How Many "illegals"?

Business By ashley87 Updated 13 Mar 2007 , 9:14pm by MrsMissey

Sugarbean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbean Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 7:17pm
post #91 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs4492

My question is how many orders a month did you have prior to building your shop? Did you have steady clients that wanted your cakes? How did you get the orders?

I took pictures of every cake I made. Dh made me a website, and people to see my "talent".

I did not have steady clients when I went into business. I have been getting orders by presenting "unique/different" cakes at the wedding show, driving around town with my website on my vehicle, and word of mouth from friends and family who have tasted my cakes.

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 7:19pm
post #92 of 121

Thanks Cakery for the reply.

My husband and I don't mind so much putting "building the shop" on the equity loan we currently have on the house - 4 years ago that's how we got a new tractor.

I have the catch22 problem: being illegal and not being able to advertise to get the business to justify building the shop!
I feel the word of mouth route would be even more helpful if I could just make little cards for people to go along with the cakes I GIVE them.

SCPATTICAKESCREACTIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCPATTICAKESCREACTIONS Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 7:23pm
post #93 of 121

IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE THAT IS IN SC AND IT LEGAL....I REALLY SEE ANYTHING ON THE LINK THAT WAS PUT ON HERE EARLIER THAT REFERS TO BAKING...IT IS CATERING TALKED ABOUT CATERING (THAT INVOLVES MEATS AND OTHER HIGHLY PERISHABLES)...HELP US ALL GET LEGAL!! TELL ME WHERE TO FIND THE BLACK AND WHITE OF WHAT I HAVE TO HAVE AND WHAT I HAVE TO BE!! THANKS

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 7:25pm
post #94 of 121

Why do you guys think that some states do and others don't allow home baking?

Cakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 7:26pm
post #95 of 121

I started out just for fun....to make cakes for my kids. Made a cake now and then for family or a friend....word passed on and church folks called....then my husband told people at his work....got orders from that. Did like Sugarbean....passed out business cards...did bridal shows and took cupcakes to local business's with cards....and I ran some small ads in the local newspaper. I took in business cards to the local florists, bridal shops, and party supply places. Anything to get your name out there. Of course this was when they weren't as strict either with the health dept., but now....here in Missouri, if you even pass out a business card...it's advertising, so you have to be legal. I know this whole thing is such a big deal....if you should or shouldn't be legal and such. But if you don't at least check it all out....you may be sitting here a year from now and wondering where you would be with your orders or your business if you just had done the checking in to it. GO FOT IT!! Last year 2006 I did a total of 58 wedding cakes....this year as of today...I am booked with 38!! It's a decent business for me.....not my soul provider though....my husband has his job....but it's a FULL TIME job for me and as big as I want it to be without doing the whole BIG TIME shop store like in town.

Diane's Cakery

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 7:27pm
post #96 of 121

SCPATTI:
look at the link provided by KelleyM for your specific state - SC

Kelley is very knowledgeable about this subject and probably wouldn't mind if you PM'd her.

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 7:31pm
post #97 of 121

Right now, I'm just selling cakes at cost; but I really want to have my own business!!! Tennesse has a new law in place where they will be licensing home kitchens and I am in the process of getting my license (Food Safety Class is 100.00 and actual license is 50.00)!!! I don't do a lot of cakes, but right now, I'm getting cake orders through word of mouth and I think it's time that I earn something from these cakes that I make!! So, I should be done with my licensing (have redo my basement) by July!!!

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 7:35pm
post #98 of 121

I often have people tell me I should "start a business," "sell your cakes," "make money from your hobby."

When I tell them why I can't (illegal), they almost always look at me like I'm crazy and ARGUE with me, like they think I'm making excuses. icon_rolleyes.gif

There's almost always the assumption that it would be an easy way to make some cash.

The thing is, even if I did want to turn this into a business, I would have to do it full time to justify the expense of building a second kitchen etc.

I don't want a full time job! If there were a way for me to do a few cakes here to sell, I probably would, but I don't want to have to make tons of cakes in order to cover my expenses.

So for now, I'll stick to being a stay-at-home mom and make cakes for family for free from time to time.

