Has Anybody Here Used Americolor Flo-Coat?

Decorating By BakingGirl Updated 26 May 2011 , 1:35am by diana1775

BakingGirl Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 14

I am looking for some instructions on how to use it. I bought a bottle a while back but have not yet used it since I have no idea what the ratio of Flo-Coat to gel color is. There is no instruction on the bottle. icon_confused.gif

I usually use IMBC but find it really hard to color when I need dark colors. I end up with pools of separated color at the bottom of my bowls. Or even worse, puddles of separated color on the cake itself.

Am I right to think if I add Flo-Coat to my gel colors and turn the colors into oil based colors, I may have more success tinting my IMBC?

13 replies
doescakestoo Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 14

I don't know. But if you have some icing already made try a little in it. I know about the candy part but haven't tried it with icing.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 6:08pm
post #3 of 14

I have no idea about IMBC, but I use Flo=coat with the gel colours to colour candy coatings. I use 6 drops of Flo-coat to 1 drop of colouring. Hope that helps a bit!

Teekakes Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 6:15pm
post #4 of 14

I just bought some over the weekend to color white chocolate and the lady told me to put 1 teaspoon of flow coat into my color gel, mix it up good and then work it into my 1 pound of chocolate. I hope this works because it will tick me off to waste a pound of white chocolate.

I'll be watching for replies and see if any of the other members have different advice. Glad you started this thread! thumbs_up.gif

kelleygirl Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 14

I found instructions on the web. See below. I used it to color candy coating and the color was nice. One warning though, in the instructions it says to continue to add flow coat if the candy starts to set up. There is a such thing as too much. I was making calligraphy letters with a mold and after about the third batch, they kept breaking when trying to get them out of the mold. I was thoroughly frustrated and then it dawned on me to make an entire new batch of candy coating and work faster to avoid having to use so much flo-coat. otherwise it's nice and doesn't alter the taste.

I used forest green, too so the candy was pretty dark.

BakingGirl Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 10:30pm
post #6 of 14

Thank you all for your advice so far. kelleygirl, thanks for the link. You know, sometimes I think I am not too bright, I should have been able to find that myself. icon_redface.gif So now I know the ratio, thank you!

I bought the Flo-Coat originally so that I can use it instead of keeping a full set of candy colors for the few times I do chocolate transfers. The idea that I may be able to use it for IMBC occurred to me the other day. Unfortunately I do not have any IMBC already made up to try. I was hoping someone had tried Flo-Coat in IMBC before I make up the icing for the cake I have planned. If I find out it does not work I will stick to my method of coloring IMBC, adding color the the meringue before the butter is added. But that leaves me with a full batch of the same color which is not always useful.

So if anyone else has tried, please let me know!

kelleygirl Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 9:45am
post #7 of 14

i've been coloring my IMBC no problem. i've never colored it will really dark colors like black or brown, but every other color has worked out okay.

Here's my little secret. Even though I love and swear by IMBC (white chocolate) has become my signature icing, i make up batches of 1/2 and 1/2 buttercream (1/2 butter, 1/2 shortening) and keep it for borders and detail.

Because, as we all know, IMBC will start to melt from the heat in your own hand.

playingwithsugar Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 10:38am
post #8 of 14

I have only used Flo-Coat to color candy melts, but had great success with it. It would be interesting to find out how it reacts with your IMBC. Please let us know.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

BakingGirl Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 11:24pm
post #9 of 14

OK, the results are in!

I managed to dig out a bag of left-over IMBC from the freezer which I used for a Flo-Coat test. I put equal amounts of IMBC in two bowls, added equal amounts of gel color to each bowl, and then added the porportionate amount of Flo-Coat to one bowl.

Interestingly the icing which had the Flo-Coat, the colour dispersed much more quickly and with less stirring. The colour developed much richer and darker right away compared to the non-Flo-Coat icing. In the bowl with gel colour only you could see that the icing had tiny microscopic "bubbles" of colour in it, which the Flo-Coat icing did not have. On the negative side, the Flo-Coat thinned the icing and made it very soft. It would certainly make the icing too thin for piping.

I left the bowls of icing in room temperature for 3 hours, came back to find that the non-Flo-Coat icing had developed to the same rich colour as the Flo-Coat icing. The tiny bubbles of colour had also disappeared.

So basically Flo-Coat works, but it does thin the icing, and in the end the same result can be achieved by leaving the coloured icing to rest.

playingwithsugar Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 12:57am
post #10 of 14

Thanks so much for the update! Colorboy is our official Americolor rep. You should send him a PM with this. I am sure he would be very interested to hear it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

diana1775 Posted 25 May 2011 , 4:38pm
post #11 of 14

can i use flo-coat with regular food coloring? meaning liquid, not gel or paste? i need to color white chocolate for coating cake pops and they need to be electric or hot colors, and i've only found those shades in food coloring not candy coloring..help
thank you!

TexasSugar Posted 25 May 2011 , 6:49pm
post #12 of 14

I don't work with IMBC, but have you thought about using powder colors to color it?

cheatize Posted 25 May 2011 , 10:47pm
post #13 of 14

Americolor has electric colors.

diana1775 Posted 26 May 2011 , 1:35am
post #14 of 14

cheatize, yes they do but they are not candy colors, i guess i'll just have to buy their electric colors and use with flo-coat

Thank You

Quote by @%username% on %date%