If You Use A Mix For Carrot Cake- Do You Add Anything?

Decorating By golfgirl1227 Updated 12 Feb 2006 , 5:09am by Loucinda

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 4:20am
post #1 of 8

My mom's b-day is Tues. and I want to make her a cake. She loves carrot cake, so I thought I'd make that. She likes nuts and stuff in hers. What all is normally in one?

I haven't had much luck liking the scratch cakes I've made so I thought I'd use a mix. What do you use and what do you add? Any thoughts/suggestions?

TIA,
Suz

7 replies
Newbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newbie Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 4:28am
post #2 of 8

There is a DELICIOUS recipe on the carrot cake box. I made it for my mom's birthday and everyone really raved about it.

I think it was Duncan Hines, but I'm not sure. I know I found the recipe on their website - I'll see if I can find it....

Brendansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendansmum Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 4:29am
post #3 of 8

My dad is a carrot cake purest.He loves carrot cake, with no extras.I've seen recipes that use walnut, pineapple and raisin's.{Just not all together!}In my opinion the plain mix carrot cake is good, with some good homemade cream cheese icing.You could always jazz it up a little with some fresh shredded carrot.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 4:34am
post #4 of 8

That is about the only scratch cake I have any luck with. icon_wink.gif When I make one, I add nuts, pineapple (drained) and of course some shredded carrots. You could throw some of each of those into a mix without it affecting it, I am sure. And homemade cream cheese frosting to go on it! thumbs_up.gif (Ihave better luck making it in a 9X13 pan as opposed to stacked rounds too)

Newbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newbie Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 4:35am
post #5 of 8

Here's one:
http://www.duncanhines.com/displayRecipes/displayDH.asp?recipeID=357

And here's one from the Betty Crocker website - this one is my absolute FAVORITE!
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/recipe.aspx?recipeId=34317

Enjoy -

golfgirl1227 Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 4:58am
post #6 of 8

And here's one from the Betty Crocker website - this one is my absolute FAVORITE!
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/recipe.aspx?recipeId=34317

Is this on the box? Just wondering if I can use the box as I walk around the store making sure I have everything or if I need to write it down. icon_razz.gif

Thanks for the suggestions. I want to start working on my scratch carrot cake recipe, but I just don't have the time or energy before Tues. as we have a bridal show to prepare for this week, and I just don't want to have to keep baking carrot cakes if they aren't good, KWIM?

Thanks again!

golfgirl1227 Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 4:58am
post #7 of 8

edited to remove my double post:
Oops, got a little too excited with the submit button apparently!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 5:09am
post #8 of 8

That is why I suggested just putting the additional carrots, pineapple and nuts in it. (it is basically what that recipe is!) Just use 1/2 cup of each and you should be good to go, even if it isn't on the box.

Coconut and raisins are good too, but a lot of folks balk at those ingredients, so I don't ususally use them in mine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%