Can You Freeze Buttercream Roses?

Decorating By mookie123 Updated 14 Apr 2015 , 12:09am by kjshew

mookie123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mookie123 Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 9:47pm
post #1 of 19

I'm new to all this, and I must say I'm loveing it! I'm getting a few orders, but I still work pretty slowly. Can I make buttercream roses ahead of time and freeze them? I was told I could air dry them like royal icing, but they looked not so pretty in a short amount of time.
Thanks!

18 replies
Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 19

Yes you can. I have frozen them up to a week and then let them defrost at room temperature.

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 9:59pm
post #3 of 19

I always make my buttercream flowers ahead of time and freeze them. Just a word of warning. When you decorate the cake, you have to place the frozen flowers on VERY quickly. They start to thaw immediately. I usually just grab a couple of flowers from the freezer and then go back for more. Otherwise, they will thaw out before you can finish decorating and it will be very difficult to place on the cake.

hamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamie Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 9:59pm
post #4 of 19

The roses are much easier to move to the cake if they are frozen. If I have time, I always freeze mine. That way I can move them around on the cake if I need to.

MissT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissT Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 9:59pm
post #5 of 19

mookie - can you explain how you mean that they look "not so pretty in a short amount of time"? I have had problems in the past where the color got spotty, but since switching to Americolor that has not happened and if I pack them in an airtight container they look fine for a long time.

Just wondering. icon_smile.gif

sdanczak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdanczak Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 10:49pm
post #6 of 19

I agree - they ARE much easier to move to the cake when frozen. I have frozen them up to a week before I needed them.

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 11:19pm
post #7 of 19

I'm another one who agrees that BC roses are MUCH easier to put on a cake when they're frozen. I've never had any problems with freezing them! icon_smile.gif

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 11:22pm
post #8 of 19

Freezing is the way to go.
I agree with butternut, only take out a couple at a time because they do thaw quickly. icon_biggrin.gif

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 9:17pm
post #9 of 19

Is the color not affected if you freeze them? I need to make deep red roses for a cake...

selahmycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
selahmycat Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 9:24pm
post #10 of 19

I always make mine ahead of time and put them in the freezer. I haven't mastered the scissor things to move roses! In fact, I always make more than I need, and that way I have a varity of them ready in case I get a last minute cake.

selahmycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
selahmycat Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 9:24pm
post #11 of 19

I forgot, I have never had problems with the colors turning. I have done a lot of deep colors, red, blue, purple, and they have always looked good!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 9:32pm
post #12 of 19

1. Yes, you can freeze buttercream roses.

2. I have not seen color being affected by the freezing process, however in a buttercream they suggest stopping two shades lighter than you need as buttercreams inherently go darker over time.

3. If you are drydusting them with lustre dust, do it when they are frozen and work FAST! There's nothing worse than a gooey rose sticking to your dry brush and clumping the lustre dust.

MessiET Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 9:58pm
post #13 of 19

Fantastic. I get so many great ideas from this site. thumbs_up.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 10:01pm
post #14 of 19

I hate to say this because it sounds so self-promoting, but if you check my www and go to the cakes page, the chocolate heart cake and the golden rose cake were both done with frozen roses drydusted with lustre dust. That will give you an idea of what they look like completed.

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 4:45am
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I hate to say this because it sounds so self-promoting, but if you check my www and go to the cakes page, the chocolate heart cake and the golden rose cake were both done with frozen roses drydusted with . That will give you an idea of what they look like completed.

I checked out your website, and both of those cakes are gorgeous!! I love the effect of the drydusting!! thumbs_up.gif

MessiET Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 12:59pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbyjess

Quote:

I hate to say this because it sounds so self-promoting, but if you check my www and go to the cakes page, the chocolate heart cake and the golden rose cake were both done with frozen roses drydusted with . That will give you an idea of what they look like completed.

I checked out your website, and both of those cakes are gorgeous!! I love the effect of the drydusting!! thumbs_up.gif

I agree with CakesbyJess. Those are great!

bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 1:08pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiET

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbyjess

Quote:

I agree with CakesbyJess. Those are great!

Really? I'm shocked because I'm my own worst critic and I HATE looking at pictures of my work because I KNOW I can do better. So I push myself hard to do better and I do see improvement, but I'm very shy about letting others see it (which is why I only have three pix posted here at CC) icon_confused.gif I guess I'll just have to get over it! icon_lol.gif

MessiET Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 1:14pm
post #18 of 19

We are our own worst critic. I know I want my cakes to look perfect! icon_biggrin.gif

kjshew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjshew Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 12:09am
post #19 of 19

Hi there, can anyone tell me if freezing buttercream flowers affects the flowers as they thaw out on the cake? Eg, it doesn't run the colours or drip ay residue on the cake? Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%