My Mmf Won't Dry Or Become Stiff, Help!

Decorating By Claire86navy Updated 12 Mar 2007 , 7:44pm by cakesksa

Claire86navy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire86navy Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 5:21pm
post #1 of 8

Hi,
I made a flute and piece of sheet music out of MMF and it wouldn't harden at all. It stayed soft and movable. What am I doing wrong? Is it even supposed to harden like regular fondant? icon_cry.gif

7 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 8

The fondant may be too wet/soft. If you can do it over, start by kneading in a bit of sifted cornstarch (sifted to avoid lumps) or even some Tylose or Gumtex to help it harden and dry.

If you can't start over, try sticking in the fridge

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 8

I like to use Gumtex to my MMF to make it harden. It usually takes only about 1 day to dry. HTH

nannaraquel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannaraquel Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 8

Hmmm....we had opposite problems this weekend! lol My mmf was turning to stone about 3 minutes after I finished kneading it! hehehe Definitely add more powdered sugar or cornstarch while you're kneading. If you're willing to take a chance, attempt to microwave it for 5-10 seconds, let it cool, repeat about 5 times. Let it cool for a minute or so between each heating. It should dry out the marshmallow, but maybe try it with a scrap piece of your mmf, first?

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 8

Use 50/50 Fondant/Gumpaste and allow enough time for drying. Some of my pieces have taken weeks depending on how thick or fat they are......

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 6:26pm
post #6 of 8

How long are you waiting for it to be dry? I know when I use MMF it takes days before it's hard and sometimes days more before it's totally dry. Plus I'm in Texas where it's sometimes humid so that is a factor as well.

These days, I add Tylose powder to my fondant to make it more like gumpaste. Then you can get it real thin (like for a bow), and it will dry quicker.

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Claire86navy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire86navy Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 7:18pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone I'll try a few of these things.

cakesksa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesksa Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 7:44pm
post #8 of 8

Hello,

I also add a little Gum-tex to MMF to get it to dry/hold it's shape/harden fast. I don't add it to the whole batch of fondant, just the piece I am working with. It doesn't take much, and once you the Gum-tex the MMF will start to dry fast, so keep anything you are working on under plastic wrap if you have to set it aside for a minute. I knead the piece, then add just a sprinkle to the top and work it in. Just an estimate-for a piece of MMF the size of a small handful I'd add about 1/2 teaspoon or so. Even larger pieces dry overnight. The pirate in my photos I finished at about 4 am and I put it on the cake at about 5 pm the same day (it was about 4-5" tall).

Julie icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%