Ok - I Am Officially A "cake Snob"

Decorating By MindiBrad Updated 14 Apr 2005 , 5:52pm by GHOST_USER_NAME

MindiBrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MindiBrad Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 10:08pm
post #1 of 58

I just got back from a children's birthday party where the mom had bought the cake at an upscale supermarket and I have to say....BLECHHHH!

Why have I never noticed how dense supermarket cakes are? My cakes tend to be light and fluffy...and in all fairness, some supermarket cakes are too.....

And the ICING! I don't know what kind it was...not buttercream, not whipped cream.....and whoever made the icing must have run out of powdered sugar because it was "grainy"

As for the decorations? Well - anyone who Mastered Wilton Course 1 could have made this cake! It was a simple dot border, a few balloons an airbrush (you could just use those sprays) and a commercial topper (Thomas the train)....and it wasn't even iced SMOOTH!

I am officially a "cake snob"! <grin>

57 replies
p106_peppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
p106_peppy Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 11:06pm
post #2 of 58

super market cakes to dense? I find they're generally way lighter than home made.

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 11:09pm
post #3 of 58

I've always called myself a buttercream snob... so- welcome to the snob club!!

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 11:29pm
post #4 of 58

My husband always picks on me because I am very judgemental of cakes any time we go to a function. There used to be several ladies in town (and one grocery store) that I thought had excellent cakes, but over the last several years I have learned what good cake can really taste like!

I'm with Dawn -- Welcome to the club!!! thumbs_up.gif

Amy

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 11:30pm
post #5 of 58

I agree, they are dense and dry too! Yuck! Cake snobs, count me in.

p106_peppy Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 11:46pm
post #6 of 58

I'm out numbered I guess. I like super market cakes every now and then

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 11:50pm
post #7 of 58

Add me to the cake snob list. My daughter says I am a snob because when we have dessert out somewhere I critique it......I think that they may add perservatives to cakes and desserts that are bought from store or restaurant and I like homemade, I can taste the difference. I'll be pleased to inform my daughter that I am not alone. icon_smile.gif

ilithiya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilithiya Posted 10 Apr 2005 , 1:05am
post #8 of 58

I don't know what it is, but I don't like the crumb on most storeboughts. It's either way to friggin' crumbly, or it's like trying to eat an egg puff. That is, except for the cakes at my local Costco. I want that cream cheese filling, goshdarnit! I've never had any of my cakes get stuck in my throat during the swallowing, but most storeboughts do... I wouldn't say that they're sawdust, but I prefer a homebaked any day.

And the frostings... oh, gawd, don't get me started on that. I'm notorious for hating frostings of any kind, but now that I have good recipes, I eat my own straight out of the container. And I love it! (digs for the so-thick-its-a-truffle dark cocoa BC)

Illy

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 10 Apr 2005 , 3:18am
post #9 of 58

Just wanted to say that most of these places expect the decorator to decorate the cake completely, in two minutes, so that would be rather limiting to the decorating.
Some places they actually have to flat ice, border and decorate in that 2 minute timeframe, don't know about you folks, but I could not do that.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

PureShugga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PureShugga Posted 10 Apr 2005 , 5:55am
post #10 of 58

I too am a cake snob. My SIL just had a baby shower last week and she didn't know I had started making cakes so whoever was throwing the shower had already had the cake ordered. Well when I got there I skipped the buffet line and went straight for the cake - 1st of all what a disapointment in the decorating!!! I have no idea which bakery they used but it was a plain white iced 11x15 with a side comb like the triangle - NO bottom border and a large shell top border with only a frog figurine holding some plastic balloons - no writing - nothing else. The frosting tasted good - a lot sweeter than I make and didn't really taste like a buttercream, and the cake was 1 layer choc and 1 layer white - the cake was dry and definately was not fresh............I am a cake snob - I could of done an awesome job compared to the standard that was set from the bakery!

cakelady1994 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady1994 Posted 10 Apr 2005 , 6:17am
post #11 of 58

i guess i'm a snob too .once you taste good home made buttercream forget everthing else. icon_lol.gif

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 10 Apr 2005 , 6:42am
post #12 of 58

Well I dont know where I stand. Maybe the referree line...I have had dry, nasty cake from both a home baked cake, and a bakery/grocery store cake, same for the decorating. Can I do better yeah probably, have I done better..not really. I mean I never hear a complaint only praise, but I guess I keep myself humble? Is that the word I'm looking for? But with what I have seen done by each of you ladies/gentlemen blow me away, they are superb and you should have a cakesnob club!

