"shiny" Buttercream Flowers

Decorating By Newbie Updated 10 Apr 2005 , 1:57pm by GHOST_USER_NAME

Newbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newbie Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 6:28am
post #1 of 12

I love the cakes on this website.

http://www.jacquespastries.com/alloccasion15.htm

Can anyone tell me how they get the flowers so glossy looking??

Thanks - Newbie

11 replies
GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 6:48am
post #2 of 12

Some people add corn syrup or piping gel to their icing to make it shiny. That makes my icing too soft for roses. These may be done this way, though, since they do not the stability roses need.

BTW, It makes me feel so good to see his imperfect smoothing job... makes me feel there is hope for me yet. Now see, the rest of you need to calm down about it, too!!

AngelWendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelWendy Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 7:10am
post #3 of 12

I keep getting an error on the link, so I can't look.

Flowers may look glossy if they get wet - if they are putting out moisture. It may not be intentional.

You can get a clear/pearlescent luster dust that may make cake decorations look glossier.

~AngelWendy

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 7:22am
post #4 of 12

No, this is Jacques cakes... no mistakes here. I really think it's something he's adding. It doesn't look like dusts to me. I thought of dusts also until looked at the cakes ... again (I've seen them all many times before).

ilithiya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilithiya Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 7:39am
post #5 of 12

Could it be a cooked sugar syrup based buttercream? I've never worked with them, so it's just an idea.

Illy

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 7:50am
post #6 of 12

I think it's his recipe too. Maybe he's using a meringue-type buttercream. I've also read that adding a little bit of vinegar to your icing will make it shiny. I've never tried it. I didn't think it would work or taste right. If someone does try it, let us know if it worked.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 10:21am
post #7 of 12

I see what you mean about the imperfect smoothing...the writing doesn't look too perfect either! Seems like we are wanting/trying too hard to be perfect, and evidently it isn't possible with this medium. Janice

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 5:34pm
post #8 of 12

Yeah, I agree... if it's passable for Jacques... we certainly need to lighten up on ourselves quite a bit!!

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 8:09pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by veejaytx

I see what you mean about the imperfect smoothing...the writing doesn't look too perfect either! Seems like we are wanting/trying too hard to be perfect, and evidently it isn't possible with this medium. Janice

After I make a cake and a little something here is off and a little something there is wrong I just tell myself It's cake and frosting! Makes me feel better icon_smile.gif

AngelWendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelWendy Posted 10 Apr 2005 , 7:13am
post #10 of 12

I really like the writing style on his cakes. It must be very thin to write with a size 1 or smaller tip in such a flowing script!

I finally got to his site tonight and spent over an hour viewing all the galleries of all his cakes. Wow! Very artistic tops on the all-occasion ones. I figured out more what I want on my own wedding cake - and I have to get some seashell candy molds! icon_smile.gif

I wonder if you add a lot of piping gel to your buttercream if it gets more shiny?

Blessings,
~AngelWendy

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 10 Apr 2005 , 1:42pm
post #11 of 12

I have emailed him on the same question....if he emails me back I will let you know what he says.

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 10 Apr 2005 , 1:57pm
post #12 of 12

It's got to be a Swiss meringue-type buttercream. It's very similar in look to the one that The Cupcake Cafe here in NYC uses. It's a beautiful look and it tastes wonderful. Very smooth without the "grittiness" of some buttercreams due to the fact that you start with a sugar syrup.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%