Anyone else in this situation?

jnoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jnoel Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 7:43pm
post #99 of 121

SCPATTICAKESCREACTIONS - I'm in SC (Columbia) and own a business with a commercial kitchen (not a bakery - I just do cakes at home for family). The most helpful thing for us when we were setting it up was to call the people at DHEC. You can get a lot of info from their website and printed materials (like the link that was posted earlier), but it's hard to get through all the jargon to find out what you want to know. The people there were EXTREMELY helpful in answering all our questions. I must say SC has some really strict requirements, but the inspectors were all so knowledgeable and friendly - they just wanted to help us do it right.

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 7:44pm
post #100 of 121

I guess I am like most people who do this for a hobby. I have occasionally made cakes/cookies for profit.

For vairous showers and parties, instead buying a gift, I am asked to bring the cake. Or I am the one who makes the cakes/cookies for family birthdays. I take pictures of what I do so I can have a protfolio ready to show whenever I am ready to do this full time.

I am tooooo chicken to quit my full time job (with beneifts, etc..) and go into the bakery business.

heiser73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heiser73 Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 7:45pm
post #101 of 121

What about doing the copy righted images? That is just as much illegal as selling cakes without a license, isn't it? I don't know a lot about it so I'm not sure but that is what I was told. Nonetheless, I think we all have done something that was illegal at least once in our lives. And if my illegal thing is selling cakes than I think that is pretty good!!

The point is that we shouldn't be judging other people here at all. I have a hard time believing that it's because there are illegal cake decorators that are taking business from the legals. I mean what if they just like 'other' person's work better. What if they become legal, you still will have the competition, right?

I know all of you legals that have posted are extremely talented and I'm in awe over you but I'm not at your level whatsoever..so I'm not going to put the money and time and energy into becoming legal until I get there and have enough business to warrant such risks!

I don't want to offend anyone here at all, but I'm feeling like I'm a horrible person here because I sell cakes and I'm not legal. I'm a SAHM with not a lot of extra money and time to do that right now, or even the time to do this full time. Right now its fun and I love it and it keeps me sane. I sell about 4 cakes a month, if at some point I start to make a lot more, than of course I would do that, but I just can't right now and I don't think I should be judged for my choices in this matter.

We can all have our opinions and get them across in a way that doesn't make each other feel bad.

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 7:58pm
post #102 of 121

Heiser73, only you can let anyone make you feel badly. I am illegal as they come and they haven't made me feel badly yet. I know what I have to do and I see their side of it. As far as the copyrighted cakes.........wow! you can start a whole new controversial post on that. I've seen it on here before. No one wants to believe that they can't use the character pans and other copyrighted pictures and logos and trademarks. As far as I'm concerned, I don't care what they use. I just know it can get you in a lot of trouble just like illegally making cakes. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Diane

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 8:04pm
post #103 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by da757deevalibra

I was just going to type about how funny this topic is.....why is it now that people who may have started out as homebakers are legal now are having such a problem with "illega"l bakers. OMG give me a break....all of this is for the Government to make even more money off of the people and if you are only doing a few cakes a month why add more bills to yourself if you don't have to.

Like Ladivacrj said if they like your work and want their party/reception to be a hit they will pay the money to you not matter who may charge less.

TRUER WORDS WERE NEVER SPOKEN!...........it's all about the gov. wanting thier freakin piece of the pie!

i got my own place....and i frankly don't care what other people do.....heck i've even given some of the illegal decorators in my town my overflow business.

it is expensive getting your own place started.....but on the other hand i CANNOT imagine the pain in the butt it must be making cake from home....getting the mess everywhere and working with the tiny lil mixer and oven.....i don't see how you guys do it.
i tried making a wedding cake in my home kitchen once....it was like an episode of "I LOVE LUCY"....that was enough for me.

i break the law in my own way....sometimes i don't wear a seat belt.....and i've gotten a couple of tickets....so?

my fav person said once..."he who is without sin....cast the first stone"

peajay66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peajay66 Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 8:10pm
post #104 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionladydi

Heiser73, only you can let anyone make you feel badly. I am illegal as they come and they haven't made me feel badly yet. I know what I have to do and I see their side of it. As far as the copyrighted cakes.........wow! you can start a whole new controversial post on that. I've seen it on here before. No one wants to believe that they can't use the character pans and other copyrighted pictures and logos and trademarks. As far as I'm concerned, I don't care what they use. I just know it can get you in a lot of trouble just like illegally making cakes. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Diane

Right on Diane. Anyone can choose to do business the way they want. However, IF you get caught YOU have to suck it up and pay the price. And, IMO, if you DO "get caught" you have no right to complain about it, no matter WHO reported you to whatever official.