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 10 Apr 2005 , 6:49am
post #13 of 58

Hi, guys. I guess that I am on both sides, too. I am definitely critical of store bought cakes. But I am also a work in progress as far as decorating goes. I have a lot to learn still. And I think that everyone here does an awesome job at decorating!! I guess that I will call myself a "mini snob". But given enough time, I am sure that I will be HUGE cake snob, too. And I am glad to be in your company.
Happy Baking!!
Tanya

MindiBrad Posted 10 Apr 2005 , 11:45am
post #14 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilithiya

And the frostings... oh, gawd, don't get me started on that. I'm notorious for hating frostings of any kind, but now that I have good recipes, I eat my own straight out of the container. And I love it! (digs for the so-thick-its-a-truffle dark cocoa BC)

Illy

We had a small family-owned supermarket about a half-mile from my house that used to have an awesome icing! It was a whipped cream one. For the 10 years that I have lived here - it was the only place I would buy cakes. Alas - they recently were purchased by one of the "chains" and now have an all-shortening icing...yick!

elin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elin Posted 10 Apr 2005 , 11:47am
post #15 of 58

So great to hear I am not alone to be a cake snob.
I think that is becaurse I am competing with cakedummies. Some of the peoples of my husband have a habitt of selling decorated cakedummies for a high price (and they ask the dummie back after). I think that is just horrible. My cakes are all eatable and they must taste good. If I see a cake from them I always think in my mind. Is it real or not.
Even mostly I can see.
Otherwise I will allways taste others cakes. I only critic when the cake is too bad.
I think everyone who makes cakes for a while will have some feeling on others cakes.
I also like to know whos cake I am eating.

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 10 Apr 2005 , 3:26pm
post #16 of 58

I'm a snob also, but I do have to agree with Squirlley. When they are expected to turn out a cake in less than 5 minutes flat--you can't expect miracles!

Personally, I can't stand store bought icings. They really gross me out!

Lisa

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 1:30am
post #17 of 58

I agree with elin, I want to know whose cake I'm eating! We have 3 local supermarkets and a Wally World with a bakery in each and I wouldn't buy any of theirs. I do however love the Costco cakes...especially the cream cheese filling they use!! (Now if only I could make a filling that is identical.) Not to blow my own horn but when a total stranger asks where I BOUGHT the cake because it's the best he's tasted..sort of makes you feel good! But okay, I'm a cake snob now. Oh crap...a cake snob AND a CC addict, what in the world is next for me???? icon_smile.gif

p106_peppy Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 2:31am
post #18 of 58

I find it funny that many of you bash store bought cakes, yet use cake mixes.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 3:02am
post #19 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by p106_peppy

I don't have a problem with store-bought cakes. I like mine better that's about it. Using cake mixes is just a short cut. The makers of cake mixes have been studying how to get the perfect cake for years...makes sense to benefit from their R&D. A big prob with most grocery store cakes is that they are baked in an off-site facility, frozen and then shipped in, decorated and put on display. I can only guess at how old they are by the time they reach someone's table.

jscakes Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 3:06am
post #20 of 58

I was just going to reply about that Lisa, I think they are older than dirt by the time we buy them, dry, and the icing isn't really very good. Most everything is better quality when Fresh.

PureShugga Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 3:09am
post #21 of 58

I agree - who knows how old the cake is when it hits your table. I doctor any box mix I use so its not like I'm still giving everyone something straight from the box - I do put some more effort into it than "just a box mix". Box mix or not, store bought or not, none of it matters besides the taste of the cake & frosting - as long as it's good stuff. I personally have not had good luck with any store bought, but others do. Just depends on each individual situation.

