Which Would You Rather Do: Cakes/cupcakes Or Cookies?

Decorating By Phyllis52 Updated 12 Mar 2007 , 5:33pm by CajunDaisy

Phyllis52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phyllis52 Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 11:29am
post #1 of 18

I thought I'd try my hand at decorating Easter cookies this year, but I found out I really find it frustrating! Very time consuming and you need lots of room. It drives me crazy to make different consistencies and colors and the royal icing dries so fast icon_surprised.gif

Am I alone feeling like this?

17 replies
amycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amycake Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 11:35am
post #2 of 18

I love doing cakes and thought of trying cookies not too. But I am afraid now. Is it really tough? I was going to try some this weekend and test them out on some friends of mine to see how they like them, but I don't have tons of time so I will have to see. Do you think like anything else the more you do it the faster you become. It will probably take me an hour to do one cookie. LOL

Amy

amycake Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 11:35am
post #3 of 18

oops.. that would be now too. sorry typo

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 11:36am
post #4 of 18

I do cookies but prefer Cakes or Cupcakes, the cookies are soooooooooooooooooooooooo time consuming but that's what people seem to be buying the most of. Go figure. icon_eek.gif

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 11:38am
post #5 of 18

I become annoyed doing cookies, because I know I could whip a cake out so much more quickly and charge the same/more than I would for a few dozen cookies in a quarter of the time. Maybe it's because I don't like doing cookies as much, or I'm just too slow, but I understand how you feel. I have never enjoyed cupcakes much either, but after I have seen all the beautiful little cupcakes that Nati did, I might change my mind.

Tamanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tamanna Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 11:45am
post #6 of 18

For me i will rate them in this order
1. cakes
2. cupcakes
3. cookies .... maybe

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 11:48am
post #7 of 18

I love cupcakes! I have to be in a mood to do cookies. They are really time consuming for home bakers with limited oven space.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 11:49am
post #8 of 18

Cakes! Althoug I don't mind cookies, kind of theraputic, repetative - but I could never sell them and get my money's worth on them. So they are just for family and close friends.

Can't STAND making cupcakes! I can't get them all to be the same height!

amycake Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 11:49am
post #9 of 18

I need to re-think the whole doing cookie idea. It is just that I had a couple of request for cookies and turned them down so I thought I would try it. But in all honesty I don't have a ton of extra time. I will still try it and have to let you guys know how it goes for me.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 11:52am
post #10 of 18

Cakes, for sure. Cookies make me crazy, you have to be so very exact to make them look good. Cupcakes are ok, but just for leftover batter and family.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 11:57am
post #11 of 18

Gosh, I have thought about this and really have to say I love making one as much as I do the other.
So, no preference here because I love making any one of the three at anytime! icon_biggrin.gif

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 11:58am
post #12 of 18

I have had only one person ask for cookies. I told her I would do them but I hope she decides on something else for the children's treat bags. At least it wouldn't be toomany . Give me cakes or cupcakes any day.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 12:03pm
post #13 of 18

Before surfing this site, it would've been cakes hands down. Now, I find I love doing the cookies. Especially cookie bouquets. I don't sell them, though, just do them as a creative outlet. I find the cookie glaze (either Wilton's poured cookie icing or Toba's..they're the same) works best for me for the icing for cookies. I don't really like the hardness of royal, and the glaze I can make up in very small amounts in just seconds.

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 12:15pm
post #14 of 18

Cakes are my favorite. I just recently did cookies for the first time and really enjoyed them, so I hope to get more practice working on those. Cupcakes, I have never made any that are spectacular so I can't say I enjoy making those.

Phyllis52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phyllis52 Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 12:27pm
post #15 of 18

Wow! Great responses!

I thought it was just me..............

Thanks everyone

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 12:36pm
post #16 of 18

I used to really like doing cakes but I find I am much happier doing cookies.......to me, they take less time and are more forgiving than a cake.

msladybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msladybug Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 2:00pm
post #17 of 18

I actually prefer cupcakes b/c my oldest is 7 and they are eaten much better in class and much easier to pass out to the kids.

I am working up to cakes, I am very very new at cakes

CajunDaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CajunDaisy Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 5:33pm
post #18 of 18

I love love love cupcakes!

1. Cupcakes
2. Cakes
3. Cookies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%