I Need To Do A Waterfall And A Lake, Need Advice.

Decorating By BakingGirl Updated 13 Mar 2007 , 5:35pm by karaokegirl

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 3:48am
post #1 of 5

I have been asked to do a jungle themed cake and the lady asked me to incorporate a lake and a waterfall. I have seen cakes here before with that so I know they are done with coloured piping gel. I just have a couple of questions regarding that technique.

Can this be done on both fondant and buttercream? I assume the fondant/buttercream right underneath the lake has to remain white for the colour to stay true? Just trying to figure out how to actually cover the cakes before adding the piping gel.

How thick do you put it on? Just wondering how it works on the vertical surface on the side of the cake, ai the waterfall. I don't want it coming sliding off the cake.

If you have any experience with this I would love to hear about it.

4 replies
idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 4:35am
post #2 of 5

you could also hollow out the portion where the lake is going and put blue jello in it, if it's for a childs party. I did that last year, and the kids loved it. doing the waterfall - someone here on CC can help

Jenteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenteach Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 12:17pm
post #3 of 5

For the waterfall I did on my Diego cake, I used royal blue buttercream on top of the green fondant that I had used for the mountain, and then I used royal blue piping gel over that. I think it turned out ok and I got lots of compliments on the cake.

HTH

Jen

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 1:38pm
post #4 of 5

Jenteach, your cake looks great. Good idea to "prime" in same coloured buttercream under the piping gel.

idoweddingcookies, good idea with the jello. On this cake the area will be a bit too small but it would be great for a pool cake or a cake with more "water".

Anyone else have any more insight that may help?

karaokegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karaokegirl Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 5:35pm
post #5 of 5

I did a dino cake with a volcano and lake made of jello - its here at CakeCetral as Top of the Food Chain. Dinos were just plastic, not nearly as creative as others here but way easier and faster. I just cut the cake out and scooped the jello in. The extra cake I used to build up the volcano.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%