MindiBrad Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 3:10am
post #22 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by p106_peppy

I don't think it is so odd....I think it is odd that I can eat a so-called "fabulous" cake (according to the neighbors) from a supermarket that tastes like a "grainy shortening stomach bomb"....yet I can make a better cake with a box of Betty Crocker and a good buttercream.

Let's face it...a yellow cake is pretty much a yellow cake. This cake that I had yesterday? Well - imagine if you had a whole recipe condensed into 1 3" high layer....that's how dense this thing was!

As for icing...I have NO problem being a complete snob there...especially since I make my bc from scratch....and most of the time it is not the quick bc but the cooked pastry cream/bc. The icing I had yesterday...I SWEAR they must have ran out of powdered sugar and just used regular sugar. I felt like I was eating a sand box!

What I hate about store icings (although most whipped cream store icings are fabulous) is when they use all shortening icings. Nothing turns my stomach more than feeling like I am eating straight Crisco! Then again- that is also why I won't buy things like stuffed chicken breasts at the meat counter at the supermarket....most supermarkets use shortening in their stuffing and I can always taste that!

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 3:41am
post #23 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureShugga

I agree - who knows how old the cake is when it hits your table. I doctor any box mix I use so its not like I'm still giving everyone something straight from the box - I do put some more effort into it than "just a box mix". Box mix or not, store bought or not, none of it matters besides the taste of the cake & frosting - as long as it's good stuff. I personally have not had good luck with any store bought, but others do. Just depends on each individual situation.

hi pure, i have tried so many different things by doctoring up my box mix... how do you doctor yours up? nothing has worked well for me....!
thank!!
Ute

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 3:45am
post #24 of 58

Something that wasn't mentioned... The icing from stores always has a wet look to it & I can even see drops of moisture on the icing... like the moisture was dripping onto the cake from the icebox.... thumbsdown.gif YUCK!!! You don't know what the cake has been exposed to. Forget it! I will make my own cakes!! OOOhhh,,, I'm a snob too!!! icon_lol.gif

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 3:55am
post #25 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcturtleshell

Something that wasn't mentioned... The icing from stores always has a wet look to it & I can even see drops of moisture on the icing... like the moisture was dripping onto the cake from the icebox.... thumbsdown.gif YUCK!!! You don't know what the cake has been exposed to. Forget it! I will make my own cakes!! OOOhhh,,, I'm a snob too!!! icon_lol.gif

ha hahah!! i know that im just "beginning" but.. is it too soon to call myself a snob too??? icon_lol.gif

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 3:57am
post #26 of 58

ha, ha, ha momof3!! That was funny!! We all crown you a snob!!! icon_smile.gif

PureShugga Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 5:49am
post #27 of 58

hi pure, i have tried so many different things by doctoring up my box mix... how do you doctor yours up? nothing has worked well for me....!
thank!!
Ute[/quote]

Do you own the Cake Mix Doctor? I highly advise to invest in it - I got mine for like $10 bucks - but I use her basic sour cream recipe or the red velvet recipe omitting the red food coloring for all of my cakes. The sour cream just adds a smoothness and moistness that I find not matched by mayonaise, applesauce or butter like other doctored recipes. This is just my personal preference - I love the texture it provides - I'm sorry I don't have my recipe book with me or I'd give it to you - all I can remember is that it calls for 1 cup of sour cream - can't remember anything else off the top of my head but maybe someone else reading has their book handy and they could post it. Hope that helps let me know if you have any other questions.

PureShugga Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 5:51am
post #28 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcturtleshell

Oh your right!!!!!!!!!! I have noticed that before - NASTY!!!!!!

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 10:14pm
post #29 of 58

(raising hand) I'm a Snob!!!
We went to a Quincenera about a month ago. It was killing me waiting for them to announce the cutting of the cake . Don't you know I was the first one in line. LOL My friend was across from me and before I could cut into it he says " look at christy, the cake critic. I won't get a piece until she tries it, cause you know she going to say something about".
I thought " OMG am I that bad?" Needless to say I tried it, I bashed, I think mine are pretty damn good!!!

jscakes Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 10:30pm
post #30 of 58

Whoo-Hoo briansbaker ~ You go girl!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%