Hold My Hand Please..........

Business By Mnhreams Updated 14 Mar 2007 , 3:42am by lilmisscantbewrg

Mnhreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mnhreams Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 8

I need someone to hold my hand as I try to open something in Florida. Someone who has a licensed business and knows all the laws. I have been looking at the website and I am wondering how can anyone do it without having alot of money up front. WHat do you do about labeling? Do I label everything that goes out? I just want to rent a licensed kitchen, which none exist over where I am and no one wants to play nice and share. So will I be forced to work out of my home and risk getting caught? Everyone I ask to use their kitchen say they cannot and that they know lots of people that do it from their home and to just do that. It is my dream to open a fullscale bakery, but for now I just need to work out of a little kitchen. This is my dream and I will keep looking for a place to rent that is within reason. No churches are willing to give up their space, even for money; no mom and pop restaurants, everything else is so high and nasty that I couldn't possibly work out of it. So anyway, if someone could guide me through the legal part I would appreciate it.

7 replies
sheila06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheila06 Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 8:35pm
post #2 of 8

I know what you mean....I wanted to open a bakery a few years ago and could never figure out how to get started and then an opportunity presented itself to me and I am the proud owner of a sub shop!. When my inspector came to inspect for my opening, I asked her about doing my cakes from there. She said that it would be totally fine because I had a business lisence and all she could see that I needed was to advertise it some. I lucked out !!! You can go to myflorida.com and look under hotels and restaurants and they will send you a package of things that have to be done in order to open. It is not cheap to get started.... I know you can use a building or garage (at your home)or something that is not a part of your living space. That would be much cheaper to start with if you have something like that. Also your insurance wouldn't be as high. You do have to label all packaged products that you sell (this I believe is a Federal regulation) Ex: cookies, bread....
Good Luck...don't give up if this is something that your heart really desires.

Mnhreams Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 8

Do you include every little ingredient? Is there a way to condense the product labeling down somehow?

lilmisscantbewrg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmisscantbewrg Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 9:05pm
post #4 of 8

Hi there,
Don't give up on your dream!! There will be obstacles to overcome, but you can do it. I know this because I am doing it right now!! I can help walk you through the processes. Are you anywhere near me? I'm in the Tallahassee area.

Amy

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 11:28pm
post #5 of 8

you do not need to lable anything that you're not wholeselling, if you are only retailing..you will be fine

Mnhreams Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 12:18am
post #6 of 8

I am very close to Tallahassee; I could spit on the capital building. Is your business in Tallahassee or on the outskirts. I would greatly appreciate your help.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 12:33am
post #7 of 8

well if you're that close , just go there and talk to someone in charge!

and the web site is a good place to start, that's where I started.

lilmisscantbewrg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmisscantbewrg Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 3:42am
post #8 of 8

I've pm'd you some info...but please feel free to email me.
Hope I can help you out. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%