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 8:15pm
post #105 of 121

OK, I gotta tell ya, every time I click on the home page I see this word illegal and it was driving me up a wall....................LOL don't get all crazy on me but being of hispanic origin ya gotta know the first thing I thought. Now that I know what you all are talking about I'll take the knot out of my panties and go my merry way.

SORRY TO GET OFF THE SUBJECT AND PLEASE NO ONE BE OFFENDED

heiser73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heiser73 Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 8:42pm
post #106 of 121

Maybe I was looking into things a little too much, and I apologize.

For the record, I don't care what anyone else does either, and I want everyone on here to be successful in whatever they do, and however they do it.

It wasn't my intention to try and start another controversial subject on the copy right stuff, I use copy righted things as well, I was just using it to make a point.

I hope I haven't offended anyone! I'm sincerely sorry if I have.

dolfin-Sorry for the continued use of the word "illegal", I'm just too lazy to write illegal decorator each time. I hope I haven't offended you!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 10:19pm
post #107 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfin

OK, I gotta tell ya, every time I click on the home page I see this word illegal and it was driving me up a wall....................LOL don't get all crazy on me but being of hispanic origin ya gotta know the first thing I thought. Now that I know what you all are talking about I'll take the knot out of my panties and go my merry way.

SORRY TO GET OFF THE SUBJECT AND PLEASE NO ONE BE OFFENDED

icon_razz.gif That cracked me up! When I saw the whole 'illegals' things, I was like, what?? What does that have to do with cake? icon_biggrin.gif Then I read it ~ lol.

Now here's the thing.....why are some people so nice and keep appologizing for expressing their opinion - not wanting to offend anyone (God love 'em!!) but others could care less who they offend?

I am in CA and getting licensed means renting commercial kitchen space, etc. I am a single mother of 4 so that is a challenge, but I am trying. I, too, am afraid of getting caught so I am reluctant to pass out my cards, etc. Forgive me for a moment while I play the devils' advocate.....

I respect those of you who are licensed and if I went to all that trouble and had my business undercut by those that didn't, I would be pi$$ed...it's that simple. Us illegals (still laughing at that!) should put ourselves in their shoes..... how would it feel to struggle and finally get legal and then constantly lose business to the lady next door who does it out of her garage?

That said, licensed or not, I would never rat someone out....I don't care if they are stealing 'my' business or not. But I am a strong believer in karma so that's why..... and I suppose if I am selling illegally then that karma will get me eventually too..... icon_confused.gif

I find it........well, incredible, that a now-legal business never sold an illegal cake prior to becoming licensed. The sad truth is we all have different situations and not all states are the same. Some, you just have to pay $10 and have an inspection, others are more rigid/costly and CA is flat-out impossible to do from home. As for those who admit to selling illegally prior to getting licensed but rail against the 'illegals', I am truly baffled and can't help but see why this is interpreted as hypocricy. icon_sad.gifI wonder if we would all be more understanding if everyone were having to deal with the same laws and requirements?

This is what it comes down to....if we sell illegally, we run the risk of getting caught.......sound about right? So we need to accept the consequences/responsibility or don't do it at all.
As for all the morality, 'those in glass houses' as they say..... and 'they' are right....I think that it's time to put the soapbox away 'cuz no one is perfect! icon_lol.gif Instead, start a thread about all the stupid, laughable crap we have all done in our lives....now THAT would be fun!

