How Do I Make Reddish/orange'ish Lava?

Decorating By normak Updated 14 Mar 2007 , 1:25am by have2kids

normak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
normak Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 1:03am
post #1 of 5

I'm making a star wars cake for my son. He wants the fight scene at the end of Episode III (those who've made them and those with boys know what I'm talking about!). I know what I want and I've seen a ton of great ones on here for inspiration. But I dont know how to make the icing look like lava? I'm not all that great at this whole cake decorating thing, but my children just love it when I at least try.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

4 replies
dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 1:24am
post #2 of 5

I did that cake for my son's b-day! There's a picture in my photos. I used lots of Wilton red and orange till I achieved the color I wanted.I used buttercream frosting thinned down. Ialso made pastillidge flames using red and orange. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

bluehen92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluehen92 Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 1:28am
post #3 of 5

LOL! It sounds like I'm making the same cake for my son this weekend! I think I'm going to use a little red & a little orange & we'll see what happens icon_confused.gif I'm leaning towards making one batch of red BC, and another orange so I can swirl them together without actually mixing them - does that make sense?

-Lisa

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 1:35am
post #4 of 5

Yeah I like mixing two or three icings in one bag, it does a great stripe/swirl effect! For lava, I might even add a bit of dark greyish/black icing as well, just a bit to swirl in with everything else...real lava has black crusts with red hot stuff coming up through it, as parts cool during travel...

have2kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
have2kids Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 1:25am
post #5 of 5

I put my red and orange BC in baggies and zapped them in the micro for just a few seconds at a time until you could "pour" it, to look like flowing lava. I then alternated between the colors pouring on top of each other so they weren't really mixed but, looked real. It had a nice flow to it.
Be careful not to zap too long however, BC burns quickly. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%