How Do I Get The Icing So Smooth And Flawless Looking?

Decorating By jadeeyes Updated 13 Feb 2006 , 2:46pm by Bobla

jadeeyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadeeyes Posted 13 Feb 2006 , 8:55am
post #1 of 4

Hi, I finally found out how to make my daughter's cake and i did my first practice one tonight! it is a monkey head..It came out great I think for a beginner. (i have always gotten store bought icon_redface.gif This is my first real creation...Anyway...how do I get the icing to look so smooth and flawless like I see on a lot of the cakes in the gallery? That is the only thing about my cake that made it look "home-made" I appreciate your input!

Thanks,
julie

3 replies
Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 13 Feb 2006 , 9:55am
post #2 of 4

Many people here use the "Viva" paper towel method for smoothing. Others use the Dip your spatula in hot water method (not sure if it has a name). Some people smooth with parchment paper.
This link may help you icon_smile.gif http://www.cakecentral.com/article10-How-To-Create-Faux-Fondant-The-Paper-Towel-Method----Viva.html

Lazy_Susan icon_wink.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 13 Feb 2006 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 4

Yes - use a crusting buttercream, and then get out the Viva and smooth away! Works like a charm.....people think my buttercream cakes are fondant it gets so smooth.

Bobla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bobla Posted 13 Feb 2006 , 2:46pm
post #4 of 4

I must try this. It looks very smooth. Do you use a paper towel? Sounds strange. icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%