How To Pipe Borders On Cakes.. Besides The Shell Border...

Decorating By briansbaker Updated 4 May 2006 , 4:30pm by Katskakes

briansbaker Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 20

I have only one kind of border down for my cakes.. and that is the shell border.. It's getting pretty darn boring.. I am a self taught person.. SO if anyone has directions PLEASE send them my way... I really want to learn this:

19 replies
Euphoriabakery Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 10:56pm
post #2 of 20

The border used on the top edge of this cake is a reverse shell border. It is done with the same tip used for a shell border. Instead of piping a small hump and pulling straight start just like you would for a shell and come over the top to the left and down like you would end a shell. then on the next shell do the oposite come over the top to the right.
Does this make sense? It's kind of like a little C motion and then pull down.

JennT Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 11:05pm
post #3 of 20

The reverse shell is a very easy border...once you get the hang of it. I practiced it over & over on some wax paper until I got I've even done it with the plain round tips...looks great. Sometimes I trace over it with a tip 2 in a coordinating color, or do another one on top of it but with a smaller version of the same kind of tip...or add dots to the center of the little swirl part of it.

TexasSugar Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 12:14am
post #4 of 20

You can do the shell montion with different tips ,to vary the look of it. If you use a round tip it will give you what htey call the bead boarder. I've also seen the leaf tip used with the shell motion.

If you have a Wilton Yearbook, look in the center section and you will see some directions for different boarders as well. icon_smile.gif

angelas2babies Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 12:28am
post #5 of 20

You can try a bead border. They look very clean and contemporary. I've seen alot of cakes with them, and there are directions in the Wilton book as well.

I stumbled across this website that has some really nice cakes with great borders. Hope this helps.

sweetcakes Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 5:36am
post #6 of 20

how about a triple reverse shell, i love this one. or a scalloped zig-zag can look real nice. a zigzag done with tip 67 is nice too.

JennT Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 5:39am
post #7 of 20

Ooooohhhh....very pretty! I'll have to try that one out! icon_lol.gif Thanks, sweetcakes! icon_biggrin.gif

Euphoriabakery Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 6:54am
post #8 of 20

I love the triple reverse shell! Really pretty!

cande Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 12:40pm
post #9 of 20

Sweetcakes, that is a very pretty cake!

stephanie214 Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 4:54pm
post #10 of 20

Thanks sweetcakes for sharing...very pretty cake.

tcturtleshell Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 5:17pm
post #11 of 20

I love doing the rope border~ Just "S" going in & out of each other. Ntertayneme taught me & Misdawn, BooBoo the reverse shell border. The way she showed us was cursive "L's". Just start doing cursive L & you'll figure it out. I could never figure it out in Wilton class. Just practice & practice & you'll figure it out.

Sweetcakes, I do love that border too!

vitade Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 6:25pm
post #12 of 20

You could do rosettes, leaves, bead, stars. There are some books out there that have all kinds of different border ideas.

MadeYaLook Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 6:30pm
post #13 of 20

Rope borders are super easy and neat too. I don't know how to add a link so if someone can help.......???

briansbaker Posted 4 Mar 2006 , 3:58pm
post #14 of 20

LOOK I DID IT!! My first reverse shell border!!!! I'm so excited!!!

cakefairy18 Posted 4 Mar 2006 , 4:06pm
post #15 of 20

VERY NICE!!!!!!!!!!!

ShelbysYummys Posted 4 Mar 2006 , 5:44pm
post #16 of 20

great job Brian! Your pretty darn good for self taught.You shuld go on Ebay and buy wilton course books There alot of info in them.

leily Posted 5 Mar 2006 , 2:35am
post #17 of 20

Once you get that reverse shell border motion down you have limitless options. The following cake is one I did in class this last week. It would be considered a double reverse shell border, however I did it with the rose tip, fat end down. Hope this gives you some more ideas. Just start playing with tips you never know what you'll find!

ladybug03 Posted 4 May 2006 , 4:33am
post #18 of 20

You guys ROCK! I just learned the reverse shell from all your posts and did it on a 1/2 sheet for a customer...looks great and it feels so good to be out of the shell rut! thumbs_up.gif

candyladyhelen Posted 4 May 2006 , 3:25pm
post #19 of 20

I am soooo old school! I still love the big over sized shell tips for my borders. To me they just make the cake. I do reverse too. But with my brides, I am having to do really tailored borders. The big shells sure do hide alot of the problem areas too!

Katskakes Posted 4 May 2006 , 4:30pm
post #20 of 20

wilton has a new site that's called bakedecoratecelebrate. There's pages that show how to do them. here is the one for the reverse:

Quote by @%username% on %date%