Curious About Starting Cake Business

Business By cakeladee Updated 14 Feb 2006 , 6:15pm by parismom

cakeladee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladee Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 11:28pm
post #1 of 7

I was wondering if you all run bakeries or out of your home? and is out of your home even possible with health codes and stuff? are you all licensed or something or just for fun fro friends and such? Just wondering for future possible plans if it's even feasible for me.Thanks for any help

6 replies
MsTamara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsTamara Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 11:37pm
post #2 of 7

Welcome Cakeladee!

You will definitely have to check with your local health authorities on codes etc. The variations are enough to make your head spin. I live in England and it was surprisingly easy to become registered here. I also don't have a bakery. But I'm sure more of the vets can tell you more.

Anyhoo, best wishes on your biz.

BJsGRL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJsGRL Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 3:23am
post #3 of 7

Hi! I am new, too, and am in the same position. I have been doing cakes for friends and family (and others by word-of-mouth!), and charging basically what my supplies cost. I let people know that I am not licensed as a business and that it is basically a hobby at this point for me. However, the way I look at it is I am building up a client base for when I do manage to get a business license!

Tina

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 13 Feb 2006 , 3:28am
post #4 of 7

I am also new to cake decorating - started taking classes because I wanted to learn, and possibly supplement my income from doing cakes. My question is.. is this a profitable enough thing to get into, or is it like my crafting, you make a profit on the supplies, but time wise it does not pay as well. I have seen the pricing matrix, and find it not so great, so would be interested how you all charge to be fair to both yourself and your customer. Thanks for the info!

Debbie

Richard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Richard Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 1:52am
post #5 of 7

Does anyone out there no what the laws are concerning Windsor, Ontario Canada.
I have tried to find something on the web and not been able to.

Kathy R

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 6:00pm
post #6 of 7

99% of all my orders are from family and friends. I don't do a lot of business even there. Occasionally I do a cake for church or my husbands work. I can't become licensed to have a home bakery with the setup I currently have, so I'm holding off on this dream until we build our next house sometime in 4 or 5 years. In the meantime, I'm trying to build a gallery of cakes that will bring me business later. Also gives me time to improve my skills and learn new techniques. I'm anxious for the day I can have a real business and advertise! Think it will be a blast. icon_lol.gif

parismom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
parismom Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 6:15pm
post #7 of 7

I heard people have timeshares in commercial bakeries. I don't know how that works but it sounds expensive.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%