Chocolate Mousse Filling?

Decorating By xkuuipo415x Updated 24 Feb 2006 , 10:25am by kaurislapsi

xkuuipo415x Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xkuuipo415x Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 10

Hello!

I am looking for a chocolate mousse filling recipe for a cake.....does anyone have a favorite that they LOVE, and wouldn't mind sharing?

I am making a Red Velvet Cake for a co-worker and she wants a chocolate filling - and she HATES buttercream!

Thanks in advance!

9 replies
Sherry0565 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherry0565 Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 10

HATES BUTTERCREAM??? icon_eek.gif

xkuuipo415x Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xkuuipo415x Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 10

icon_surprised.gif

Yeah - I know! haha

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 13 Feb 2006 , 8:14am
post #4 of 10

Bump... I would like a good Chocolate Mousse Recipe too icon_smile.gif

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 13 Feb 2006 , 8:24am
post #5 of 10

I am thinking that you could make a ganache and just add some whip cream to it to make it more moussie, or a fudge frosting and do the same thing. It would have to be refrigerated of course. Does she like cream cheese frosting?

OzCakelover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OzCakelover Posted 13 Feb 2006 , 9:22am
post #6 of 10

This is the recipe I use for my cakes.

250g Cream Cheese (softened)
100g Castor Sugar
1 Egg
250g Dark Chocolate (melted)
600ml fresh Thickened Cream (This might be called double cream or fresh whipping cream where you are..I'm in Australia)

Cream together Cream Cheese, sugar and egg until smooth and light.

Add melted Chocolate and whisk in quickly to prevent chocolate setting.

Add cream while whisking until all mixture has combined. Keep whisking until mixture becomes quite thick and then refrigerate until mousse has set. (I like to make it the night before).

I slice my cake into 3 and fill each layer with the mousse. I then Put cake together and then mask the whole cake and refrigerate until set.

I do all my cakes in stabelized fresh Cream. So I just Ice cake as usual and add decorations.

I hope you enjoy this recipe.

A few tips though.. With the cream cheese I like to take it out of fridge for a while before using so its not so cold. I have used it straight from the fridge and find it dosnt go as smooth when mixing it in with sugar and egg.
Also with the chocolate, once melted just let it sit for a bit..dont add it while its tooo hot.. As long as it still runny to poor into mixture. And when adding it, like I said above.. keep it whisking all the time..if you dont the chocolate can set too quickly and you will have choc chips through it..this is why I suggest not adding the chocolate while too hot.

Enjoy

Tash

kaurislapsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaurislapsi Posted 13 Feb 2006 , 9:41am
post #7 of 10

OzCakelover: Your recipe says "fresh Thickened Cream"...since I'm not english speaking person (well I speak it a little bit)...does this mean 600ml whipped cream? Or cream BEFORE whipping. I mean do I measure 600ml cream and whip it or do I measure something like 300ml and whip it and take 600ml of ready whipped stuff?... does this make any sense?

Jenni the newbie

OzCakelover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OzCakelover Posted 13 Feb 2006 , 10:44am
post #8 of 10

Hi Jenni

My recipe is for 600ml of non whipped cream..so straight from the container. I hope that is a little more help.

Tash

cande Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cande Posted 16 Feb 2006 , 6:56pm
post #9 of 10

Here's my favorite recipe

600 ml fresh cream
2 leafs of gelatine
350 g dark chocolate, melted and moderately cooled
50 g self-made powdered vanilla sugar

soften gleatine according to package directions

mix cream and powdered sugar together, whip til almost at soft peak stage. Add softened gelatine. While whisking on speed 2, working quickly pour chocolate into bowl in a small steady stream. (Not too slow and not too quickly, or like Tash said, you'll get chocolate chunks--make sure chocolate is moderately cooled) After all of chocolate is added, increase speed and whisk until you have a light and fluffy mousse consistency. Don't whip too long or you'll get chocolate butter, lol. Put in fridge for 1 hour to finish off.

After torting your cake, you can line it with a collar and make really high layers, or completely cover the cake in so that it is encased in mousse.

kaurislapsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaurislapsi Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 10:25am
post #10 of 10

Cande: I made your mousse and it was SOOOOOO GOOOOD!!!
I put some pear (from a can) along (mix it in when mousse was ready). I made a very thick layer of it. Sorry I don't have a picture, but I make a new one tomorrow....

Jenni

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%