CupOfButter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupOfButter Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 12:44am
post #108 of 121

How did you just jump out there? I always baked cakes for friends family etc...hubby suggested I sell them, called health department and found out it was illegal to do from home. Took several months to convince myself if I wanted to potentially "waste" our money if I was unsuccessful or just decided to quit. Decided for once to take a chance.

Where did the money come from? My Hubby

How did you drum up enough business to pay the bills? We paid cash for my shop so I have light, water and insurance to pay for. Since lots of people already knew about my cakes business picked up pretty quick. For the first few months if I was short (especially after buying cake oys) I just used my personal money to pay them.

How much debt (estimate) do I have to look forward to before I turn a profit? Depends on how much money you have to invest and the cost of things in your area. Could be a little, could be a lot.

Where you working another full time job and quit to persue this? I was a stay at home mom.

How did you keep your house from belonging to the bank? I would never risk my family's home for this business....its too unpredictable. If you have t risk your home and financial well being I say don't do it.

CakeLadyM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeLadyM Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 4:44am
post #109 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupOfButter

How did you just jump out there? I always baked cakes for friends family etc...hubby suggested I sell them, called health department and found out it was illegal to do from home. Took several months to convince myself if I wanted to potentially "waste" our money if I was unsuccessful or just decided to quit. Decided for once to take a chance.

Where did the money come from? My Hubby

How did you drum up enough business to pay the bills? We paid cash for my shop so I have light, water and insurance to pay for. Since lots of people already knew about my cakes business picked up pretty quick. For the first few months if I was short (especially after buying cake oys) I just used my personal money to pay them.

How much debt (estimate) do I have to look forward to before I turn a profit? Depends on how much money you have to invest and the cost of things in your area. Could be a little, could be a lot.

Where you working another full time job and quit to persue this? I was a stay at home mom.

How did you keep your house from belonging to the bank? I would never risk my family's home for this business....its too unpredictable. If you have t risk your home and financial well being I say don't do it.

Well, CUP, it's nice that you and your hubby were well-off enough financially to take the leap, especially if you were already a SAHM. Not everyone is, though.

And there's a very fine line between a Saturday "hobbyist" who bakes for family/friends etc., and the ones who sell "illegally."

I agree with your last paragraph, though. "If you have to risk your home and financial well being I say don't do it."---Right. So would anyone with any sense of commonality.

It's actually boiled down to such a mute point. Sell enough cakes to open a shop of some kind? Great. Do it then.

Don't sell enough cakes to open up a shop? Fine. Why stew about it then?

Somewhere in the middle? Try to do what's right. And if you can't? Don't tell anyone! icon_rolleyes.gif

-M-

CupOfButter Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 1:38pm
post #110 of 121

I'm not sure what you mean about the fine line between hobbyist and those who sell illegally. I never sold cakes before I got my shop I just enjoyed doing it and we have lots of friends and tons of family so anytime we went to get togethers I brought a cake or 2 as presents for the host/hostess. Never even thought about selling them til my hubby brought it up; I just really enjoyed doing it for people and still do (getting paid makes it a bit more enjoyable icon_wink.gif ). I was shocked it couldn't be done from home when I called the HD, but the law is the law and well I didn't wanna break it.

I know not everyone is as lucky to just have the funds to finance their own venture; I know I am fortunate to be able to do so. Thats why I said if you are gonna create financial difficulties for yourself and family I wouldn't do it....That would create more than financial difficulties....The stress of having to pay monthly bills etc would cause me to probably resent doing cakes and take my love of it away. You may have to sell a lot of cakes to justify having a shop.

My shop is by appointment only since I only do custom orders and I only take things I will enjoy doing...not sheet cakes, plain cakes etc. This helps me to not get bogged down and burned out. I have 4 kids so I don't want to sacrifice my time with them either.

If anyone has any questions, I'd be more than happy to help.

Also...I am a newbie and the more and more I read on CC I see that many times people are taken in a negative way...hard to know how something is meant when it is written.....I am not being negative in any way and hope no one is taking my posts in the wrong way. I was just answering the questions some1 posted as being helpful to have answers to. I love helping out and sharing my experiences - that is my intention.

Have a great day!

