Dummy Cake

Decorating By curiegas Updated 18 Apr 2005 , 11:36am by AngelWendy

curiegas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
curiegas Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 3:57am
post #1 of 8

I read on another post that you can buy styrofoam and cover it with wax paper, contact paper. My question is has anyone done this and does the icing slide off?

What are other peoples experiences with dummy cakes? What kind do you use? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cecilia

7 replies
Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiegas

I read on another post that you can buy styrofoam and cover it with wax paper, contact paper. My question is has anyone done this and does the icing slide off?

What are other peoples experiences with dummy cakes? What kind do you use? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cecilia

I have never covered with either when making a dummy cake... I cover with buttercream or royal mainly royal icing... I have never heard of anyone covering with wax paper or contact I would think that it would make a lot of lines that you would not be able to get out... I dont know why they would be covering them.....

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 7:36pm
post #3 of 8

Someone told me to use the press n' seal wrap (reason for covering the dummy is so you can use it again, instead of having to throw it away), but I was nervous about the icing sliding off, so I didn't cover it.

Melissa icon_smile.gif

Sahmlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sahmlock Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 1:33pm
post #4 of 8

I pretty much can figure that it is NOT a real cake, but what exactly does one use to make such a dummy cake? thanks in advance.
icon_biggrin.gif

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 1:40pm
post #5 of 8

The purpose in a dummy cake is to practice your icing techniques without actually having to bake a cake, so it saves you time ( baking a cake and letting it cool), and it saves you the expense of a cake. I bake alot, so the chance to practice without actually baking another cake would be great. I haven't tried the dummy cake thing yet because I live in a small town and no one has cake dummies. I like the thought of using styrofoam though. Can the styrofoam be cleaned without it getting messed up to use again or would you need to buy a new piece everything you wanted to practice.

Tea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tea Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 7:13am
post #6 of 8

I usually practice on dummy cakes instead of the real ones. I never tried using anything to cover them up before I decorate them though (I also think that the BC will slide right off). I cover them in buttercream all the time, and I don't throw them away after I use them because the buttercream can be washed off with some dish washing detergent. Of course it won't be perfectly greaseless after you use it a couple of times (you don't wanna scrub it too hard because you don't wanna dent the styrofoam), but it's for practice purpose only and on body is gonna lick the cream off the cake, so it's ok that it's greasy. I love my dummy cakes. They make life so much easier icon_smile.gif

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 7:18am
post #7 of 8

And at least here in Europe a dummy cake is something they have at weddings to look nice all through the reception...it usually resembles the actual wedding cake....it costs 1/2 the amount of a real cake and bakers here consider that part of doing a wedding cake... its a package deal.... dont quite understand it, but who am I to tell then its a weird custom...

AngelWendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelWendy Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 11:36am
post #8 of 8

That's interesting, Flayvurdfun! Never heard of that!

I would think covering the styrofoam dummy with something like tin foil might help protect it for easier clean up after. So far I've just made real cakes, but I'm also interesting in practicing more, so I might get a dummy or two.

~AngelWendy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%