Cali4Dawn-Icing Question!

Decorating By prettytoya Updated 25 Apr 2005 , 6:17pm by AgentCakeBaker

prettytoya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettytoya Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 8:26pm
post #1 of 12

Hello! It's me again! Thanks so much for your buttercream recipe-I use it exclusively now! How long will it keep without refridgeration? I have a cake on Tuesday, but was thinking about how far in advance I'd like to complete it... icon_lol.gif

11 replies
GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 12

Well.. hahahahahaha..... I use it several days old without any weariness. I recently told on this forum about my buttercream icing experiment.

I made some buttercream on December 8, 2004 and placed about 1 pound of it in an airtight container. Every couple of weeks I check on it. I smell it and even taste it. So far it tastes and feels the same as the day I made it. I would never put it on a cake. But it's been fun seeing how long it has lasted.

prettytoya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettytoya Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 9:37pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks Ms. Dawn! I guess I can make it tonight and not get anyone sick on Tuesday-LOL! Thanks so much for the recipe (real butter-there's nothing like it!) and the helpful hints! Have a super weekend!

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 10:46pm
post #4 of 12

Dawn
What recipe of yours is she referring to? I would love to try it on my next project.

Last night I used the 1/2 cup butter 1/2 cup shortening recipe and it was better than all shortening but just didn't knock my socks off. You know what I mean.

Joshsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshsmom Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 10:47pm
post #5 of 12

cali4dawn,

Do you have your buttercream icing in the recipes section. I've been trying different recipes to see which one is the best and I would love to try your recipe.

Thanks a bunch

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 7:16am
post #6 of 12

1.5 cups butter
1 cup shortening
2 Tablespoons flavoring
2 cups powdered sugar

This makes a stiff consistency. Add milk or creamer to thin down.

sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 3:38pm
post #7 of 12

W icon_surprised.gif W, you really only use 2 cups of powdered sugar to all of that butter and shortening or did you mean 2 pounds

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 4:39pm
post #8 of 12

I just knew somebody else would catch this! Talk about your greasy icing!

But we knew that it was just a typo, Cali! Janice

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 5:18pm
post #9 of 12

pounds- sorry! See, I shouldn't be allowed on this thing so late at night... I lead my dear friends astray! Thanks so much for catching that!!!

AgentCakeBaker Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 8:31pm
post #10 of 12

Dawn

Which flavoring do you use for your recipe?

Pure Vanilla
Clear vanilla

Have you tried it with vanilla and almond flavoring?

By the way, I tried your recipe for the first time last night and it was soooooo good. I accidentally put pure vanilla in my icing and the icing turn colors slightly. I had to make a new batch of icing b/c my customer wanted white.

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 6:12pm
post #11 of 12

I use whatever flavor I want to go with the cake. I may use vanilla, I may use butter, i may use almond or strawberry. I have even used Rootbeer extract. It's all up to you.

AgentCakeBaker Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 6:17pm
post #12 of 12

When you use vanilla is it pure or clear?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%