Help Me Prevent A Cake Disaster!

Decorating By Urooj Updated 12 Mar 2007 , 9:05pm by Urooj

Urooj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Urooj Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 12:18am
post #1 of 7

I am making a castle-like cake in the near future. I wanted it to have four 3-D rectangular pillars on the corners of a 9x13. (Hope that makes sense icon_smile.gif )

I needed ideas as to what I should use to make the pillars. Would it be stable enough if I cut out 5" pieces of cake, covered it in fondant and stuck it in with a dowel rod? Would that tip over?

6 replies
lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 12:32am
post #2 of 7

I haven't made one, but I've read about making the pillars out of the rice krispie treats recipe (minus the butter), then wrap them with fondant. Be sure to do a search, too; you'll probaby find some great helpful hints.

sbcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sbcakes Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 12:40am
post #3 of 7

I am also making my first one for a cake order at the end of the month. I am following the directions of someone else here on Cake Central, but they used ice cream cones wrapped in fondant. That's what I am going to try. I am doing a practice run soon...we'll see! I have also heard of using PVC piping?
LL

Urooj Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 12:57am
post #4 of 7

lsawyer, so i should just use marshmallows and the rice krispies in the recipe I use?

sbcakes, would you use anything other than BC to attach the cones onto the pillars? Unless if you're only using the cones...

Thank you so much for replying!

sbcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sbcakes Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 1:13am
post #5 of 7

I believe that you will just use the ice cream cones and glue them together with royal icing. I am pasting the directions I was given by jenntatum...

"I used a square cake on bottom and the round on top. The whole cake is covered in fondant. I used a fondant cutter/emboser with the ridged wheel on it to make a brick pattern on the sides and the towers.
For the towers I took two of the cake style ice cream cones (not the sugar ones) and glued them with royal icing end to end. It's th small ends together. I also found that I need to file some pieces off the bottom to make them smooth so the would be flat. I just used a fingernail file for that. When they were dry I rolled a piece of fondant around them. (I used the wilton fondant for these cause it seems to be more forgiving and holds up well.) I did the same brick pattern on the towers as I did the cake.
To assemble the cake and towers I just did the cake like you would a normal stacked cake. I did notch the ends of the cake so the towers would fit in a little tighter. I took sugar cones and coated them in buttercream and rolled them in pink sugar crystals. I then glued them on the top of the fondant covered cake cones with royal icing. For the three towers in the middle of the cake I used different sized cake cones that I cut to be different sizes. I also used a dowels to secure these to the top of the cake. So they wouldn't fall over!
To add the detail I used buttercream to make all the vines and the border. I had some royal icing flowers I put on the vines. They were drop flowers. For the door and walkway I cut out a piece of fondant."

Hope this helps!

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 1:45am
post #6 of 7

Yes, urooj--just the marshmallows and rice krispies. You might want to have a bit a melted butter on standy-by, just in case. As I said, though, I haven't made these, but this is what I have read in the other posts. I hope someone will correct me if I've mistated anything!

Urooj Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 9:05pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you so much for your advice! It really helped. I will search for a good rice krispie treat recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%