MGonzalez Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 8:15pm
post #1 of

Is this regular flour?

Mary

12 replies
m0use Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 8:17pm
post #2 of

No, cake flour is much more finer grain and you usually don't have to sift it. Some people though do recommend sifting it just the same.

MGonzalez Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 8:20pm
post #3 of

I looked for it at the store and didn't find anything that was labeled "cake Flour." Can you not get this at the grocery store?

m0use Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 8:28pm
post #4 of

Yes, you should be able to. One brand that you should be able to find is called SoftAsSilk. But I don't know off the top of my head who makes it.
Godiva makes a lot of her cakes from scratch, I'm sure she would be willing to help you as well with some questions.

MrsMissey Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 8:35pm
post #5 of

..you can make this yourself by a mix of cornstarch and flour! The recipe is on the side of the cornstarch box!

p106_peppy Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 8:56pm
post #6 of

cake flour is made using a softer type of wheat. it doesn't have as much gluten in it, thus it makes softer, fluffier, more tender cakes. you should be able to get it in a regular grocery store, I've never known a grocery store taht doesn't carry it.

SarahJane Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 2:27am
post #7 of

I have some right now it's called softasilk made by pilsbury in a pink box.

tcturtleshell Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 3:40am
post #8 of

Mine is Swan's Down Cake Flour. It is found on the bottom shelf near the regual flour at stores in La. I have only used it in the Faux Fondant. I guess it worked like it was supposed to. The FF turned out very nice.

flayvurdfun Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 7:03am
post #9 of

We actually have that here in our commissary and we dont get much of the things out of the ordinary here......

AngelWendy Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 7:05am

Cake flour also has a different amount of PROTEIN in it which changes the baking chemistry a lot. Simply adding cornstarch to regular flour won't give you the same results, though it might help in some ways.

~AngelWendy

Godiva Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 12:34pm

All of the above...I've tried Presto, Swans and Softasilk, and Softasilk is by far the lightest...It never fails to deliver a light and fluffy cake; of course other factors contribute to that as well. I'm one of those who prefer to sift atleast once...It won't hurt icon_smile.gif You can also substitute it when recipe calls for regular flour...Just measure and add 2 tablespoons per cup. I goes a long way. icon_wink.gif

CarolAnn Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 1:50pm

My Swans Down box says it's made from the finest American winter wheat and sifted repeatedly so that it's 27 times finer than all-purpose flour. It's vitamin enriched too. It says on the box to sift before measuring. I usually just stir the flour in the canister and then measure. I rarely sift my flour.

MrsMissey Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 2:09pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWendy

Cake flour also has a different amount of PROTEIN in it which changes the baking chemistry a lot. Simply adding cornstarch to regular flour won't give you the same results, though it might help in some ways.

~AngelWendy

I have used the mixture of flour/cornstarch in place of cake flour, on many occasions and you couldn't tell the difference!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%