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 2:38pm
post #111 of 121

Well, glad you are here Cupofbutter. Welcome! icon_smile.gif

ShyannAutumn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShyannAutumn Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 3:04pm
post #112 of 121
Quote:
Quote:

I've seen it on here before. No one wants to believe that they can't use the character pans and other copyrighted pictures and logos and trademarks. As far as I'm concerned, I don't care what they use. I just know it can get you in a lot of trouble just like illegally making cakes.

Ironic isn't it. I, myself, won't make copyrighted cookies/cakes because it's illegal, yet I tinker with cookies from my home.

Ohhhh well, I think I can handle the warning from the HD then I could with Walt Disney's attorney standing at my door with a summons.

But that's me....

Risque I still giggle over your cakes (LOVE'm) thumbs_up.gif

CakeLadyM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeLadyM Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 3:09pm
post #113 of 121

CUP, I hope there was no offense taken at my post either. It was not directed at you, more of just a generalization.

And that I was agreeing with your final statement, nothing more. We are here to share.

-M-

CupOfButter Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 3:13pm
post #114 of 121

No no offense at all I just was reading on other topics and realized how written things can and are taken offense to since u can't hear tone of voice etc. I am not easily offended at all but I know others can be. icon_smile.gif

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 6:13pm
post #115 of 121

Yes, I know just how the written word can be taken an interpreted.

I for one..that started from my home ALMOST 30 years ago when it wasn't even an ISSUE then...can understand how frustrating it is to some that the thing that you love the most, the thing that satisfies you the most after home and family ...could be the very same thing that can get you into trouble!

For me...as soon as I found out that I couldn't and shouldn't be doing cakes from home was enough to make me stop doing them and to persue other venues.

I had a small novelty shop in my small town and the money that I made there I invested in turning a large empty space in my home into an "APPROVED KITCHEN".

at that time it was allowed in my state and in my subdivision as long as I didn't have any commercial traffic or vehicles on my property.

I Moved out of my home and into another shop when I got too busy to maintain those requirements. I had my small bakery for about 5 years.

I moved down to Florida, thinking that I could bake from my home...by the time I got rid of everything and moved into my place and called the Health Dept for my inspection....

Imagine my surprise when I was told NO MA'AM..you cannot do this!

I have been saving, working and going to school and not baking anything since '00. Worked myself to death, worked in places like ice cream parlors with 15 yo bosses (LOL) and saved everything I could to open my shop....

Sometimes, you MUST postpone your dreams, work and sacrifice to make them come true...

NOT EVERY "WANT" should be instantly gratified...

so, having worked myself to the point that I only have a few years left in this business, am I MILITANT about Legal vs. Not? YOU BETCHA...

do I care...? You BETCHA...and I will stand on my SOAP BOX for as long as I so wish...

Will I turn you in? NO. I too believe in KARMA. But, I do believe in INFORMING my clients that preparing foods for sale in a home is NOT something the state allows.

and if you are down the road, or up the street undercutting my prices..

Well, all I have to say to those people..is.

"GOD DON'T LIKE UGLY!

lol

Ok, that said.....

HAPPY BAKING EVERYONE!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 6:19pm
post #116 of 121
Quote:
Quote:

GOD DON'T LIKE UGLY!

Truer words were never spoken. icon_biggrin.gif

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 6:41pm
post #117 of 121

I getting an ugly feeling about this whole thing again.

And am politely requesting that this thread is locked and the key thrown away.

Please!!!!

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 6:47pm
post #118 of 121

I hate it when this subject comes up and I told my self I would just pass over it.

I don't know how to put this.

I just want to say to the ones that bake a cake here and there and sell to friends and family, Beware. I would not admit it on a web-site, any web-site nor would I put in my web-site address, or personal information on a commuicating site.

I know you don't want to think this way but I have been around the block and learned you can't always trust everyone.

Sorry

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 7:02pm
post #119 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladivacrj

I getting an ugly feeling about this whole thing again.

And am politely requesting that this thread is locked and the key thrown away.

Please!!!!

thumbs_up.gif ...request granted! Thanks for all the input everyone!

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 9:04pm
post #120 of 121

Did someone break in to the vault? icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%