in buttercream but just had a small decoration on the top that was made of fondant? I made a Christening cake that had a small cross (4") on the top - the Christening was cancelled due to snow so they froze the cake. Does anyone know if that small amount of fondant on the top will freeze ok? Thanks for the help. Mary Ann

6 replies
gailsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gailsgoodies Posted 13 Feb 2006 , 1:21pm
post #2 of 7

Just bumping ya up!

mimi Posted 13 Feb 2006 , 1:30pm
post #3 of 7

Any thoughts on freezing fondant? Thanks.

Calejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calejo Posted 13 Feb 2006 , 1:37pm
post #4 of 7

weel, I've never done that, but the whole reason behind not freezing fondant is that when the cake begins thawing, the condensation will make the fondant gummy and.... well, gross. I would make a backup fondant piece, just in case.

Calejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calejo Posted 13 Feb 2006 , 1:38pm
post #5 of 7

I forgot to mention..... I know that you can freeze fondant by itself though, so if the majority of the piece is untouched by buttercream, it may be ok, but again, I'd make a backup just in case.

mimi Posted 13 Feb 2006 , 2:44pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the help!

Sparklycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklycake Posted 13 Feb 2006 , 4:20pm
post #7 of 7

We were told in class and its all sugarpaste we use that your cake will freeze perfectly, the trick is in the thawing. You must take it out and leave the cake completely uncovered and untouched for 48 hours, yes it will go gooey but if you don't touch it for the full 48 hours it should come back to normal. The only thing we were told was never to freeze petal paste (gumpaste).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%