What Is Causing The White Spots?

Decorating By momoftwogirls Updated 10 Feb 2006 , 3:48am by stephanie214

momoftwogirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momoftwogirls Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 9

I made up a batch of pink buttercream. I put in a container to sit over night. Today it has white spots.

I did not use milk in the recipe - I used water.

Did I just not mix it well??. I don't want white spots on my cake.

Please help!!
Thanks
Christina

8 replies
irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 9

If you used salt in your icing I think that will do it sometimesicon_smile.gif

meghan89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghan89 Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 9

Are you sifting the powered sugar before mixing it in? I didnt sift my powered sugar once, and I had white spots all throughout my buttercream! The whitespots are clumps of powered sugar, i think? Good Luck!

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 10:19pm
post #4 of 9

I think salt is the most likely culprit. Either use popcorn salt or dissolve the salt in your liquid rather than adding it dry. If those don't help, I don't know what to tell you. =)

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 10:24pm
post #5 of 9

I don't add salt to my buttercream & sometimes I get little white spots in it. At least with mine, it seems to be that I'm not letting the butter & shortening blend well enough together before adding my powdered sugar. The little white spots in mine look like shortening that didn't mix.

momoftwogirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momoftwogirls Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 10:46pm
post #6 of 9

well darn!
I did not use salt so it must not have been blended well enough.
I am going to try mixing again.
It is for my daughters cake. It that doesn't help, I will just have to make another batch. Darn darn!

Thanks a bunch for the quick response!~

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 2:51am
post #7 of 9

I agree that salt can do that, but it isn't the only cause. I do think the other cause could be as someone said that the cirsco or butter, wasn't blended in completely, and there was just a small bit that didn't take the color. If you still have it you can try blending it a little more to see if you can blend in the white spots.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 2:55am
post #8 of 9

i haven't experienced this yet (and praying the the cake god's that I don't)

However someone else (i believe on this site) said that they found out it was their water. They had something that was reacting with the stuff in the icing. Not sure if your water is treated or if it is well water-to many things for me to think about. Could always try bottled water to test it out.

HTH

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 3:48am
post #9 of 9

I have those spots with certain colors sometimes but they disappear when I stir it up before using.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%