What Do You Do You Don't Like Your Results? Lower The Price?

Baking By vitade Updated 17 Feb 2006 , 8:11pm by ge978

Cakeman66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeman66 Posted 13 Feb 2006 , 10:26pm
post #31 of 37

When you get to thinking about giving discounts such as above with the $20 NASCAR cake, then you don't always think about how you are barely making minimum wage, if at all. Why lower the amount you make to as little as $2-$3 an hour?

People, your time is worth as much as you can get. But certainly when making confections for other people who can't do what you do, then you should be making sure you are making far more than minimum wage.

When you start second guessing yourself, then you may as well ask why you are in this business. Or any business for that matter.

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 13 Feb 2006 , 11:34pm
post #32 of 37

I hear you loud and clear Cakeman, believe me I do. Unfortunately this is an all too common theme amongst us home cake decorators. In my case I truly was all too happy to just be rid of the cake. We have wonderful ideas and start out with the best of intentions however self-doubt is always peeking at us from around the corner and when our ideas aren't realized then self-doubt isn't just peeking, it's right in your face. I guess it's just the perfectionist in all of us.

I love what I do, I just may not always like the results, but heck. I'm still learning! I think a lot of people can say that they also second guessed themselves at some point. Yes, I do this for a little bit of extra money to help support my 'cake habit'. Do I really care that I lost money on that one cake? In this case, no. Will the client remember this and hope she is so lucky the next time around? Of course she will. Will this stop me from making cakes? Nope.

Cakeman66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeman66 Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 2:22am
post #33 of 37

when you have someone that remembers that you gave a DEEP discount on the last cake, they might expect it the next time. If they don't then I want them as a customer.

My advice is specifially for home bakers. I know I'm my own worst critic, just like the rest of the people here are about what they do for paying people. Self doubt just as I pointed out yesterday, is the beginning of "your" downfall. If you think what you made isn't worth the price you agreed on, then you might get into a rut, where you think that about everything. Or at least for the next few items you make.

We constantly learn, no matter how long we've been doing decorating, but we are being compensated for our learning too. What you learn tonight making a cake for a customer, will help you earn more money in the future. Maybe tomorrow.

If you strive for perfection in your cakes or anything you do, then you'll always be disappointed, as you'll never obtain it, OR if you think you have, then you have nothing to strive for. If you get the mentality that you are ok because you "lost " money on this order, you can also get into a rut, and then before long, you'll be paying everything out of your pocket, with nothing coming in.

There's nothing wrong with "supporting your cake habit". But it's even better when other people are helping you pay for it.

Just a little "so called sound" advice.

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 3:13am
post #34 of 37
Quote:
Quote:

There's nothing wrong with "supporting your cake habit". But it's even better when other people are helping you pay for it.

Well said Cakeman, well said.

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 16 Feb 2006 , 9:31am
post #35 of 37

They're absolutely gorgeous!!! Don't be so hard on yourself. I've found that when I'm disappointed that my cakes haven't turned out perfect, noone sees there "faults" except for me. I'm sure they will be estatic.

vitade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitade Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 12:35pm
post #36 of 37

Okay, I just wanted to post the finished project as to not leave anyone hanging on how everything went.

When she came to pick them up, I didn't say anything negative, just gave them to her with a smile, she said they were cute and that the girls where going to love them. She handed me my money, and that was that.

Thank you

(Based on another post)(with my right hand raised) "I solemnly swear to try and not self doubt myself or my abilities in the future. I will raise my chin and be proud of my accomplishments"
LL

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 8:11pm
post #37 of 37

Vitade: Those really look great! I loved them before, but I think the ribbons & bags give them that extra special touch. Great job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%