Buttercream Icing

Baking By mssnancy Updated 8 Feb 2006 , 10:31pm by cheftaz

mssnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mssnancy Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 4:44pm
post #1 of 5

I'm looking for a buttercream icing recipe that only uses real egg whites, granulated sugar, and butter. Does anyone have a recipe like that? Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 5

Sounds like you're looking for an Italian Meringue Buttercream (it also has water & cream of tartar)!

I don't have mine with me, but Martha Stweart has one (I believe on her site) that many people here use successfully, and I got mine out of Dede Wilson's book (The Wedding Cake Book)

mssnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mssnancy Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 5

No, it doesn't have cream of tartar or water, just the three ingredients listed in my first post. Thanks for your help. icon_biggrin.gif

hn87519 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hn87519 Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 5

Technically you could make an Italian Meringue Buttercream without water or cream of tarter. You would put the sugar directly on the heat like making caramel, and then not add any cream of tarter.

I would advise you to use the water and cream of tarter. It makes the process easier.

cheftaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheftaz Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 10:31pm
post #5 of 5

This is my white chocolate bc. What I do is omit the white chocolate add 1 (not always tho)more egg white and more sugar (sorry don't know how much cuz just go by taste) probably about another ounce or two though. I also add vanilla to taste. Hope this helps

8 oz white chocolate
12 oz (3/4 lb) unsalted butter
4 large egg whites
4 oz sugar

melt chocolate--set a side to cool
whip butter until light and fluffy--should turn white, tansfer to large bowl
whisk egg whites and sugar over a hot water bath until sugar is dissolved,(120-140 degrees) transfer to mixing bowl and whip until stiff peaks form
fold melted cooled chocolate into butter then fold in the egg whites

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%