Best Icing For "professional-Looking" Cookies

Baking By slingmama Updated 24 Feb 2006 , 5:22am by Janzcakes

slingmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slingmama Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 9:31pm
post #1 of 8

I used colorflow per the instructions to ice some cookies and I am not sure how to ice and let the cookies dry. I tried putting them on cooling racks and then letting the icing run down the sides...looked great until I had to take them off the cooking rack. I also tried just icing them on waxed paper and the icing went everywhere.

I really wanted the icing on the top and sides of the cookies. Any suggestions on better ways to do this.

HELP! Thanks-

7 replies
smileyface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smileyface Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 8

I have been using a modified royal icing recipe by Antonia74 (Helen). She has been kind enough to post an excellent article on baking and decorating cookies. Please check out the link, it gives you her recipe.

http://www.cakecentral.com/article54-How-To-Bake--Decorate-Cookies.html

Hope that helps!!

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 10:40pm
post #3 of 8

I Am not really sure how well colour flow will set up on cookies.

To get the icing on the side put it on a cooling rack and flood the Cookie letting the icing spill over the side.

I personally do not think there is any one particular icing that's best for professional looking cookies. It's all in how the decorator uses the icing to his/her advantage to produce the best results.

Play around with a few different cookie icings and see which works best for you.

I forgot to mention that you need to let the cookies set just a bit. Then move them to wax or parchment paper to let them dry completely. Use a spatula to move them or if they are on a stick just lift them off.

slejdick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slejdick Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 3:03am
post #4 of 8

I haven't tried this yet, but am planning to at some point. I think it would work.

Use a small "something" to sit each cookie on so that it isn't resting directly on the cooling rack (or waxed paper, etc) when you pour the icing on it. I'm thinking a lid from a milk jug or something similar. Then when you pour the icing over the cookie, it will drip off the edge, but not stick to the rack. After drying for a while, you should be able to just pick up the cookie and the icing on the sides will be flawless!

Good luck!
Laura.

sofiasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sofiasmami Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 3:15am
post #5 of 8

I use the wilton royal icing and Antonia's recipe ... both work fine ... I don't let mine go on the sides ... you go arround the cookie just a bit from the edge and then around and around on the inside until you have completely filled the cookie ... the first time I read Antonia's tutorial and she said that she doesn't do the edge first but the whole thing at once .. I thought ... I'll never be able to do it that way ....and now that is the only way I would do it ..the results are much nicer ... Antonia's tutorial is great .. that's how I got started

BalloonWhisk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BalloonWhisk Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 3:46am
post #6 of 8

It's gonna take forEVAH to get the icing to cover all the sides of the cookie evenly. I wouldn't bother.

slingmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slingmama Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 4:51am
post #7 of 8

Thanks for the great ideas....I will have to give Antonia74's method a try. Any other ideas....keep them coming.

Thanks

Janzcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janzcakes Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 5:22am
post #8 of 8

I never liked the taste of color flow and I find royal icing just too hard. I decorated my cookies with Sweet Annie's icing. It seems to be a slightly softer royal type icing. I also use buttercream that crusts and they both package up well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%