Did I Step On Someones Toes?

Decorating By mcalhoun Updated 13 Mar 2007 , 4:42pm by msauer

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 12

I was reading another forum this morning and cant get it out of my mind. It was talking about doing a wedding cake and it not being the only one at the wedding. Well I was asked to do a grooms cake for a friend for last weekend. I did the cake delivered it set it up and was told all went well with it. BUT now I am worried because I have no idea who did the wedding cake. It never crossed my mind to make sure it was ok with the other cake person for me to do this. I just assumed the bride picked her cake and the groom picked mine. Should I try and find out who made the wedding cake? I don't want to make anyone upset with me. icon_sad.gif I would not attempt a wedding cake right now as I don't think my skills are up to that yet. That is one of the most important days in someones life and if I made a mistake - I would just never get over it. Please give me your opinions on this.
Melissa

11 replies
beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 3:48pm
post #2 of 12

i would say you did nothing to upset anyone. if the other cake decorater was upset, it should be with the couple who hired two different people. and if they had a problem with that, then they should have brought it up before agreeing to make the cake.

isabelianico Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabelianico Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 12

I agree with beccakelly. It wasn't your fault in the least and I wouldn't worry about it. I believe that they probably liked your idea better and went with that but if the person who made the wedding cake is upset by this she should take it up with the bride. Don't sweat it! icon_biggrin.gif

duncansmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
duncansmom Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 3:56pm
post #4 of 12

I don't see anything wrong with making a Groom's cake and someone else doing a wedding cake. I know this would upset some people but it's just not right. It's like hiring someone to take care of the food but not the cake. That happens. Don't worry about it. I too am not good enough to do wedding cakes but a friend of mine asked and I did it. It turned out great. You really should try it.

acholloway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acholloway Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 3:57pm
post #5 of 12

I agree. I am also going to be doing a Groom's cake in May, but not doing the wedding cake. My skills aren't up to doing a wedding cake either. Since I am still fairly new at this decorating stuff, it has always been my understanding that the groom took care of his cake and the bride took care of the "big" cake. Things may have changed since I got married though (18 1/2 yrs ago)!

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 3:59pm
post #6 of 12

If anyone was upset, it's the fault of the bride and groom. Some bakers might not like the idea, others might not care. Either way around, it is the responsibility of the bridge and groom. Also, as some bakers have posted, if they have a "too many chefs" issue, they put it in as part of the contract. I wouldn't try to hunt anyone down. You didn't do anything wrong.

KellJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellJ Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 4:04pm
post #7 of 12

I wouldn't worry about it at all. Maybe the person that did the wedding cake didn't do grooms cakes or maybe didn't have time to do one. I really don't think it's any of their business any way. It's up to the bride and groom to do what they want, it's THEIR day not the bakers.

koppeskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koppeskreations Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 4:10pm
post #8 of 12

The only thing I can say here is that, you are not at fault. Nor is the bride or groom in a sense. The wedding cake maker may have disgruntled feelings about it. And the reasoning being is that (and this can be vice versa also) what if one of the cakes were dry or tasted bad or worse yet food poisioning. How do the guests know who did which one. To many they would automaticly think that the same person did both. It basically puts the reputation of someone on the line. From my own experience before I really got into decorating. The lady who did my wedding cake had a very good reputation and I wanted to do my sheet cakes to save some money. Well she explained to me why she was uncomfortable doing that. A few years ago she made the main cake and they got the sheet cakes from the local bakery, well she found out after the wedding that the sheet cakes were old, the frosting on the cakes had gone bad. Well she had her business cards out and guess who the guests thought made all the cake. It put her business name out there as the bad cakes. So she had a policy that only she does all the cakes, no and if or's about it. So just my two cents I picked up on the way of cake knowledge, and to me this makes very good sense.

Thanks
NIkki

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 4:12pm
post #9 of 12

I do wedding cakes and I do groom's cakes. I've been approached to do just the wedding cakes before and to do just the groom's cakes ... it's all in who contacts you really. The groom's mother, in several situations I've handled, contacted me to do a cake for her son. Someone else did the wedding cake and I've even met some of them while they were setting up their cake ... no one thought anything of it ... so don't fret .. it's all o.k. and you did great I'm sure icon_smile.gif

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 4:24pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks everyone I am not going to worry about it anymore.
Melissa

Moviechick00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moviechick00 Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 4:25pm
post #11 of 12

I dont think any toes were stepped on. If you read my thread about the momzilla instead of bridezilla. The case with that cake was that the mob was that she heard "free" when she was asked if they wanted them to make the cake. The bride and groom had asked me a year and a half in advance. Still when I think about it today it makes me a mad not that there were two cakes but that the bride couldnt pick up the phone to tell me hey my cousin wants to make the cake. It was a huge expense for me to travel and worked instead of enjoying the wedding. It would not have hurt my feelings at all. I did a grooms cake this weekend and they had ordered the wedding cake from WalMart. That was no big deal for me....I kept thinking I am so glad that I am not make both cakes. LOL

MC

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 4:42pm
post #12 of 12

I wouldn't worry about it either. Have you ever thought that maybe the decorator who did the wedding cake didn't WANT to do a groom's cake? You would have thought they would have had the first opportunity since they were already working with the bride.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%