p106_peppy Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 7:50am
post #1 of

I cant help but notice that a lot of buttercream recipes call for flour. What does the flour do? It seems to me that it would just give the BC an iky raw flour taste. I never use flour in mine and it always turns out fine.

Is there something I'm missing? why add flour?

13 replies
Ladycake Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 2:07pm
post #2 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by p106_peppy

I cant help but notice that a lot of buttercream recipes call for flour. What does the flour do? It seems to me that it would just give the BC an iky raw flour taste. I never use flour in mine and it always turns out fine.

Is there something I'm missing? why add flour?





I would not do this either but I have read that it takes way from it being so sweet.... Yuck ... LOL .... There is other things you can do to help with the sweetness....

MrsMissey Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 2:11pm
post #3 of

I was under the impression that the flour acts as a stabilizer and aids in the crusting...but I don't use it, I use the meringue powder instead!

Ladycake Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 2:18pm
post #4 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMissey

I was under the impression that the flour acts as a stabilizer and aids in the crusting...but I don't use it, I use the meringue powder instead!





YOU know it could do that . I never thought of that one Mrs Missey.... I use Stay Ice for my stabilizer to help in the melting with humidity on summer days...

CIndymm4 Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 2:42pm
post #5 of

I use the Meringue Powder as well, but where do you get Stay Ice. The humidity in this area is so bad that I may need to look into that product.

Ladycake Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 2:47pm
post #6 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIndymm4

I use the Meringue Powder as well, but where do you get Stay Ice. The humidity in this area is so bad that I may need to look into that product.





I order a large bucket from my cake store as to where you can get it online I have found it one place and off the top of my head I cant remember I will look this afternoon to see if I can find it for you ...

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 5:21pm
post #7 of

I don't use it or meringue powder... but based on what I'm reading here... flour is certainly cheaper than meringue powder if they are both used for the same purpose (crusting).

tcturtleshell Posted 10 Apr 2005 , 4:17am
post #8 of

Have ya'll used the faux fondant recipe? I have & it was very tasty! Carol Ann swears by it. You can't taste the flour in it at all. It is good! I guess the flour is for crusting. I never even thought about it. I just thought the Faux Fondant recipe was cheaper then regular BCI. I still use BC all the time. I would like to practice faux fondant more.

cupcakequeen Posted 10 Apr 2005 , 5:19am
post #9 of

I tried this 2 weeks ago and it actually give your icing a gritty/grainy feel in your teeth...not nice. As for the crusting, I noticed nothing different. Stick to what you do without the flour, it's not necessary (in my opinion).

p106_peppy Posted 10 Apr 2005 , 5:38am

Why does everyone here want their BC to crust? I mean, a crust on your icing, that's just gross. If anything, it shoul dbe something that's avoided, right?

cupcakequeen Posted 10 Apr 2005 , 5:45am

when you see those perfectly smoothed wedding cakes without any creases or wrinkles, they have used crusting BC. It air dries slightly so you can smooth it out with parchment paper or papertowel, so you can have perfect edges or smooth sides and tops. It doens't affect the taste at all and it's not rock hard crusty. I don't use it unless someone wants a perfectly smooth wedding cake...I don't do it for birthday cakes or cupcakes though.

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 12 Apr 2005 , 5:37pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by p106_peppy

Why does everyone here want their BC to crust? I mean, a crust on your icing, that's just gross. If anything, it shoul dbe something that's avoided, right?




It's just a term used.. it doesn't really crust over like a pudding or certain soups might. It's totally different. I use it for all my cakes. The icing stays very soft and palatable. No difference in how it looks, tastes or feels in your mouth. It's just easier to smooth and to do certain decorating techniques with... and it rarely smears...

veejaytx Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 3:45am

Just an observation, or a question, but if the buttercream doesn't "crust" to some extent, wouldn't the piping, writing, flowers, everything, just eventually melt or blend in together? Now THAT would be "gross"!
Janice

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 3:52am

Hmmm. something to think about.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%