Icing Cakes

Decorating By scrapmomof3 Updated 12 Mar 2007 , 11:08am by Cakepro

scrapmomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrapmomof3 Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 4:28am
post #1 of 8

I have made two cakes since my first Wilton class and I'm just not 100% satisified with the outcome of how they look after being iced. For one, I cannot seem to get that 'perfect' smoothness...I have tried using parchment paper and paper towels, but nothing works so far. Really, it is my sides that don't look so hot.

Can you give me some advice or tell me how you go about icing your cake?

Thanks,

Lisa

7 replies
ashley87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashley87 Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 4:33am
post #2 of 8

i have the same problem! once i get the top smooth, the sides look funny, and vice versa! I try to make cakes that have a lot of decoration so that the base doesnt matter!

megankennedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megankennedy Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 4:36am
post #3 of 8

alot of people love the melvira method - i am going to try it soon

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 4:47am
post #4 of 8

I also couldn't ice a cake smooth. I had trouble with the top and the sides. Now, I use the Melvira method using a very dense paint roller. This method works perfectly. There is a tutorial on here using that method. It is great and I am so thankful that Melvira shared that idea.

wolfyjules Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wolfyjules Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 4:48am
post #5 of 8

If you are using butter cream icing, take a large cup or pitcher and fill it with hot water and then microwave it for about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Almost to boiling. Careful handling the hot plastic cup or pitcher.
Then place all the icing spatula that your using to ice the cake in the hot water. Then with let the blades warm up, wiping them on paper towel before lightly going over the icing without pressing just gliding over the cake and let the heat from the metal spatula melt the icing smooth.

I have used this method for years and so many people ask if my cakes are fondant after looking at them.

ONLY use slight pressure when you start to smooth out the icing to shape the cakes, then the hot spatula to put finishing touches on all the sides.
Just a thought that works for me, you can try it if you want and see if it works for you .

ENJOY and HAVE FUN!

scrapmomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrapmomof3 Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 5:10am
post #6 of 8

I did try the heat method and it seemed to work a bit, but still didn't get it completely smooth.

On my last cake, I didn't put enough icing on, and today I thought I put on too much. I put it all on top and started to spread it towards the side. Once I start to ice the sides that is when it gets tricky.

Guess I just need to keep practicing. My kids say I am just being to hard on myself.

Lisa

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 10:48am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapmomof3

On my last cake, I didn't put enough icing on, and today I thought I put on too much. I put it all on top and started to spread it towards the side. Once I start to ice the sides that is when it gets tricky.Lisa

I use the icer tip to get my icing on evenly. It works really well for me, you may want to try it out. Some people like it and some dont so you never know.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 11:08am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapmomof3

I did try the heat method and it seemed to work a bit, but still didn't get it completely smooth.

Lisa

Try misting your cake with a fine spray of water, and then smooth your cake. This is how I smooth mine, and how I teach my students to smooth theirs. It comes out flawless.

Don't be too hard on yourself. icon_smile.gif Icing a cake beautifully is something that definitely takes practice. Every time you do it, you get better!

~ Sherri

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%